Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Legislative update: Please help out if you live in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm minded to think that there is "no rush" to repeal the dealership monopoly on in-state new car sales. Why? Well, as we all know Tesla pre-sells every car it can make, and any sale that is thwarted by a dealership monopoly is simply diverted to the next person on the waiting list. It would actually make little-to-no difference to Tesla Motors if the law were repealed... they couldn't sell more cars. This issue extends to all sorts of other discussions, like "how come Tesla doesn't advertise on TV" etc. - there's no point increasing demand 'cos it'll just increase the waiting time.

Secondly, from the customer perspective... if you live in Texas and you want to buy a Tesla, you can do it. There were 1,600 Model S's in Texas last time I saw a figure, and that might be 2,000 now. Texans aren't having a lot of trouble getting their cars.

So what's the point of repealing that dealer monopoly law?

Perhaps for the future, when the Model 3 is out and there are a lot of people trying to buy them. By then, the early adopter phase will have somewhat passed, and sales will be made to people who aren't "enthusiasts" like those before them - enthusiasts being those who don't mind being hassled by cops while driving around with a car that has no registration on it except for the tiny paper slip stuck to the inside of the back window... those who don't mind going to get their own inspection within 7 days of picking up the car, and so on. The normal car buying experience involves filling out some forms at the dealership, and driving off the lot. Tesla buyers currently have a little more work to do, which may not sit well with some future potential buyers. Also, service/maintenance of Tesla cars has to undergo some sort of change, I can't see the exemplary, highly labor-intensive after-sales service occurring for millions of Model 3 cars. (Having said that, perhaps Tesla intends to parlay reduced mechanical repair/service work for increased customer service labor, revolutionising that additional sector of the industry and making themselves even more irksome for the existing dealership sales+repair status quo... different discussion I guess).

Until then, I am not sure what the advantages of repealing it are, beyond getting rid of a dumb law.

If you can get it repealed, it will be hard for dealers to add additional restrictions like other states have done. Also, it's annoying for Tesla employees not to be able to discuss financing and pricing. However, the only way to get it repealed is to pony up more money than the dealers did and purchase the legislators.

And there's the $2500 Texas credit that requires a dealership middleman to claim it for you.
Other than that, MartinAustin speaks my thoughts. It was easier buying my Tesla than our recent ICEs. But then I'm a regular online buyer.

the only way to get it repealed is to pony up more money than the dealers did and purchase the legislators.
Oh, I don't think it will require jumping into the pay for play game - in the long run.
"No girdle ever cured a pregnancy."
After public opinion gets to the tipping point, the legislators now owned by the dealership lobby will convincingly declare they supported Tesla all along. Or lose.

Last edited:
Who you refer to as Mr. Seattle was actually an early Roadster and Model S owner in San Antonio and one of the organizers of our Austin/San Antonio owners group. Once a Texan always a Texan.

Thanks! Pulling for change this legislative session for Tesla too.

- - - Updated - - -

Mod note: please see continuing discussion here about Texas efforts.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38817-2015-Texas-Legislative-Session-Discussion-Thread