Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts on picking up MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know. So on a busier freeway phantom breaking seems to happen a bit less in your experience?
Yes, and the experience of many here I've read. I took two trips to SLC and CO in Sep and Oct 2022 and the PB was worst on wide open highway, clear sky and no other cars around. Never knew when to expect it. I'm confident a software update will fix this, hopefully before we take a long trip through CA in May.

I am literally waiting to hear more about HW.4 and additional upgrades before placing my order. I have time on my side and I bet Tesla will add HD radar, added cameras and HW.4 before end of year on all models. They are getting hammered with potential lawsuits for the FSD and if I am a betting man, the biggest reason prices dropped on the MY/3 was to blow through existing parts before launching new upgrades. Elon is no dummy and he’s all about cost savings and he also knows of the MX/S get Hw.4 after Cybertruck, people are going to start holding off on purchasing the other models. Just my .02. We will know more tomorrow and finally some of the speculation will calm down.

Reactions: blackSwan101
Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.
I was just like you. I wanted to wait and see what was being said on March 1st about the upcoming changes to the Model Y. I didn't want to make a mistake in taking delivery and then find out 2 months later that the Model Y will have HW4 and new cameras and that I should have waited.

However, I came to the conclusion that I will just go ahead with the planned delivery of my MYLR on thursday. Actually looking forward to it finally. It is still a great car and I've heard so many people enjoy the car. I ordered the car without knowing about HW4 and new cameras so I was fine with it then and I should be fine with it now. Especially when I really don't care about FSD. I also ordered it when it was $13k more expensive so getting it for $13k less is great.

You never know when all of these changes are actually being implemented and what the new price will be when the car has HW4 and new cameras.
When it comes to park assist I think this will be implemented in a few months. According to a software engineer working in Tesla in Holland this is a priority and they have a dedicated group working to get this working ASAP so I believe the parking assist feature will be here sooner rather than later.

I think as soon as you take delivery you will forget about HW4 and just enjoy the car, but hey, dont let me talking you into doing something you don't want.

This is just my take on it. Good luck.

Really good feedback so far! Thanks everyone I should also mention supercharging is not an influencing decision for me. No plans to take this vehicle on a road trip. I work from home. Just looking for an around-town/city car/150 mile range vehicle.

If this is the case, I have no idea why you are worried about / focused on phantom braking, since it basically only happens on autopilot, and autopilot around town really isnt very useful or somethng most people would use.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Coming from someone that has a brand new 2023 MYLR with major phantom braking issues here is what I think (see my other post about my experience).

1. If you plan on driving long range in this vehicle, do NOT get it (ex: road trips, and highway driving on desert type highways like we have in the Southwest, AZ, NV, CA, UT). There are other reasons not to get it for long range driving that I've now discovered, such as the significantly shorter range than advertised. But the phantom braking is what really makes the long drives unpleasant since you'll want to use some form of cruise control and the car will make that scary.

2. If you plan on city driving mostly, get it. It's a fun car to drive and the tech in it is pretty innovative and neat.

Also... a thing I've noticed about this forum. A lot of the "regulars" are hardcore tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car and their opinion is not to be trusted. Take their advice with a grain of salt. I got accused of being a bot, troll and dishonest just for posting my experience with phantom braking.

Reactions: voxel
Coming from someone that has a brand new 2023 MYLR with major phantom braking issues here is what I think (see my other post about my experience).

1. If you plan on driving long range in this vehicle, do NOT get it (ex: road trips, and highway driving on desert type highways like we have in the Southwest, AZ, NV, CA, UT). There are other reasons not to get it for long range driving that I've now discovered, such as the significantly shorter range than advertised. But the phantom braking is what really makes the long drives unpleasant since you'll want to use some form of cruise control and the car will make that scary.

2. If you plan on city driving mostly, get it. It's a fun car to drive and the tech in it is pretty innovative and neat.

Also... a thing I've noticed about this forum. A lot of the "regulars" are hardcore tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car and their opinion is not to be trusted. Take their advice with a grain of salt. I got accused of being a bot, troll and dishonest just for posting my experience with phantom braking.
While I'm not actually doubting your issues with phantom braking I think all the "issues" should be taken with a grain of salt as well as the "praising".

Have you ever concidered that other people might not have the same kind of experience with phantom braking as you have?
So other people that actually have not encountered so many phantom braking scenarios does not automatically make them "tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car".
I asked my friend about phantom braking on his MYLR 2023 and he said it has occured maybe 4-5 times and he said he uses it ALL the time.
He did not find it problematic at all and his autopilot works very well and he is no Tesla fanboy whatsoever. I don't know if it's because the roads here in Sweden are easier for the autopilot to navigate through maybe.

So while there probably are "tesla fanboys that will never admit to having a single issue with their car" praising Tesla to the sky the same goes for all the people registering on this site that does not even own a Tesla yet still hates on the car to the fullest with pretty much anything you can think of.
It's like some people only search for faults and issues about the car.
With that being said, I think that everything on a forum should be taken with a grain of salt not only "tesla fanboys".

Tesla is by far the best long range driving car. I don't experience any of mentioned PB events. I already know potential "freak out" of the car scenarios, so I disengage the AP if I approach that kind of situation because the road is not perfect and environment is not perfect, and that's why the AP needs human assistance during the limitations of machine/computer/sensor in general.

I placed my own delivery on hold until after Investor Day (note: you only get one "courtesy hold"). Honestly though, I doubt we will get any real detailed info on HW4.0 as it relates to Model Y and 3. They may say all new S/X produced in the last xx days have the new computer and "updated" (but not additional) cameras - not sure they will even mention the new radar.

As to the 3/Y, I could easily see them either:

a.) not mentioning it at all...
b.) saying they will remain on HW3 for the "foreseeable future" or...
c.) indicate they will eventually be on HW4 but not any time soon (with no indication of when "soon" is)

If they give anything more specific about HW4 for 3/Y it may accompany verbiage like "expect a significant price increase" - just to prevent tanking the current sales.

By waiting, you have to ask yourself "If HW4 were an option listed on the order page now...how much would I pay for it? $1000, $3000, $7000??". I suspect at $3000 or less it might have a number of takers. Any more than that and it could like EAP/FSD with a comparatively small take rate.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
I placed my own delivery on hold until after Investor Day (note: you only get one "courtesy hold"). Honestly though, I doubt we will get any real detailed info on HW4.0 as it relates to Model Y and 3. They may say all new S/X produced in the last xx days have the new computer and "updated" (but not additional) cameras - not sure they will even mention the new radar.

As to the 3/Y, I could easily see them either:

a.) not mentioning it at all...
b.) saying they will remain on HW3 for the "foreseeable future" or...
c.) indicate they will eventually be on HW4 but not any time soon (with no indication of when "soon" is)

If they give anything more specific about HW4 for 3/Y it may accompany verbiage like "expect a significant price increase" - just to prevent tanking the current sales.

By waiting, you have to ask yourself "If HW4 were an option listed on the order page now...how much would I pay for it? $1000, $3000, $7000??". I suspect at $3000 or less it might have a number of takers. Any more than that and it could like EAP/FSD with a comparatively small take rate.
Do you own other Tesla cars? If not, you need to stop worrying about "what if" or "next best thing".
Tesla offers so many other things that you can enjoy while driving beyond the HW3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and so on.

Reactions: RedY23
I just did a 1800mi round trip down to CA and back to WA. Only slight braking I had was a guy that got out of his car and the car wasn't sure about which direction he'd go. It was not a brake as much as it was just beginning to use caution. I did have Autopilot w/ FSD enabled so I could change lanes. Had one case where the car canceled the lane change due to an oncoming car in the fast lane at a high rate of speed. This was shocking to the ppl in the car, but this guy was going over 100mph and I can't blame the car for aborting. That was however the most violent abort I've ever had in the car in the 1.5 years I've had it. You'd have to decide if you want to disable emergency braking if it's a concern. Most this is a on/off feature set.
Your foot can assert the car thru those uncertain situations. I've had cases with shiny chrome milk trucks in the past but nothing happened this trip.
Our new M3 came w/o ultrasonics it's driving ok but yes you wouldn't get a warning about object distance. Some point that should roll out.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw and amo2u
I'm in the 'I don't want PB events, but I do want DRCC' camp so I sold my Model Y for a small profit. If I was rushed to buy a car I would have kept it and just disabled all the AP and AEB functions until Tesla resolved the issue. Since I can wait, I wait to see what HW4 brings.

Bottom line: PB can be dealt with, up to and needing to disable all AP (including cruise control.) I was not forced to make that compromise so I didn't.

Do you own other Tesla cars? If not, you need to stop worrying about "what if" or "next best thing".
Tesla offers so many other things that you can enjoy while driving beyond the HW3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and so on.
Had a 2013 Model S P85+ for 6 years...ironically, held out for an August 2013 build to get the parking sensors (note: never regretted holding out for that). I actually appreciate the later "comfort" versions of the 2023 suspensions since ride quality has always been a Tesla weakness IMO, of course I had hoped the rumored air suspension would arrive but that seems unlikely at this point. Regardless, I appreciate what you are saying and will make that call soon enough!

I have a 2023 MY without the parking sensors and it bugged me a lot out of principle until my wife got her ID4. I definitely prefer not having parking sensors to the constant beeping I get out of the ID4 pulling in or out of my garage (I swear I'm more likely to hit something due to the distraction). Anyway, I find myself able to park just fine in the Model Y. Outside of the supercharger network the big plus of the Tesla is just how fun they are to drive. Both my wife and I like the ID4 but we honestly prefer the Model Y. I had some initial buyers remorse and no car is perfect, but right now I like it so much that if I got another car I'd be back to choosing what Tesla to buy.

Once caveat though -- if you value a smooth ride over a sporty one I'd take a look at the Ioniq 5 (Hyundai does have the best parking sensors in my opinion). I thought I preferred a smooth ride and was initially concerned with the "sporty" ride of the Model Y, but now I love it. Still -- something to consider. Honestly I think a lot of the EVs out there are good so it's tough to make a choice and feel absolutely sure of it.
Ride quality is a definitely a factor where you live too. I live in Boston where the roads are littered with potholes and craters. My 2015 Model S hates Boston roads. But it LOVES Florida roads and rides so quietly and smooth when I make the trip down south in the winter.

Reactions: iloveplywood
CCS cars are now worth taking a look at again....without SC network I'd never buy one but now....

CCS cars are now worth taking a look at again....without SC network I'd never buy one but now....

From that story:

================

UPDATE 4:05pm PT: According to the mobile app there are 10 Superchargers for a total of 100 stalls open to non-Teslas, 8 are in New York and 2 are in California.

================

it also calls out "Select locations". If someone is planning on using CCS to charge at tesla superchargers, they probably should wait until its either confirmed that every supercharger they might use is going to be equipped, or at a very minimum, the ones they plan on using are equipped.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision.
Here in rural New Mexico I use Autopilot for about 80% of all my driving. I love it! It's my favorite feature. I haven't had any phantom braking for the past six months or more. It could be annoying for the first year or so I had the car. But I learned to adapt. Most of the annoying behavior was either fixed or I learned to work around it.

If you expect the car to automatically handle most situations for you and you are only there in case of emergencies then you may be disappointed. But if you see yourself as an active participant where the car does most of the drudge work but you have to give it nudges then it can be a good fit.

I agree with this. I pretty much just use the MYP to drive around my area (city/highway driving) and I love it so far. It's a blast to drive and love just plugging it in at night. Sure the ride can be a little jarring at times but it's not much different than some of the sports cars I've had in the past. With that said, the whole range thing scares me when it comes time to make short trips that are gonna require stops to use a supercharger. For those occasions, I'd probably just use one of my ICE vehicles.