Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii discussion on v5.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, This might help.
If you are on 5.0 or higher, turn off the energy saving mode. I have 5.6 and wifi. I had a good wifi signal. I turned off energy saving mode and as soon as I did, the clock popped up to show the scheduled update I opened it and selected now. When I did, it dropped the good wifi signal, went back to 4 bars on G3 and started the download. It took 25 minutes, and was successful.

Hey folks, This might help.
If you are on 5.0 or higher, turn off the energy saving mode. I have 5.6 and wifi. I had a good wifi signal. I turned off energy saving mode and as soon as I did, the clock popped up to show the scheduled update I opened it and selected now. When I did, it dropped the good wifi signal, went back to 4 bars on G3 and started the download. It took 25 minutes, and was successful.

So, I've been obsessively checking for the update for a few weeks now. Finally, it shows up. I tap on the download now and up pops a message on the dashboard that says "Car needs service". Then a few minutes later, the headlights come on and the green light around the plug turns blue. Now I've got the blues. Anyone else here have this experience?

So, I've been obsessively checking for the update for a few weeks now. Finally, it shows up. I tap on the download now and up pops a message on the dashboard that says "Car needs service". Then a few minutes later, the headlights come on and the green light around the plug turns blue. Now I've got the blues. Anyone else here have this experience?

I have not had that problem. Give the SC a call. They'll check if your car has reported any issues. I had a similar message before and when I called they said the car had not reported anything and that it was therefore likely just a glitch. In the end, it went away.

I don't know if this will help, but before when my UI was getting buggy, I would reboot both screens (press and hold the top buttons on the steering wheel and then the same for the scrolling wheels). If this is affecting your charging port it may be more than this though. I agree you should call the SC. It's easy for them to pull the diagnostics on your car and see if something is amiss.

Jeff, that's normal. I've sat in my previous MS and watched the updates occur. That's what happened Saturday night again with RED. It seems to cycle through the features on the car turning each thing on and off. Enough people now have commented that have seen this, we now can consider it part of the process.

BTW, each time my cars updated, the dash reports that "Car needs service" message.

As most of you know, I am technically challenged. I love technology, but I'm clueless about how things work. Anyway, as Akikiki said, it was all normal as it was explained to me by the guy I called. Something happened later on that was not quite normal, but the guy I called said it happens sometimes. The first guy said it would take 1.5 hours. 3 hours later I called because I couldn't see evidence of it being done and I couldn't open the door. The guy opened the door for me and had me push a lot of buttons and eventually I was able to go for my Sunday drive. All's well that ends well...

Well, hopefully no more bugs for you for a while. Being able to open the door is somewhat critical in being able to enjoy the car! :biggrin:
I guess one of the drawbacks of having a computer on wheels.

Jeff. Question, please. Did you have yours on UMC ready for charge or already charging when this started?

I've had mine plugged in to the 240 with UMC once before ready for charging and I started the download. It didn't like the charging connection. The download message said, it was unable to proceed, try again later. Just on a hunch, I unplugged the UMC and tried again. This time it started and continued. Maybe it wasn't the connection to charge to the system, but it worked.

Saturday night, I was on wifi and turned off Energy saving. Soon as I turned off Energy saving, the alarm clock signaling download was scheduled, appeared. But as it started, it ignored wifi and went back to 3G with 4 bars. The entire download and install took 25 minutes. But 10 minutes into the download, my neighborhood lost power. It was off for 3+ hours. However Tessie2 had switched over to 3G before it started and finished without interruption on the 3G. That could have been a mess if I had been on wifi instead. whew, close one.

OK, today I drove from Kailua to Kapolei, as usual, and checked my wh/mi average for the trip. Going from "low" setting on the suspension to "standard" appears to have made no more than a 1% difference in efficiency. If running along the highway in "standard" setting helps us defuse the media circus about flaming Teslas, I'm all for it during the critical next few months.

Got my update to 5.8 on Monday. No issues with either the update or subsequent operations since then. Didn't check the suspension changes yet, but I'm not clear if the change is to get rid of the low setting at speed altogether, or does it just not go as low as before?

Full-charge (not range mode) range dropped from 180 to 179 with the new FW. Also, I'm not bothered by the sleep mode/wakeup issues - by the time I put my bags in the back, get seated and phone put away and the g-door opens, the car is booted up and ready to go.

Got my update notice last night, but haven't uploaded yet. Am on 5.6 right now. Anyone on 5.8 notice any differences driving on the freeway now that the car doesn't lower? I've been reading conflicting stories on other threads as to higher/lower Wh/hr and rated range.

I moved from 5.6 to 5.8.149.22, and recently without my knowledge, the car moved itself up to 5.8.145.24 (My car is so so smart).

I've been driving now almost a week. I don't notice any driving difference with it not dropping. Everything is fine. Don't worry, go for it.

Last edited:
It has not been an issue. I don't see any difference in the performance. However, with all the traffic along the H1 corridor going from Mapunapuna to Waialae Nui, I am lucky to get up to 10 miles an hour for the majority of the ride. And, nanimac, the drop from 134 to 127 for our 40 kWH doesn't seem to affect the range. I still end up at the same range when I get home. Charging has been the same. I did freak out a little when the Google map turned off the satellite view at night but when I read the release notes, I released why it was happening. I do notice a slight drop in loading the map when I am around Kaiser Moanalua hospital. That is the only place I've seen that.

No issues after the update here either. I never noticed the car dropping at speed anyway and could only tell by looking at the settings screen and seeing in the UI that it had made the drop, but then I rarely see north of 60 MPH for any extended time anyway.