Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HD Radio Does Not Play Channel 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vdiv

Chief Grump
Jan 20, 2015
Reston, VA
So when driving in town I regularly listen to a couple of FM stations. The reception is strong enough for the radio tuner to detect that the particular station has HD channels, and the MCU displays them along the station call sign and meta data. However for some odd reason it consistently refuses to switch to HD channel 1, which is simulcasted with the analog portion. It plays channels 2 and 3 (if available) just fine, but when I switch back to channel 1, it only plays the analog one. It doesn't do this on all stations, and on the stations that it does other HD radio receivers work fine switching to digital. An example station for those who live in the DC area is 88.5 WAMU.

The side effect is that the analog reception is much more susceptible to dead spots and interference, and that once tuned the metadata does not update unless I change the channel (it does when tuned to a digital one).

I have the UHFS and XM Radio, if it makes any difference. Don't remember if the issue existed since I got the car, but it certainly has been like this through the firmware 7 updates.

Have you observed this? Any ideas?