Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display (HUD) - Hansshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Hannshow HUD for several months and it has worked great until this morning. My car got the 2020.40.4 update overnight and this morning the HUD won't register current speed and thinks the car is in park regardless of the gear it is actually in. It does register turn signals, battery charge, headlights, door open, etc... Weird that it would lose its functionality after a software update.

As I've said with many of the accessory hacks (and especially the performance boost upgrades), they will eventually break as unlike every other car out there, Tesla constantly changes the communications slightly with each update.
It's incredibly important that any of these products can quickly and easily be updated, but also that they have to know exactly what changed in order to do so.

40.4 turned all my displays black because Tesla stoped transmitting a UI message that that has been there since day one. I quickly whipped up scripts to use an alternative. Anyone purchasing any product that communicates with any tesla has to be made aware that they may break with any update.

I've had the Hannshow HUD for several months and it has worked great until this morning. My car got the 2020.40.4 update overnight and this morning the HUD won't register current speed and thinks the car is in park regardless of the gear it is actually in. It does register turn signals, battery charge, headlights, door open, etc... Weird that it would lose its functionality after a software update.

Any other particular items you notice are broken? I am trying to track down changes and search for them in the matrix

Any other particular items you notice are broken? I am trying to track down changes and search for them in the matrix

I haven’t driven the last two days but will check this afternoon.

I got a pretty quick response from Hannshow via WhatsApp.
3E5ED91A-DD6E-4643-B0A2-2558D1074C9C.jpeg

I guess they’re going to send me new hardware? I will believe it when I see it.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
I got mine. Boy, the instructions are even worse than I would have expected. Installation is easy, but there is a setup menu that just has 3-4 sets of numbered (1-8) menu items, and the instructions offer no guidance at all for what they mean. Going to the web site to see if I can find more info on that setup, and there isn't anything there. I haven't driven with it yet, but the display currently shows km/hr, and I don't know if I can change that.

Hardware seems decent, but they need some help from a usability person.

Reactions: c615586
Oh wow, they are plugging straight into the ICE computer and getting all three can busses. I really would like to make the same tap connector there if people are brave enough to dig into their dash. But very clean install running wires through the dash like that

Do you think that direct connection to the computer could be affected by any change Tesla could do to CAN bus or whatever and remain compatible with a totally different V11?

I haven’t driven the last two days but will check this afternoon.

I guess they’re going to send me new hardware? I will believe it when I see it.

New hardware! That seems unnecessary. Maybe they didn't come up with a good way to reflash it. Not that mine is much better, but I always expect data changes so made sure that can be changed without board updates.

@JWardell Did you used to be active in the MINI community back in the oughts?

That's me!

Any progress on this?

No, I didn't mean to infer there would be any...just something I might like to pursue in the future if I had enough demand.

Do you think that direct connection to the computer could be affected by any change Tesla could do to CAN bus or whatever and remain compatible with a totally different V11?

No, the connection would only be affected by harness changes, which could possibly happen with the recent interior updates. They already changed the console connectors once.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Promoter
i1Tesla demos another display, this time with round gauges...
And that reminds me, what happened with everyone with Hansshow and other displays that were broken back with 2020.40 software update? Did you get replacements? Are they software updatable?

And that reminds me, what happened with everyone with Hansshow and other displays that were broken back with 2020.40 software update? Did you get replacements? Are they software updatable?

This 'mickey mouse' display does have usb ports so presumably can be updated. Would be a shame if the next major update bricked a $500 device. Whether the manufacturer decides to spend the resources updating this display is a mystery. Beside being aesthetically unpleasing to the eye and blocking the vent, I would not buy something at this cost unless the manufacturer gave some assurance they will have a certain window of support.

I had the issue with the HUD and then spoke with them at length. I finally agreed to pay a small "upgrade" amount to get the new v2 display that is currently being finalized that supports CarPlay, Android Auto, and is OTA upgradeable. Here's the link to the demo:

Should have mine by 2nd to 3rd week of January.

@webbah, that new Hansshow unit looks like a much better execution. It's too bad you had to speak to them "at length" to get them to do something but at least it's sorted out. Hopefully you didn't pay more than the retail to retail price difference.

At $699 pre-sale price that's a significant amount of money for this unit and it would seem inconvenient and potentially dangerous to reach for the touch screen behind the steering wheel. I wonder if they will be responsible enough to lock the ability to stream video when the car is in motion otherwise another huge opportunity for misuse leading to accidents.