Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello,

i just recently found out that the model 3 does not have an adjustable headrest. wow that blows my mind, i don't know of any car in that price range that doesn't have an adjustable headrest. (perhaps there are though...am i wrong about this?)

my question is does anyone know if the model Y front seats will come with adjustable headrests?

i do not own a model 3 and therefore maybe the seats are fine without it, however i still can't believe that tesla would not make the seats without adjustable headrests.

thoughts?

cheers,

e

The seats will be the same as the Model 3 presumably. All I can say is that I had driven my car for some time before I realized it didn’t have adjustable headrests (and all my previous cars had... Audi, BMW). Tesla designs and manufactures their own seats. I’d encourage you to keep an open mind and allow for the possibility that thanks to good design, you won’t ever miss that feature. I definitely do not.

The seats will be the same as the Model 3 presumably. All I can say is that I had driven my car for some time before I realized it didn’t have adjustable headrests (and all my previous cars had... Audi, BMW). Tesla designs and manufactures their own seats. I’d encourage you to keep an open mind and allow for the possibility that thanks to good design, you won’t ever miss that feature. I definitely do not.

This. Consumers are very bad at knowing what they really need/want. Innovative companies, particularly the Silicon Valley type, are the ones that don't build what customers want, but instead are able to figure out their needs and deliver something that meets those better.

Consumers wanted a better flip phone and Apple brought us the iPhone. Building what customers asked for would not have led to that.

So back to cars, some customers say they need a heated steering wheel. The actual need is for the consumer to be comfortable in their car and not have cold hands. Short term solution- car interior will preheat before you get to it. Long term solution- there will be no more steering wheel you have to put your hands on so they won't get cold.

Some customers say they want an adjustable head rest. The actual need is to be comfortable and have support. The seat is designed accordingly. At least I hope, as I don't have my Tesla yet!

Heated steering wheel came with the other 10 EVs I have owned over the years. Apple didn't have many features until the Android alternative created competition. The heated steering wheel is the feature I miss the most on the Model 3, but not worth buying a Model S for that.

I am eagerly waiting the full spec sheet on the Model Y. If they have a heat pump, tow hitch and heated steering wheel, I may upgrade.

The headrests and seats from my 5-Series absolutely destroy anything Tesla makes.

It’s not because “Tesla knows best”, it’s because they cut corners to keep prices down.

people need to realize that when you are buying tesla, a lot of the cost you are paying for is the battery and technology and not for luxury features as you would find in other brands
Exactly. When people ask me about my car and how I feel about it’s “shortcomings” I explain that at its heart the Model 3 (and soon Y) is a sub $40,000 car. You can spend much much more by adding range and an additional motor etc - but the box you are buying... with four seats etc. is designed to be sold for under $40k. It’s not a better or worse way to do it - but it’s different. So it’s not really a productive comparison to match up a $60,000 (fill in the blank) and a $60,000 Model 3/Y. They are just different ways of answering the same question. And will appeal to different folks.

hello,
i do not own a model 3 and therefore maybe the seats are fine without it, however i still can't believe that tesla would not make the seats without adjustable headrests.

thoughts?

When I did a test drive of a Model 3, I didn’t feel a need to adjust the headrest. It felt fine to me and seemed to be at an adequate height for whiplash prevention purposes. This type of thing (along with seat comfort) is so subjective, however, that most (if not all) of the opinions here will be rather meaningless in terms of how much of an issue it’ll be for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
Do a test ride once the Model Y hits show rooms or rent one for the day from Turo. I don't have comfort issues in any seats for any car so am not the right person to ask.

Tesla has a minimalist design philosophy and is not a luxury car brand, just an expensive one. Some will blame their lack of features on them being cheap, but others like it. Look for a cool-aid mustache so not sure you can believe them.

Your subjective feel is all that matters because you will be stuck in those seats for years.

Reactions: lmmo
hello,

i just recently found out that the model 3 does not have an adjustable headrest. wow that blows my mind, i don't know of any car in that price range that doesn't have an adjustable headrest. (perhaps there are though...am i wrong about this?)

my question is does anyone know if the model Y front seats will come with adjustable headrests?

thoughts?

cheers,

e

I picked up my Model Y last night and it doesn't seem to have headrest adjustments. The way they are configured, they push your head forward and make the seat very uncomfortable. My wife is a chiropractor and feels this is a terrible design. Similar to the new seats on airplanes. It's sad that after spending this much on a new EV that we learn how bad their seat is ergonomically.

I agree that the 3 and Y are not luxury cars. Just because the price puts it in the realm of "luxury" doesn't make it so (and even then, 50k nowadays does not make a luxury car).

I'm going to buy the Y for the battery tech and to hopefully decrease my carbon footprint on our planet. I'll never call my MY a luxury car and it will be missing many features my latest ICE car offers at a lower price (the biggest of which is ventilated and heated seats for the 1st and 2nd row)

even with all the bad news on the fit and finish of the MY, I'm looking forward to take delivery

Nor homelink, nor autodimming mirrors, nor blind spot warnings in the mirrors, nor ventilated seats, nor a heads up display, nor fit and finish.

But hey, you can make fart noises!

But you forgot the Instant torque, higher range, more tech than most of the other EVs, built in sentry/dashcam, great styling, amazing charging network, great resale...the list can go on...!

Reactions: laservet
But you forgot the Instant torque, higher range, more tech than most of the other EVs, built in sentry/dashcam, great styling, amazing charging network, great resale...the list can go on...!

Totally worth the mismatched colored panels, dust in the paint, missing paint, gaps galore, latches that won't close, windows that scratch trim, Bluetooth that doesn't work, seats that fall apart, hooks that don't retract, dents on body panels, and range that doesn't even come close to expectations!

Reactions: Reeler
Picked up my Y yesterday. The front seat headrests are NOT adjustable which seems a bit odd.
The rear seat headrests are adjustable. It is in the owner's manual which I have read several times, while waiting for the car over the last few months, but missed this little nuance.