Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Safety Check Sticker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to find this, but wasn't able to. Does anyone know, when taking delivery of a new Tesla in Hawaii, do they put the sticker on before you get to the delivery center, or will I have an opportunity to install a license plate bracket and frame, and put the sticker on the bracket myself? Hoping the latter, or at least that I'll have a chance to speak to someone before delivery, to arrange this. I also want to get my front end wrapped before putting on the front license plate holder (or is that a bad idea?), so I'm hoping to take delivery without the front plate holder already affixed to the bumper.

When scheduling delivery, will I have a chance to speak to a human, to make these arrangements? Thanks!

Tried to find this, but wasn't able to. Does anyone know, when taking delivery of a new Tesla in Hawaii, do they put the sticker on before you get to the delivery center, or will I have an opportunity to install a license plate bracket and frame, and put the sticker on the bracket myself? Hoping the latter, or at least that I'll have a chance to speak to someone before delivery, to arrange this. I also want to get my front end wrapped before putting on the front license plate holder (or is that a bad idea?), so I'm hoping to take delivery without the front plate holder already affixed to the bumper.

When scheduling delivery, will I have a chance to speak to a human, to make these arrangements? Thanks!
Yes, we know.

Talk to them. And its a worthwhile idea to make a trip by the SC to discuss it so they connect you to your car/request. Don't wait until the last minute and expect them to undo what they did and redo the way you want it. Talk to them in advance. Keeps every body happy.

The Safety sticker will be on the car when you pick it up. For the last couple of years, they have been adding a metal safety sticker bracket. The one that has a single hole for the screw to pass through and the sticker will display to the upper right side of the plate.
I personally think its great customer service/consideration that they don't just slap it on the bumper. Its considerate that they go out of their way to get the brackets and mount the sticker on them.

However, I like better if its a plastic plate behind the license plate instead of a metal bracket. Just so you know, you can go to Min's Plastics, 921 Kaamahu Place off Dillingham and behind IHS to get the skinny clear plastic plate. They have them made up, just the right size and have holes for the screws to pass through. Last time I bought a couple they were $20 plus tax. If you decide to go this route, go get it and take it several days before your delivery. Once when I wanted the sticker put on my clear plastic plate, I went back to my tech and nicely asked him to put a new sticker on mine so I was using the plastic plate and avoided the metal bracket scratch my car.

The rest of your question. In the past Tesla has been putting a chrome plate frame on too. As for front plate mount? Don't know, don't have one/use one. And you didn't say if you are picking up a S, X, 3 or your Semi. Can't help you with the wrap questions

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
Yes, we know.

Talk to them. And its a worthwhile idea to make a trip by the SC to discuss it so they connect you to your car/request. Don't wait until the last minute and expect them to undo what they did and redo the way you want it. Talk to them in advance. Keeps every body happy.

The Safety sticker will be on the car when you pick it up. For the last couple of years, they have been adding a metal safety sticker bracket. The one that has a single hole for the screw to pass through and the sticker will display to the upper right side of the plate.
I personally think its great customer service/consideration that they don't just slap it on the bumper. Its considerate that they go out of their way to get the brackets and mount the sticker on them.

However, I like better if its a plastic plate behind the license plate instead of a metal bracket. Just so you know, you can go to Min's Plastics, 921 Kaamahu Place off Dillingham and behind IHS to get the skinny clear plastic plate. They have them made up, just the right size and have holes for the screws to pass through. Last time I bought a couple they were $20 plus tax. If you decide to go this route, go get it and take it several days before your delivery. Once when I wanted the sticker put on my clear plastic plate, I went back to my tech and nicely asked him to put a new sticker on mine so I was using the plastic plate and avoided the metal bracket scratch my car.

The rest of your question. In the past Tesla has been putting a chrome plate frame on too. As for front plate mount? Don't know, don't have one/use one. And you didn't say if you are picking up a S, X, 3 or your Semi. Can't help you with the wrap questions
Lol, about the Semi! I might have trouble parking that at work. Picking up a model 3. Have a VIN, but no delivery date yet. I’m thinking I should at least wait until I get that, before I call or stop by, right?

Thanks for all the great info. I already ordered the two hole mounting bracket, but maybe I’ll get the plastic one from Min’s, as the thought of steel rubbing on paint does bother me.

The front plate holder for the model 3 is attached using 3M tape, so it would either stick to the paint directly, or the wrap. Just not sure if it would pull the wrap off, if stuck to the wrap, or if the wrap installer would be able to work around the frame, if stuck to the paint. Guess I’d better ask the installer.

Was going to go with Jun’s (found on Yelp). He seems to wrap a lot of exotic cars, and gets good reviews. Anyone else have any recommendations for wrap/tint?

M3, huh? I think you are too late.I think the front plate mount comes from the factory on the car.

Steel rubbing on that nice paint is what got to "invent" this thing in the first place. I took my idea to Min's and they made a couple before we figured out what worked best. (Thin, just a little smaller than the plate). The first design was when the sticker requirement was stacked vertically. The second and current design is horizontal. I think the metal bracket mounts the sticker sideways.

M3, huh? I think you are too late.I think the front plate mount comes from the factory on the car.

Steel rubbing on that nice paint is what got to "invent" this thing in the first place. I took my idea to Min's and they made a couple before we figured out what worked best. (Thin, just a little smaller than the plate). The first design was when the sticker requirement was stacked vertically. The second and current design is horizontal. I think the metal bracket mounts the sticker sideways.
Unless something has changed, the front plate holder ships in the trunk. I was at the Fremont factory a couple weeks ago, and saw a whole parking lot full of Model 3s, that were getting ready for shipment, and none had front plates, so hoping this is still the case.

33A871AA-D2E1-4284-A1F3-426BCA29989F.jpeg

The safety inspection bracket I bought is the horizontal version, with two holes. The plate where the sticker goes, is bent so that it shouldn’t contact the metal, at least in theory. I may buy some plastic washers, to keep the straight arm of the bracket from touching the car. Maybe I’ll test this on my current car, and if I don’t like it, I’ll go visit Min. Thanks for the advice!

I recall one of the earlier YT videos showing that the front plate bracket was drilled into the M3's front bumper :(:mad::eek:, so best to contact the Honolulu SC folks and politely ask if they can not install it, since it's part of their pre-delivery checklist to mount it. Keep in mind that legally they have to install it under the requirements of their license and safety check station requirements. At least that was the case in September 2016 when I took delivery of my X.

For tinting/wrap, I'll second the recommendation for Jun's Tinting. Peter does excellent work, and the fact that JN uses him for their high-end cars is testament to that. He's already done at least one 3, according to his Instagram feed. He did front end wrap & tint on my X and did a great job.

I recall one of the earlier YT videos showing that the front plate bracket was drilled into the M3's front bumper :(:mad::eek:, so best to contact the Honolulu SC folks and politely ask if they can not install it, since it's part of their pre-delivery checklist to mount it. Keep in mind that legally they have to install it under the requirements of their license and safety check station requirements. At least that was the case in September 2016 when I took delivery of my X.

For tinting/wrap, I'll second the recommendation for Jun's Tinting. Peter does excellent work, and the fact that JN uses him for their high-end cars is testament to that. He's already done at least one 3, according to his Instagram feed. He did front end wrap & tint on my X and did a great job.
Excellent suggestion and point about the front plate. Maybe you could take some Velcro or tie wraps and mount it long enough to get the safety inspection blessed.

But there's no registered license plate on the cars when we take delivery. It takes 4-8 weeks before it arrives. They might require that the plate mount be on the car in anticipation of the plate coming later.

I have my front plate mounted on a plastic plate with suction cups. Push it on and pass inspection. (I have spares, just cover the expense.)

Yes, we know.

BTW, do you just drive without a front plate?

Good advice, and thanks for the vote of confidence for Peter. Checked out his feed, and you're right -- he's already done two Model 3s! Hope to be his third, soon. :)

Excellent suggestion and point about the front plate. Maybe you could take some Velcro or tie wraps and mount it long enough to get the safety inspection blessed.

But there's no registered license plate on the cars when we take delivery. It takes 4-8 weeks before it arrives. They might require that the plate mount be on the car in anticipation of the plate coming later.

I have my front plate mounted on a plastic plate with suction cups. Push it on and pass inspection. (I have spares, just cover the expense.)
Interesting idea about the suction cup plate. I probably will mount the plate, eventually, as I'm paranoid about getting pulled over, and don't mind the look of the front plate (I'm actually not a big fan of the featureless M3 front end -- much prefer the MS mustache).

Maybe for delivery, I'll ask them if I can just use some temporary fastener, like painter's tape.

metal:( Plastic;) Even saw a carbon fiber one the other day.:cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: miyasat
I thihk only Model S is only model delivered with front plate mounted.

I'm not sure about what options there are for the Model 3 plate mount, but I have the Law plate holder for my X so it's not mounted on the bumper. Search in the TMC Model 3 forum. Am sure it's been discussed by now.

Also, Peter (Jun's Tinting) is awesome! I've used him 3 times for Xpel, once for chrome delete, and once for window tinting. :)

Reactions: Akikiki
There is a Law for the 3 now too. I've bought it, just haven't installed it yet.

Our 3 was the first one that Peter (Jun's Tinting) did for the Xpel wrap (front end only). It's gorgeous looking (pics on his IG feed). Peter's still working on getting my tint done - needed to order a larger roll to be able to do the back window.

Getting back to the original topic, ours did NOT come with the front license plate installed (didn't have to tell them not to put it on) and DID come with the metal safety check bracket with the safety check stickers on it.

Would you be willing to share what Peter charged for the Xpel wrap and tint (are you using the 3M product, or something else)?
Peter is wrapping the front end of my 3, tomorrow, in Suntek Ultra (same cost as Xpel Ultimate). He normally uses Xpel, so he had to special order a Suntek kit for me. Wanted the extra hydrophobic qualities. Tint on Friday, if wrap is cured.

BTW, @spleen, Peter mentioned your car, and I said, ‘oh that must be Spleen!’ Lol, don’t think he knows you as Spleen ;)

Reactions: nanimac
Peter is wrapping the front end of my 3, tomorrow, in Suntek Ultra (same cost as Xpel Ultimate). He normally uses Xpel, so he had to special order a Suntek kit for me. Wanted the extra hydrophobic qualities. Tint on Friday, if wrap is cured.

BTW, @spleen, Peter mentioned your car, and I said, ‘oh that must be Spleen!’ Lol, don’t think he knows you as Spleen ;)

I'm pretty sure that I didn't use that name with him ... lol

With so many new owners getting their cars lately, I wanted to remind everyone about the different ways you can attach the safety inspection sticker. There's putting on the body (bah). There's also a metal tag with a short arm that uses one of the license plate screw holes to hold it in place. (pretty good). There's many of us that have a license plate size clear plastic tag with an extension on the side for the sticker. These clear plates fit right behind the metal license plate, and are thin enough to allow the mounting screws to still securely reach the car. These license plate size tags do not scratch the paint like the metal tag does (sometimes). The clear plastic license plate sticker plates can be purchased a Min Plastic behind the IHS building. Cost for years has been $20 and worth it. They keep several available for walk-in purchase. Its worth the effort.

In an email response that I received from Jonathan @ the Honolulu Service Center, all cars are shipped with the front license mount NOT install on the car! It's in the frunk.
Also, the safety check that they do is installed on a plate and NOT on the bumper! Not sure who pays for their plate.
I will lso decline the installation of the rear badging when they arrive.

Not all stickers are not installed. I worked on one 3 yesterday that was installed on the bumper. But yes, the sticker is mounted on the tag. The tag is in the trunk with the plate mount and the plate frame, including the attaching screws.