TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Heading to South Carolina for the eclipse. Where will you watch from?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Richk, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Richk

Richk Member

My wife and I will be heading to Orangeburg SC (South Carolina) tomorrow, about 15 mins from Santee SC (Supercharger). The NWS weather report for Santee is currently showing mostly cloudy, so may move if weather satellite shows its clear nearby.

If the weather holds, the Santee Supercharger may be a great place to watch. And being fully charged when the eclipse ends seems like a good idea.

Anybody else heading there for the event?

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm in Holly Hill, SC -- 10 minutes away from Santee. Not sure where I'm going to watch yet. If it's cloudy, we'll be on the move westward where it looks clearer.

3. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

For Chicagolanders not going to St. Louis, Carbondale or elsewhere for the Total Solar Eclipse on Monday 2017 AUG 21, here is my rendering of how the maximum of the Partial Solar Eclipse should appear from Chicago's Adler Planetarium. Of course the Moon should actually appear the same color as the sky, but I've darkened it to emphasize its positioning. The next Total Solar Eclipse visible from at least a portion of the city of Chicago will occur on 2099 SEP 14. You kids who plan to see that 2099 eclipse may want to drive north of Milwaukee for a longer duration of totality.

[​IMG]

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

I'm thinking of heading towards Greenville. I'm worried about supercharger availability.

5. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Here's my rendering of how the planets and bright stars will appear during the maximum of the 2017 AUG 21 Total Solar Eclipse in Carbondale, Illinois.

[​IMG]

6. tdjvfr

tdjvfr Member

Heading to columbia unless weather is better in Greenville.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Funny. I'm headed west from Santee to Columbia if the weather is better there.. and if not, then on to Greenville (or more likely, stopping somewhere quiet along the way).

8. number12

number12 Active Member

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Right... and we only have to worry about the Tesla owners in that group.

I don't think there's going to be soul crushing traffic.

But I suspect the tiny Santee General Store might be a tad busy on Monday. It's a great stop if you need fireworks or bait. ;)

Cool graphic, though.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Funny -- all three of my potential eclipse cities are in the top 12 "drivesheds" -- Santee (#1), Columbia (#12), and Greenville (#10).

upload_2017-8-20_1-15-11.png

11. hacer

hacer Member

Me too. I'm in Charleston at the moment, but it's predicted to have 65% cloud cover, Greenville is 38%. I can skip charging at Santee and charge in Columbia. Even if I get stuck there it is less (56%) cloud cover. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

12. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Have you seen the West Coast eclipse threads? 22 car lines at the Corning supercharger, 4 hour waits, etc. And that started yesterday.

It seems the Venn diagram of Tesla owners and folks willing to travel to see an eclipse has a lot of overlap.

13. hacer

hacer Member

Yeah, but South Carolina is pretty much the worst cloud cover along the path in the East so the smart folks should be going further West.

[​IMG]

14. hacer

hacer Member

Specifically I81 and I75 (and superchargers along those roads) should get much more congestion than I95. Since Knoxville has much clearer skies predicted, and is just about the same distance for most of those 75 million people on the East coast.

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm hoping on I26 first thing tomorrow and diving as far west towards Greenville as traffic and my battery will allow.

16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I'm planning on traveling to my driveway and possibly to the cul-de-sac if I need a better view.

• Funny x 1
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

If you are coming to Greenville be aware that several of the parking decks that have EVSEs listed on Plugshare are going to be closed. I have 40 amps available in Greenville if someone gets stuck.

• Like x 2
  18. Dennisj00

Dennisj00 Member

In an airbnb deep in the woods in Cashiers, NC. Just checked visibility and it's supposed to be clear.

19. kort677

kort677 Banned

the local news station here just did a report from the SpC in Santee SC. 2 teslas charging there. One guy slept in his car, which is fine except for that he apparently blocked the spot for the night.

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just arrived at Santee, and there was just one car charging. But apparently there is an entire "Tesla Tailgate" party planned here all day. About a dozen Teslas parked around the property. It was announced and organized on the tesla forums. I don't recall seeing anything posted here.

• Like x 1