Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest material peeling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... Here is my headrest today : ( it's sticky and the fake pattern seems to be coming off.

Before people start accusing me of doing something wrong... I don't use any chemicals on the seats. I also don't use anything on my head or in my hair. Not even shampoo. I have no hair.

There are a significant amount of posts about this in the forums now. So far I do think it's been covered under warranty for everyone though. I will let everyone know how my service goes Wednesday

Attachments

• PXL_20220513_100355676.jpg
    PXL_20220513_100355676.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 117
Well they told me the virtual system automatically turned this down for warranty repair. It's considered normal wear and tear for a two year old car. I only have 18,000 miles. : (

I think I'm just going to buy some kind of headrest cover.

Maybe faux leather is just less durable and will eventually require replacement as a standard thing.? I might also try some of the coatings others have suggested.

PXL_20220521_135116625.jpg

Folks, let’s all save some time and energy and clarify a point that’s caused some confusion... the seat material is polyurethane, as already noted. It is in fact Ultrafabrics Ultraleather 291-0001. The manufacturer’s cleaning instructions are located here:
https://intranet.ultrafabricsinc.com/img/pages/care_and_cleaning/CleaningInstructions.pdf
IPA is in fact listed as an acceptable cleaner here:
Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics

I personally clean with Fantastik, which works well enough for my needs.

I hope this was useful.

I reached out to ultrafabrics via email and sent them some of the articles about the headrest issues. A quality assurance analyst told me that they do not supply any black fabric to Tesla for seating surfaces. It's not ultrafabrics. At least the black isn't.

I am assuming the oils in my scalp somehow combined with heat had to do with it. I have no hair so there is no barrier. Also I don't wipe the seat after driving. Maybe that's something I will need to do going forward.

So... Here is my headrest today : ( it's sticky and the fake pattern seems to be coming off.

Before people start accusing me of doing something wrong... I don't use any chemicals on the seats. I also don't use anything on my head or in my hair. Not even shampoo. I have no hair.

There are a significant amount of posts about this in the forums now. So far I do think it's been covered under warranty for everyone though. I will let everyone know how my service goes Wednesday
One thing that may be coming into play with the cracking is the oils from our skin/scalps. Also being follicularly challenged, I too use regular shampoos and body wash on my head but I tend to build up a lot of oil on my scalp.
Why do I suspect oils? I am in a profession that requires me to wear a stethoscope all day long. Over time the tubing of the scopes become rigid and begin to crack. This is due to skin oils. It is recommended that we periodically clean the tubing with an automotive cleaner/protectant for rubber that does not contain silicone to prevent this from happening (per the manufacturer). I never do, so I have to replace tubing every 4-5 years.
Since this is predominantly happening to the head rests, and most of us are fully clothed when driving ;), it wouldn't surprise me if this is the underlying problem since we are dealing with a polyurethane instead of real leather.
What I will be doing with my headrest moving forward is cleaning it with soap and water and applying a non silicone based protectant such as Vinyl X or similar product. Time will tell if it makes a difference.

I find I don’t really put my head on the headrest ever. Do you folks with this issue always rest your head on them?

Longer drives I put my head on it. Like stuck in traffic for hours in NYC.

Obviously I am not happy with the durability of the material. The Tesla person told me it was automatically classified as non-warranty by the virtual system. I don't even know who else to contact about it. Tesla doesn't really give you options. They literally just wasted my time when I told them I wasn't going to pay for it in the beginning.

I can't even get it to schedule me for a service visit at the service center. The system automatically makes it roadside and only gives me Wednesday as an option.

I am a big fan of Tesla but not so much this seat material lol.

Last edited:
Just an update. I scheduled another Tesla appointment about the headrest. Even though they denied my warranty repair last time. This time a manager authorized it replaced. Obviously I made some complaints prior.

I was also told they have seen a few of them and that it will happen again. They keep the headrests in stock which should tell you something.

Just an update. I scheduled another Tesla appointment about the headrest. Even though they denied my warranty repair last time. This time a manager authorized it replaced. Obviously I made some complaints prior.

I was also told they have seen a few of them and that it will happen again. They keep the headrests in stock which should tell you something.
You’d think they keep the headrests in stock, my LA SC told me the part was delayed in shipping and I’d have to schedule a mobile service for the replacement.

Luckily they said they’d replace mine as a one time goodwill so there’s that.