Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now the worst time in history to order a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of necessity (car accident in October), I need a new car. Have decided to go electric, and have narrowed it down to the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and Tesla Model Y. With the ridiculous "market adjustments" for the IONIQ5 right now, that sort of ruled it out for me.. no interest in giving a random Hyundai dealership an extra 10-15k for nothing.

But it seems like right now might be the worst time to order? Despite the $3750 credit, demand is softening hardcore and prices are expected to drop in the next few months, so it won't surprise me to see big price adjustments next year..

In addition, the removal of USS with no clear path forward for people who order their car right now... AND the leaks about new radar potentially coming in Jan/Feb next year, the leaks about new cameras in the headlights on those M3 photographed.. and the potential for HW4.. like, aside from the $3750, is now the worst time to order?

What are the chances that someone who ordered a MYP right now would be offered a free upgrade path to the new headlight cameras/HW4/radar to return functionality to smart summon, autopark, etc? How has that been handled historically?

My worry is that ordering now has sort of the "worst of all worlds" feature set for the MYP with big changes potentially coming early next year.. and being stuck with a car that winds up having lower resale due to lack of features

Personally I would wait if you can, but be prepared to wait a potential long time, for example for HW4, it might be awhile. If you need the car now then go for it, you will get the AMD chip and comfort suspension and the parcel shelf, all nice upgrades! I wish I had the comfort suspension on my 2021.

If your set on ioniq 5 you need to shop around. There are dealers that will sell it for MSRP.

It's not the worst time in the world. If your financing it now would be the time as rates are headed higher. If you have no car how would you wait?

You also have a lot of negotiating power on used examples right now. Some of them with very low mileage.

There will always be new features so waiting to get the perfect feature set is not a good way to go because as soon as those features are added, more new features will be on the horizon.

Reactions: Kokukenji
I have the "benefit" of not being able to buy a MY or MYP at this time, as my Ioniq 5 has been
at the dealer for repair (dead 12v battery) for 46 days now (long story). I have filed a lemon law claim
but it may take a few months to resolve. By the time my case settles (hopefully to my satisfaction),
I can see where the market is, and what features are added or deleted at that time.

Reactions: jebinc
I'd hold off until Jan/Feb to see what happens as far as USS/radar/cameras/pricing/etc. Nothing worse than "settling" for something only to regret it later. Been there..done that. I'll wait to see what the beggining of the 2023 brings before deciding to order or not.
That's how I feel too. Tesla is calling me or texting me almost daily on my order to ask me to take delivery. Of course, this could just be because they have too much inventory from people holding off, but I feel they're trying to clear these out for next year and re-structure to have models priced accordingly to take advantage of the rebates. I may be completely wrong, but like OP said, if it makes sense to wait a few months and get a much better deal, why not wait it out and see? Just rent various EV's until then to make sure it's a car you like.

Reactions: RedSupraT
I’m thinking the same thing. Tesla is trying to clear everything out and it seems many are very excited about the deals Tesla is making for you to take delivery. But I feel that excitement will be short lived when they find out if they had just waited a month or two and could have gotten a Tesla with all new sensors. It’s already leaked the 5mp cameras are in production, custom hw4 chip in production, radar announcement next month. Even indications that hd radar will have the parking sensor capability. Some theorize you will have FSD driving either on hw3 or hw4 and each will have known capabilities and hw3 will definitely have more limitations but will qualify still as FSD capable. Anyhow, look around this forum and lots of people with hw3 citing huge safety concerns just using basic autopilot with vision only and phantom braking. But if you’re someone who trades in vehicles every 2 years, take delivery now with the instant credit and you’ll still be eligible in 2 years for the government credit. Take delivery in January and you’ll want to wait 3 plus years to re-qualify for the credit.

Last edited:
I’m thinking the same thing. Tesla is trying to clear everything out and it seems many are very excited about the deals Tesla is making for you to take delivery. But I feel that excitement will be short lived when they find out if they had just waited a month or two and could have gotten a Tesla with all new sensors. It’s already leaked the 5mp cameras are in production, custom hw4 hip in production, radar announcement next month. Even indications that hd radar will have the parking sensor capability. Some theorize you will have FSD driving either on hw3 or hw4 and each will have known capabilities and hw3 will definitely have more limitations but will qualify still as FSD capable. Anyhow, look around this forum and lots of people with hw3 citing huge safety concerns just using basic autopilot with vision only and phantom braking. But if you’re someone who trades in vehicles every 2 years, take delivery now with the instant credit and you’ll still be eligible in 2 years for the government credit. Take delivery in January and you’ll want to wait 3 plus years to re-qualify for the credit.
Yep, just received the sucker’s email feom them - delete.

I’m thinking the same thing. Tesla is trying to clear everything out and it seems many are very excited about the deals Tesla is making for you to take delivery. But I feel that excitement will be short lived when they find out if they had just waited a month or two and could have gotten a Tesla with all new sensors. It’s already leaked the 5mp cameras are in production, custom hw4 chip in production, radar announcement next month. Even indications that hd radar will have the parking sensor capability. Some theorize you will have FSD driving either on hw3 or hw4 and each will have known capabilities and hw3 will definitely have more limitations but will qualify still as FSD capable. Anyhow, look around this forum and lots of people with hw3 citing huge safety concerns just using basic autopilot with vision only and phantom braking. But if you’re someone who trades in vehicles every 2 years, take delivery now with the instant credit and you’ll still be eligible in 2 years for the government credit. Take delivery in January and you’ll want to wait 3 plus years to re-qualify for the credit.
I don’t disagree necessarily that waiting could be a good thing but it’s doesn’t seem likely all those things will be released right at the start of the year. HW4 is projected late 2023 and radar is pure speculation at this point and no ETA on cameras. If you want all those things, it seems more likely that you’d have to wait most of the year to get them all.

You asked if this is the WORST time to buy a Tesla? I am wondering the same. No USS and tons of stories of phantom braking and vision problems. I don’t plan on using FSD and mostly just autopilot but even using that seems to be a big problem. No USS and who knows when that software will ever get done. Maybe the new radar will support close in obstacles or better cameras for detecting low close in. How long are you keeping the car? 7-10 years? What’s a month or two just to make sure.

They asked the FCC to hold off on the announcement but why? Because nobody would place an order. An order on what? Something that is currently in mass production already. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.
We just drove a brand new Y without sensors (rented) 1,400 miles and had zero phantom breaking. We have a ‘22 M3 (also no phantom breaking, knock on wood), and I didn’t miss the sensors on the Y..though I might eventually since I can’t see any of the hood. I would like to wait for new cameras (that are already shipping) before we take delivery since we’ve waited almost a year at this point, and lost the sensors, and lost the rebate value and the FSD/boost that Tesla auto adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.