Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts on picking up MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.

This car has limitations, I came from the 2018 q7 camp and it had all the sensors and things to keep you honest while driving. Model Y has lots of safety features missing(no cross rear traffic alert?) and no parking sensors. The blind spot warning is also very iffy! I still love the car because it’s an EV, no gas and it looks small but had lots of space. Auto pilot is ok and I haven’t had any phantom braking issues.

Tesla supercharger and Tesla OTA updates are probably the strongest points. It feels like the 1st or 2nd gen iPhones…some didn’t have features like the androids but when they did get to iPhone they were second to none(FaceTime for e.g)

As far as Phantom breaking. Mine at first was terrible and has gotten much better with software updates YMMV.
Nothing wrong with the Ioniq 5, except that you will then be at the mercy of EA and the CCS charging infrastructure. The Tesla Supercharger network is far superior to the CCS infrastructure and I would not want to get stranded somewhere because of a bank of EA chargers are offline.

Do what you feel is right, Ultimately you seem to be doing the right thing. Wait until tomorrow see what is announced, and then take delivery Thursday of your car. If ya don't like it just take the loss and sell it. Life is all about living and learning, we all have to make mistakes. I know several people who bought vehicles they thought they loved on the test drive to turn around and sell it a few months later. "was too small" "didn't like the ride" etc.

My experience with phantom braking is that it has improved since I took delivery of my 22 MY last June. I have learned how to trust the autopilot and hover my foot next to the accelerator at times when I think it could phantom brake which allows you to override the braking essentially. I have USS on my car and still have the parking measurements active, they have been the entire time lol. Every time I drive the car, I absolutely love it, it's fast and sporty and very comfortable overall. The suspension is a little stiff but it's only noticeably uncomfortable on really bad roads and now the suspension is even softer than mine is apparently. The fundamental problem with non-tesla's is the charging infrastructure for road trips, if you don't plan on taking the Ioniq 5 on roadtrips, then by all means buy that car. It cannot be overstated how having confidence in the supercharging network gives Tesla owners a huge advantage over other EV's still.

I will add that my wife and I only have one car, so having the supercharger network was a deal maker for us. If we had an ICE car and then wanted a second electric, I may have purchased a non tesla, but overall the tesla MY is the best car I've ever owned and I have a huge smile on my face every time I drive the thing, it's great.

Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.
Tesla has its advantages and disadvantages like any car manufacturer. FSD is not perfect and the influencer videos you see of it working perfectly will not be your experience. You have to have a little faith and understand your own car's limitations.

Really good feedback so far! Thanks everyone I should also mention supercharging is not an influencing decision for me. No plans to take this vehicle on a road trip. I work from home. Just looking for an around-town/city car/150 mile range vehicle.

Really good feedback so far! Thanks everyone I should also mention supercharging is not an influencing decision for me. No plans to take this vehicle on a road trip. I work from home. Just looking for an around-town/city car/150 mile range vehicle.

If you only care about in-range then check out the Bolt or Bolt EUV. You could save a ton of money.
Hatchback: 2LT + adaptive cruise $31.9k.
EUV: adaptive cruise standard on the Premier ($33k) then $2.2k to add Super Cruise (highway limited).
They're eligible for the tax credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 804son
I've driven mine around SLC for years and not encountered any bad phantom breaking on the roads in/around the city. HW4 will not be coming to the 3/Y for years so no reason to wait. Mine is old enough that I have USS but quite honestly I've been driving years before this technology was developed so it's nice to have but I really don't care one way or the other. YMMV

If you're not planning to take road trips phantom braking shouldn't be a consideration. It tends to be worse on the open road and if you're using it around SLC you won't see much of that. That said, I take mine on long road trips a couple of times each year and love it. Once the braking issue gets resolved it will be that much better.

Reactions: 804son
If you only care about in-range then check out the Bolt or Bolt EUV. You could save a ton of money.
Hatchback: 2LT + adaptive cruise $31.9k.
EUV: adaptive cruise standard on the Premier ($33k) then $2.2k to add Super Cruise (highway limited).
They're eligible for the tax credit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I prefer something a bit larger that I can occasionally drive the family of 5 around in.

Reactions: Dayreg
I've driven mine around SLC for years and not encountered any bad phantom breaking on the roads in/around the city. HW4 will not be coming to the 3/Y for years so no reason to wait. Mine is old enough that I have USS but quite honestly I've been driving years before this technology was developed so it's nice to have but I really don't care one way or the other. YMMV
Great feedback. This swings me back to the MYP.

If you're not planning to take road trips phantom braking shouldn't be a consideration. It tends to be worse on the open road and if you're using it around SLC you won't see much of that. That said, I take mine on long road trips a couple of times each year and love it. Once the braking issue gets resolved it will be that much better.
Good to know. So on a busier freeway phantom breaking seems to happen a bit less in your experience?

Do what you feel is right, Ultimately you seem to be doing the right thing. Wait until tomorrow see what is announced, and then take delivery Thursday of your car. If ya don't like it just take the loss and sell it. Life is all about living and learning, we all have to make mistakes. I know several people who bought vehicles they thought they loved on the test drive to turn around and sell it a few months later. "was too small" "didn't like the ride" etc.
Good advice. I obviously liked it enough to order so may need to just give it a shot.

Reactions: MARKM3
I have a 2023 MY without the parking sensors and it bugged me a lot out of principle until my wife got her ID4. I definitely prefer not having parking sensors to the constant beeping I get out of the ID4 pulling in or out of my garage (I swear I'm more likely to hit something due to the distraction). Anyway, I find myself able to park just fine in the Model Y. Outside of the supercharger network the big plus of the Tesla is just how fun they are to drive. Both my wife and I like the ID4 but we honestly prefer the Model Y. I had some initial buyers remorse and no car is perfect, but right now I like it so much that if I got another car I'd be back to choosing what Tesla to buy.

Once caveat though -- if you value a smooth ride over a sporty one I'd take a look at the Ioniq 5 (Hyundai does have the best parking sensors in my opinion). I thought I preferred a smooth ride and was initially concerned with the "sporty" ride of the Model Y, but now I love it. Still -- something to consider. Honestly I think a lot of the EVs out there are good so it's tough to make a choice and feel absolutely sure of it.

Reactions: Dayreg
If you are interested in the Ioniq 5, why would you feel a need to pay the added cost for the MY Performance? Most would argue the MYLR and MYAWAD's standard features exceed the Ioniq 5's highest end Limited Edition car, which starts at $52,600. Last I checked, most Hyundai/Kia/Genesis dealers were also marking up their EVs quite a bit, so their online MSRP isn't necessarily indicative of your actual price. Tesla is also eligible for the $7,500 tax credit whereas Hyundai is not. While some people really like the unique looks of the Ioniq 5, I personally think it's hideous and appears cheap.

In short, it's a no-brainer decision to me, Tesla is clearly the better value.

I will give you my thoughts for what is worth. I would not choose to go with a different car company when buying an EV outside of Tesla. They are years ahead of all other manufacturers. The other reason would be residual values, the Tesla will be worth more in 3 years than the Hyundai, which is US is still viewed as a chevy competitor (nothing wrong with that of course). I would put my money on Tesla, as I have actually, getting my MYLR in March, hopefully sooner rather than later. People that paid $70k for their MYs are feeling the pain now, but they should have known they were buying an overpriced car when the year before the price was only $53k.

Good luck with your decision.