Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
StephenM, Dear Happy Camper, So glad to hear you are back in the saddle again. What was the problem? What did they change to get it working?

It was pretty technical so I don't remember exactly what he said, but what it boiled down to was a bad connector that caused the 12V battery to not charge. That's why even though he swapped to a new one it died in 2 days. It took so long because he didn't have the part here and had to have them FedEx it from Cali.

If you fine gents (or ladies) wouldn't mine sharing - what was the difference in your insurance rates for your MS compared with your previous or other vehicles? Specific $ or just a general % difference is fine, but if you're feeling really generous, the actual insurance company and premium rate.

I'm just wondering how much I need to budget for my insurance premium rate for when I do get my MS and what the difference compared with my current vehicles are.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

definitely need a Tesla meet up this summer. Maybe more than one. We need to keep an eye open for an event that we can all show up to and steal the show, huh?

Have you folks given any thought to how you are going to mount/have mounted your front tag? Tesla's mount fits over the nosecone when they drill holes in the nosecone. (Not as attractive as other ways). I mounted mine first on the lower grill using long flat head bolts that I cut shorter. Now, I have moved it. (Lower). I like it. Pictures coming in next couple of days. But right now, think about it. It will consume some of the time.

Okay, watch carefully... Now you see it...

Now You don't... This is the Show-n-Go Hidden Plate

VERY COOL! Where did you buy this and how did you install it? Nice job!

Folks, Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions. This plate looks like the one, but is not the one supplied by Tesla with your car. This plate is mounted on a spring loaded hinged metal bracket. In its upright position it looks like an "L" from the side view.

I bought it on Amazon. I saw it on Youtube. Designed for show cars that require a license plate sometimes. (Sounds right, huh? Ours are surely Show Cars). There's an electric motor driven version, (same name, same company) but the reviews on it say its weak or flimsy and the motor "tires" out soon or gets dirty and quits working. So I opted for the "manual" version. Its called a "Show-N-Go". I guess I should have taken more pictures as I was mounting it, but sorry, didn't think of that. I mounts easier than the toliet bolts through the lower grill method and looks better than the Tesla mount on the nosecone.

"Show-N-Go" method. I like this better than the toliet lid bolt or nosecone mount method. Installation time was less than 15 minutes. The license plate you see has a spring loaded hinge and when you pull it out from beneath the car, it pops up and stays upright on its own. When you fold it down and slide it, the spring on the hinge works to apply pressure against the metal bracket underneath and keeps it down and out of the way. Simple and effective.

It costs about $46-55, and comes with mounting hardware for different designs. I used the enclosed rubber barrel nuts. I'll post a picture later of the barrel nut. Installation is simple. Position the bracket in the "plate up" position, align it with the center, and mark 3 or 4 holes within the slots on the metal bracket underneath the car. There's five slots to allow you to slide it forward or backward to adjust depth. I used the two closest to the "hinge" and one slot centerwise of the metal bracket. (I used the center slot, so my hole - about 6 inches from front would not come up to close to the radiator which is about 7.5 inches from the front lip of the car.) After positioning where I wanted it, I marked 3 holes with a magic marker. Used a 5/6" drill bit as recommended on the instructions and drilled into the plastic underbelly of the car. The rubber barrel nuts push up inside the plastic underbelly/plate on the car. Position the metal bracket over the rubber barrel nuts and run the Phillips head screws in. The screws hold the bracket, but also when the screws tighten down inside the barrel nut, they cause the barrel nut to squeeze or squat down pushing the rubber against the insides of the hole and binding the barrel nut tight preventing it from falling out.

Toliet lid bolt method. Works. Looks as good or better than mounting on the nosecone (IMO) but still doesn't look like it belongs there or the nosecone. This is the "3" toliet lid bolts pulled through the lower plastic grill method". With this method, the plate sits higher, and sits with the bottom of the plate on the black lower plastic lip at the front of the car. Take 2 each 5/16 x 3" toliet lid bolts and measure how far you want them to stick through the grill and through the holes in the Tesla mounting plate. After I had the right length, I cut and filed the ends so the nut just completely fits. I used needle nose pliers to gap the grill holes open a little to slip (twist) the bolts into the grill, so the threads stick out the front of the grill. This looks awkward until its covered by the plate. I used a dark flat washer to help hide the head of the bolt. I put some soft side of some velcro on the back of my plastic Tesla mounting plate, to protect the car's paint. Plastic plate against the car's paint is going to wear off the paint after a while. Match the plate to the holes and let the bolts come through, Run your nuts down on the bolts to secure the plate. Cover the nuts with the license tag and use the Torx 20 self-threading screws from Tesla to mount the tag.

Here's pictures of the bracket mounted under the car. And a picture of the rubber barrel nut.
Bracket_Top_View_01.JPG
Bracket_Side_View_01.JPG
Bracket_Side_View_02.JPG
Bracket_Side_View_03.JPG
Bracket_Bottom_View_01.JPG
Bracket_Bottom_View_02.JPG
Rubber_Barrel-Nut.JPG
Blind Fastner

Psst, guys, post your MS configuration in your TMC profile signature like nanimac did. Looks so cool.

Questions?

- - - Updated - - -

RodF, That's great. Fly back to the factory with one of those big suitcases you can get at the Swap Meet and bring it back. Just pay the extra bag fee.

Ref your comment "up for that, or down with it, or whatever the kids say..." Hey we are the trend setters here. We got the cars. You know any kids that have an S? I say let them settle for what we say up or down with it, eh?

Last edited:
If you fine gents (or ladies) wouldn't mine sharing - what was the difference in your insurance rates for your MS compared with your previous or other vehicles? Specific $ or just a general % difference is fine, but if you're feeling really generous, the actual insurance company and premium rate.

I'm just wondering how much I need to budget for my insurance premium rate for when I do get my MS and what the difference compared with my current vehicles are.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

VERY COOL! Where did you buy this and how did you install it? Nice job!

I use Allstate. The quoted rate is $530 every six months. Almost $200 more every six months than my Audi Q5, but Tesla also costs about 40% more than my Audi.

Psst, guys, post your MS configuration in your TMC profile signature like nanimac did. Looks so cool.

updated!

- - - Updated - - -

It was pretty technical so I don't remember exactly what he said, but what it boiled down to was a bad connector that caused the 12V battery to not charge. That's why even though he swapped to a new one it died in 2 days. It took so long because he didn't have the part here and had to have them FedEx it from Cali.

I dropped by the service center yesterday late afternoon to inquire about some license plate frames and to finally meet Barry / Luke. So glad to NOT see your car there. Congrats on getting her back and to Barry and the team for finding the root cause!

I used USAA. Best thing I got out of my involvement with the military. Mine went up about $100-150 every 6 months, I think. But I have been with them 40 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Spleen, Thanks for you know what. That was generous of you. I appreciate it. That was a first.

Just got access to my mobile app. Says mobile app remote access is off, but at least it's no longer saying your vehicle may not be ready. Papafox, nanimac & hawaiiskibum, you should check your apps. Getting closer!

My tesla app now says remote access is off :) Although now Tesla says completion date is 5-21-13...so might not make the boat next week :(

It costs about $46-55, and comes with mounting hardware for different designs. I used the enclosed rubber barrel nuts. I'll post a picture later of the barrel nut. Installation is simple. Position the bracket in the "plate up" position, align it with the center, and mark 3 or 4 holes within the slots on the metal bracket underneath the car. There's five slots to allow you to slide it forward or backward to adjust depth. I used the two closest to the "hinge" and one slot centerwise of the metal bracket. (I used the center slot, so my hole - about 6 inches from front would not come up to close to the radiator which is about 7.5 inches from the front lip of the car.) After positioning where I wanted it, I marked 3 holes with a magic marker. Used a 5/6" drill as recommended on the instructions and drilled into the plastic underbelly of the car. The rubber barrel nuts push up inside the plastic underbelly/plate on the car. Position the metal bracket over the rubber barrel nuts and run the Phillips head screws in. The screws hold the bracket, but also when the screws tighten down inside the barrel nut, they cause the barrel nut to squeeze or squat down pushing the rubber against the insides of the hole and binding the barrel nut tight preventing it from falling out.

Toliet lid bolt method. Works. Looks as good or better than mounting on the nosecone (IMO) but still doesn't look like it belongs there or the nosecone. This is the "3" toliet lid bolts pulled through the lower plastic grill method". With this method, the plate sits higher, and sits with the bottom of the plate on the black lower plastic lip at the front of the car. Take 2 each 5/16 x 3" toliet lid bolts and measure how far you want them to stick through the grill and through the holes in the Tesla mounting plate. After I had the right length, I cut and filed the ends so the nut just completely fits. I used needle nose pliers to gap the grill holes open a little to slip (twist) the bolts into the grill, so the threads stick out the front of the grill. This looks awkward until its covered by the plate. I used a dark flat washer to help hide the head of the bolt. I put some soft side of some velcro on the back of my plastic Tesla mounting plate, to protect the car's paint. Plastic plate against the car's paint is going to wear off the paint after a while. Match the plate to the holes and let the bolts come through, Run your nuts down on the bolts to secure the plate. Cover the nuts with the license tag and use the Torx 20 self-threading screws from Tesla to mount the tag.

And a picture of the rubber barrel nut.
View attachment 22050
Drill?:scared:
I tried the toilet flange bolt but like you I wasn't satisfied and ended up using a blind fastener well nut (1/4-20 X 1), looks similar to your rubber barrel nut, to secure some long bolts to the License plate frame. the trick with this was to mout the plate bracket upside down.
IMAG0090.jpg

More info here

Last edited:
OK, I'm game for a meet up. It would be great FUN! Don't think I'm going to get my car until mid June so hopefully sometime after that... PLEASE!!!

It's going to be a great summer!

I was thinking of just setting up a standard place to meet for the upcoming holidays. King Kamehameha Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Beer Day...
That way anyone can just show up at the appointed place during the holiday. that way the folks that are still waiting for their vehicles can get a look at them and see how the licence plates were mounted, Frunk/Trunk LEDs added, CCI added, Etc...
Someplace where there is a grill, for burgers and dogs....

dsmith, yes, yes you are right blind fastner. My version was the best name I could come up with. The instructions with the bracket didn't give those fastners a name. Good work. And thanks for the correction.

- - - Updated - - -

dsmith, sounds good. got my vote

I was thinking of just setting up a standard place to meet for the upcoming holidays. King Kamehameha Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Beer Day...
That way anyone can just show up at the appointed place during the holiday. that way the folks that are still waiting for their vehicles can get a look at them and see how the licence plates were mounted, Frunk/Trunk LEDs added, CCI added, Etc...
Someplace where there is a grill, for burgers and dogs....

dsmith, that's an excellent idea! There are 2 holidays you listed that will occur prior to me getting my baby, but it will still be fun to see all of your MSs. I'm thinking that the malls are all pretty crowded, especially on holidays. Maybe someplace like Kakaako Waterfront Park? There's lots of shade, lots of parking, maybe we could bbq, tailgate style? Or by the Mililani Dog Park. Again, lots of parking, lots of shade. Just a few ideas to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

Folks, Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions. This plate looks like the one, but is not the one supplied by Tesla with your car. This plate is mounted on a spring loaded hinged metal bracket. In its upright position it looks like an "L" from the side view.

I bought it on Amazon. I saw it on Youtube. Designed for show cars that require a license plate sometimes. (Sounds right, huh? Ours are surely Show Cars). There's an electric motor driven version, (same name, same company) but the reviews on it say its weak or flimsy and the motor "tires" out soon or gets dirty and quits working. So I opted for the "manual" version. Its called a "Show-N-Go". I guess I should have taken more pictures as I was mounting it, but sorry, didn't think of that. I mounts easier than the toliet bolts through the lower grill method and looks better than the Tesla mount on the nosecone.

"Show-N-Go" method. I like this better than the toliet lid bolt or nosecone mount method. Installation time was less than 15 minutes. The license plate you see has a spring loaded hinge and when you pull it out from beneath the car, it pops up and stays upright on its own. When you fold it down and slide it, the spring on the hinge works to apply pressure against the metal bracket underneath and keeps it down and out of the way. Simple and effective.

It costs about $46-55, and comes with mounting hardware for different designs. I used the enclosed rubber barrel nuts. I'll post a picture later of the barrel nut. Installation is simple. Position the bracket in the "plate up" position, align it with the center, and mark 3 or 4 holes within the slots on the metal bracket underneath the car. There's five slots to allow you to slide it forward or backward to adjust depth. I used the two closest to the "hinge" and one slot centerwise of the metal bracket. (I used the center slot, so my hole - about 6 inches from front would not come up to close to the radiator which is about 7.5 inches from the front lip of the car.) After positioning where I wanted it, I marked 3 holes with a magic marker. Used a 5/6" drill bit as recommended on the instructions and drilled into the plastic underbelly of the car. The rubber barrel nuts push up inside the plastic underbelly/plate on the car. Position the metal bracket over the rubber barrel nuts and run the Phillips head screws in. The screws hold the bracket, but also when the screws tighten down inside the barrel nut, they cause the barrel nut to squeeze or squat down pushing the rubber against the insides of the hole and binding the barrel nut tight preventing it from falling out.

Akikiki, Mahalo for the great info! Most of it is over my head, but I'll find someone to figure it out for me.

ddruz, did the extra pictures help?
Very helpful, yes, thanks a bunch. Would you be willing to post some pics of what the finished product looks like with your license plate attached (letters fuzzed out if you wish) both from the front and side? Any problem with air resistance at freeway speeds do you think? I'm debating what kind of permanent mount to install for mine. I've been leaning towards the standard Tesla nosecone mount but you now have me thinking. Haven't drilled those holes yet so my options are still open. Mahalo.

I may have mutterd something under my breath about the Blaisdell Center parking staff before, but they came through today...
Score 1 for the parking lot attendents at Blaisdell Center.
Short Story....
4PM graduation day at the Blaisdell with the parking lot Full.
two EV parking spots one charger. 1 Leaf (completed charging), 1 Buick Regal ICE.
1 Tesla MS in need of a charge. 1 Buick Regal that is not going anywhere for the next 4 1/2 hours.
Parking staff said OK. Just leave your car and let the Buick Regal owner wait for you to come back.

mmmmmm I should have taken a picture...

I may have mutterd something under my breath about the Blaisdell Center parking staff before, but they came through today...
Score 1 for the parking lot attendents at Blaisdell Center.
Short Story....
4PM graduation day at the Blaisdell with the parking lot Full.
two EV parking spots one charger. 1 Leaf (completed charging), 1 Buick Regal ICE.
1 Tesla MS in need of a charge. 1 Buick Regal that is not going anywhere for the next 4 1/2 hours.
Parking staff said OK. Just leave your car and let the Buick Regal owner wait for you to come back.

mmmmmm I should have taken a picture...

that is AWESOME!!!

dsmith, I read on TM that some else had this situation. And they too blocked an ICE in to wait. They even gave this situation and blocking the ICE a name. Its called, (wait for it, wait for it) Musking. Don't ya just love it? So appropriate, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.