Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sooooooo...what exactly do you LIKE about the car?? Sounds like the cons outweigh the pros but good to hear the greats and the not-so-greats that people have of the Model S.

I like the fact I can use my PV panels to fill it up and not go to the Gas Station!

All kidding aside - I do like the car - but I have searched the "All Knowing Internet" and find that the wind noise has pretty well been outlined by many others and seems to be an issue that "might be in redesign". Again, that was the big disappointment - but I did notice when I slow down below 60 it is not an issue.....not that I get a chance to drive over 60 here in Hawaii!

I appreciate all the suggestions and hints for corrections - and it is noted that I didn't do a test drive prior to buying based on all the rave reviews - and have really not done much to follow "early adopter issues" or to study all of the settings/configurations. As most things go - I will learn to live with the differences - but the noise and driving characteristics were a bit of an initial shock to me. Again, thanks to all for the suggestions.

All kidding aside - I do like the car - but I have searched the "All Knowing Internet" and find that the wind noise has pretty well been outlined by many others and seems to be an issue that "might be in redesign". Again, that was the big disappointment - but I did notice when I slow down below 60 it is not an issue.....not that I get a chance to drive over 60 here in Hawaii!

Not that I doubt your experience, but could you link to some of those reports of wind noise that you read about on the Internet? A quick Google search brought up some ongoing issues with pano roof wind noise (usually fixable by adjusting seals at SC) and some motor whine and road noise from the wheel wells (harder to fix but one person installed more sound deadening foam into the doors) but I was unable to find any links to posts about wind noise from the side mirrors. I'd be curious to read up more about it and try to figure out why I don't seem to have it (stretches of highway where I drive 65 or so).

Last edited:
@Hodges post above did raise an interesting thought that I had not considered - there's no spare with the MS, so what are folks planning to do if you get a flat? I'm pretty sure the MS doesn't have run flat tires?

Like ddruz, I carry a portable air compressor for those slow leaks. For a blowout or a big enough hole that the tire won't stay inflated long enough to drive somewhere, there's always Tesla Roadside Assistance to take it to the Service Center (or AAA to take it to Lex Brodie's, lol)

Update on status and timing: The status on my Ipad app changed back to a prompt to turn the remote access on via the vehicle touchscreen, which, if my suppositions are correct, means that my car is now on the island and in cell range. Apparently, there are a lot of cars coming in because the representative said that based on the volume, he will not be able to confirm the exact appointment time until Wednesday.

Last edited:
Like most owners, I had some curb rash on my wheels. Most of it happened the first two months of ownership. After getting accustom to the car, I haven't had any curb rash in the last 4 months. So I decided to get my wheels repaired. Even though I bought the AlloyGators, I decided not to have them put on the wheels. I'm pretty confident that I can avoid curb rash now. The guys did a great job.

This is the back driver's side tire. That was the nastiest example of curb rash - even took a chunk of my tire out. It happened coming out of the FHB downtown garage. Be careful.

Page_1.jpg

This is the front driver's side tire.

Page_2.jpg

Now I have to get some body work to get the nasty door ding someone put in my car.

Well we (my 3 year old and I) picked up our car at 10:00 AM Saturday 25 May at the Waipahu center - Lucky the Cab driver had GPS - my goodness not easy to find. Ok, before I go on my RANT,...I want to say there a quite a few things I love about the car. Some are clever, some are what interfaces should be, and some devices look like both of my other 2 cars, both MB's. SO my very first drive in the new car was out the driveway and onto the Highway back home to Kahala-that's when buyer's remorse "almost" set in!

Wow was I PO'd. The NOISE from the "AIR BRAKES" they call mirrors is overwhelming. We have an S550 and I've had Lexus 4xx's and they are so much better for interior noise and comfort compared to this electric WiND NOISE MACHINE! This is a serious issue both in terms of mirror design and cabin noise deadening. Another fine blunder is even though you can "Manually" retract the mirrors - they soon run into the window/environment - not closing/folding all the way...what a mess! Because of this wind noise I can't tell you how happy I am I didn't spring for the upgraded sound system. Of course I will really be upset if I try to park somewhere and need to retract them...requiring me to get out of the car first-ugh.

I set my driving in "SOFT OLD MAN MODE" and it was anything but soft. I have no idea how it will be when I put it in the more extreme modes. Funny - the car drives just like the Nissan Teana that my wife bought in China, made in China, and of course driven on excellent Chinese roads all over China for 2 years. The Tesla S didn't impress me on my first drive in it.....usually the telling example of the car. Front of car seems light - who know's what the back feels like as it seems to be just a bump or two away from not being stable.

So what happen to the "radar/proximity" alerts as one gets close to objects, available and standard on most high end luxury cars for the masses, i.e. MBs, Lexus, & BMW's ? Mysteriously absent in this car. Looked at website today - not an option....my goodness are we in the stone age?

I won't even go into seat controls as another poster has outlined those shortcomings. Memory settings?

I guess driving in Hawaii it won't bother me too much that I don't have a spare tire. If I was in my home in Lake Tahoe/Reno I'm pretty sure I would never buy a Tesla. I can't imagine driving to Las Vegas and being in the middle of the trip and having a flat tire, perhaps out of cell range - or even in range, I can't imagine how long it would take someone to get to the breakdown location.

I also have never had a car manufacturer tell me how to specifically close a hood/frunk so as not to damage it since it is - fragile!

So, not sure any of you go to the automated car washes on Kapiolani Blvd - but that seems to be a no-no with a TESLA. Seems that if you get out of the car, i.e. no heavy object in car, the parking brake is automatically set. Many places, unsure about the ones here in Hawaii, have an insurance restriction on staying in the car through a car wash - and others, like in Las Vegas - you sit right there....we shall see about that shortcoming in the near future - as I'm sure the Pearl White will be dirty soon. Too bad there wasn't a control button on the HUGE SCREEN that said push for CAR WASH!

Ok, my rant is almost over - I have calmed down enough to figure out I'll hardly ever go over 60mph here in Hawaii, that my wife will never drive the car - so memory seats are not required (In fact she won't get in the car...say's it smells like a dead cow - if she only knew), I can have it hand washed, I won't park in underground garages that are tight (Chinatown), I'll go get the car TINTED so that my 3 year old doesn't cook in the back seats (and we have a solid roof), I'll get a plastic - chip gard installed on the back bumper so my children don't destroy the paint getting in and out, and I learn how to set-up the car so that every time I walk through the garage it doesn't spring to life with lights flashing and door handles protruding and charger flashing. I love this car....

You appear to be that one in ten thousand that actually drives the car and has a lot more negative things to say about it than positive! Since you are one of the early adopters, be prepared to be even more disparaged if any of the real problems should surface.

You appear to be that one in ten thousand that actually drives the car and has a lot more negative things to say about it than positive! Since you are one of the early adopters, be prepared to be even more disparaged if any of the real problems should surface.

Well I'm not sure I have more negative comments than positive ones. Since I didn't list the positive it would be a little premature to think my negative list is bigger.

I appreciate your kind words for me to prepare for a "real problem", in the event it should ever surface. You have helped significantly.

Hmm... My smartphone app is showing, "Just because Nanimac's app is showing progress, don't expect yours to do so at the same moment, buster." Sigh, I still have the "mobile app remote access is off" message.

Edit one minute later:
Serves me right to doubt the soothsayer. I just checked my app and for the first time I received the ""My Tesla Could Not be Reached at This Time" message. Looks like the Nanimac early warning system is still functioning normally.

Last edited:
Hmm... My smartphone app is showing, "Just because Nanimac's app is showing progress, don't expect yours to do so at the same moment, buster." Sigh, I still have the "mobile app remote access is off" message.

Edit one minute later:
Serves me right to doubt the soothsayer. I just checked my app and for the first time I received the ""My Tesla Could Not be Reached at This Time" message. Looks like the Nanimac early warning system is still functioning normally.

mine is back to mobile app remote access if off..hmmm...read in other threads that some people had issues with their app today..back to waiting..but crossing my fingers my car will be leaving the mainland this week :)

Five years ago I bought my PV panels, racks, wiring and inverter at Grid Tie Solar Kits. I paid $20,000 for the parts and hired an electrician for $5000 to install them. The system paid for itself in 3.5 years. I got three quotes from the very few companies available at the time and they all wanted about $50,000. I'm just sayin'.
5 yrs ago the cost of solar panels was really high, the cost has dropped a lot since then.
Today you can possibly get a system installed for $20,000.

Nanimac, Papafox:
Just returned 48 hrs ago from my vacation, signed my final MVPA on Monday, and pressed the payment button about 45 minutes ago. Guess my car will be on next week's boat. I'll have to live vicariously through the rest of you.
For most of us who live on Oahu (excepting ddruz, who has a long commute from Haleiwa), our mileage tends to be lower than the average mainland resident. My prior car was only a commuting car, so I had less than 3K miles/yr. I'm sure the Tesla will become our weekend car, so the mileage would probably double. Still, a lot less than the mainland. If any of you are in the same situation, would any of you consider having the car inspected less frequently than once a year? It makes sense to get the service plan if you do intend on getting annual inspection, but it would be better to go ala carte if you have it checked every other year.
I wanted to specifically ask the Hawaii group, as we are more likely than the mainland owners to be in the low mileage category.

Nanimac, Papafox:
Just returned 48 hrs ago from my vacation, signed my final MVPA on Monday, and pressed the payment button about 45 minutes ago. Guess my car will be on next week's boat. I'll have to live vicariously through the rest of you.
For most of us who live on Oahu (excepting ddruz, who has a long commute from Haleiwa), our mileage tends to be lower than the average mainland resident. My prior car was only a commuting car, so I had less than 3K miles/yr. I'm sure the Tesla will become our weekend car, so the mileage would probably double. Still, a lot less than the mainland. If any of you are in the same situation, would any of you consider having the car inspected less frequently than once a year? It makes sense to get the service plan if you do intend on getting annual inspection, but it would be better to go ala carte if you have it checked every other year.
I wanted to specifically ask the Hawaii group, as we are more likely than the mainland owners to be in the low mileage category.

Search the forum for Model S Annual Service Checklist. There's a pdf file of the services recommended. Not much on the list. Might help in your decision. I actually commute to town from Mililani for work but will most likely just bring in for service every 18 months or so like I do with my Audi.

Nanimac, Papafox:

Solar Powered, I'm in a different boat (but perhaps ON the same boat) as you. I commute from Kailua to Kapolei on weekdays and will put lots of miles on my Tesla. Consequently, the service plan makes sense for me and I'm going for it. Nanimac's recommendation sounds like a good way to anticipate how extensive checkups might be. If I planned to put low mileage on the car I might be inclined to go without. My guess is that the Model S is going to turn out to be relatively light on maintenance needs, with one exception, and that exception is the fact that we're all test pilots, using a design that hasn't been on the road for years before. Design issues will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.