Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Bill SB2651 - EV parking/charging station requirement penalty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this perhaps a case of the offender assuming you were done charging because there's no external indication on a Model S that charging is underway?

It was a ChargePoint charger so it clearly states "Charging complete" when the car is no longer charging. Until then it displays the time the vehicle had been charging. (about 2 hours at the time it was unplugged)

Yeah, and those stalls make even less when they are ICE'd right? That bill to penatlize the parking lot owners also needs some teeth to get people not to park ICE vehicles in the charging stalls. I know - I know, everyone already knows this. How can we get this second part added for consideration to that bill for next year?

Confirmed. Saw this on Hawaii News Now.

one minor point... they say "Electric vehicle owners get a lot of other perks besides free charging." ...not necessarily.
Just look at Blink... Oh, out of business.
Just look at BetterPlace... Oh, Out of business.
Just look at OpConnect... Oh, I never use them. (but their chargers are rarely Leaf'd)
Point being that public charging does not equal free charging. It' just that free is better.

I was at Hawaii Kai Towne Center yesterday (the Costco shopping center in HK) and noticed they finally installed a charging station. It's mounted on the pillar in front of where the Yogurtland used to be (close to Starbucks). They also posted a sign in front of the stall to restrict parking to EV charging only. Unfortunately, they didn't reserve any additional spaces on either side and it's a VERY narrow stall to begin with, so it will be a super tight fit for any of us to use.

I didn't stop to check it out, so I don't know if there's a fee. It is not a sponsored charger and I didn't recognize the hardware as any of the network chargers that I've seen before.

I was at Hawaii Kai Towne Center yesterday (the Costco shopping center in HK) and noticed they finally installed a charging station. It's mounted on the pillar in front of where the Yogurtland used to be (close to Starbucks). They also posted a sign in front of the stall to restrict parking to EV charging only. Unfortunately, they didn't reserve any additional spaces on either side and it's a VERY narrow stall to begin with, so it will be a super tight fit for any of us to use.

I didn't stop to check it out, so I don't know if there's a fee. It is not a sponsored charger and I didn't recognize the hardware as any of the network chargers that I've seen before.

Thanks for the heads up. Hawaii Kai has an outsized percentage of the EV drivers on Oahu it seems, and there aren't nearly enough chargers so this is good news.

Passed by again yesterday and took a closer look. There's two small stalls that have been painted green, ostensibly these are reserved for EV charging. However, I think it's only a one port charger, so perhaps an MS could take both stalls and be ok from a practical standpoint, although it's generally not good manners as another EV couldn't get next in line.

I can't emphasize enough how small (length & width) the stalls are. There's really no way that any of us could fit into a single stall. It's like they only looked at the Leaf and Mitsubishi MiEV when they were thinking of where to put the stall. It's a shame really, since the Costco side has so many extra wide stalls to begin with.

Also, the signage isn't really there yet, so I suspect these will be ICE'd more often than not.