Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display (HUD) - Hansshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about what people think about the $70 Tesla Model 3 HUD on Aliexpress. I ordered one already, may not get updates like the Hansshow tho... But so cheap! Looks like it is easier to install and has many more indicators.

Bjørn Nyland's review

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.12.46 AM.png

EANOP HUD Head-up display Projector for Tesla Model 3 - AliExpress

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JWardell
  • Funny
Might be worth it for the teardown. I think the other HUDs are prettier though.

I had already ordered the Hansshow HUD prior to me seeing your modular unit you've been putting together. It arrives this Wednesday. If I hadn't already ordered it I'd have most likely gone with yours as I'm a geek and yours is right up my alley. That said, perhaps you can answer one question. All the install vids and docs for the Hannshow show them routing the cable up the A pillar and then across the left side of the dash inside the channel along the windshield. I'm hoping to do a cleaner install even if it takes me more time. I've got all the pry tools I'd need, but do you know if it is possible to remove the actual top dash cover to route the wire underneath and have it come out just behind where the HUD would sit on the top of the dash? In other words, the cable would be completely hidden and only exposed from the windshield/speaker grill area to the back of the HUD. I know the speaker grill is fairly easy to remove. I'll have a go at this myself but thought you may have some ideas as you've been tinkering with this for awhile yourself.

Cheers man!

I had already ordered the Hansshow HUD prior to me seeing your modular unit you've been putting together. It arrives this Wednesday.
If I hadn't already ordered it I'd have most likely gone with yours as I'm a geek and yours is right up my alley.
That said, perhaps you can answer one question.
All the install vids and docs for the Hannshow show them routing the cable up the A pillar
and then across the left side of the dash inside the channel along the windshield.
I'm hoping to do a cleaner install even if it takes me more time.
I've got all the pry tools I'd need, but do you know if it is possible to remove the actual top dash cover
to route the wire underneath and have it come out just behind where the HUD would sit on the top of the dash?
In other words, the cable would be completely hidden and only exposed from the windshield/speaker grill area to the back of the HUD.
I know the speaker grill is fairly easy to remove.
I'll have a go at this myself but thought you may have some ideas as you've been tinkering with this for awhile yourself.
Cheers man!
Did you figure out how to connect the Hansshow HUD device?

The video ends up when showing the Tesla plugs.
Does they provide special connectors?

One issue is Tesla sometime change the wiring, making difficult to install accessories
(like radars detectors or dashcams) that you may want to turn off, or keep on, when the car is locked.​

Note: About hiding the wires, I installed a hotspot for my dashcam in the center of the dashboard and I hide everything
using a Carpet Dash mat that I put to protect sun reflections. Also I like to be able to remove quickly any accessories
and any cables, before giving my car for service, at least as long as my car is under warranty.

Carpet-Dash-mat-For-Tesla-Model 3.jpeg

Reactions: TonyJag
Did you figure out how to connect the Hansshow HUD device?

The video ends up when showing the Tesla plugs.
Does they provide special connectors?

One issue is Tesla sometime change the wiring, making difficult to install accessories
(like radars detectors or dashcams) that you may want to turn off, or keep on, when the car is locked.​

Note: About hiding the wires, I installed a hotspot for my dashcam in the center of the dashboard and I hide everything
using a Carpet Dash mat that I put to protect sun reflections. Also I like to be able to remove quickly any accessories
and any cables, before giving my car for service, at least as long as my car is under warranty.

View attachment 591231

There is a PDF manual they send with photos available. It's not too difficult and they have 2 different wiring versions depending on the year of your Model 3. Mine is wired up to the diagnostic port in the rear of the center console below the USB ports. This was the same location I had the OBDII adaptor previously. Then the wire is hidden and run up through the driver side of the center console behind the bottom trim and then under the dash trim near the brake and go pedals, through the door/A pillar trim and then to the Dash. Not too difficult if you have the correct pry tools. They send one pry tool with the kit, but I have a professional set of pry tools already which worked better.

I also have a Wifi/LTE hotspot specially made for Automotive applications. It is the Teltonika RUT850 and I installed in in the center console, hidden inside the front bottom. I remove the side trim on the passenger side like when replacing the air filters and you will see a nice open space. I used heavy duty velcro to ensure it sits firmly but can be removed easily. I then ran the 2 GSM booster antennas to the A pillars both for driver and passenger and hid them inside there (right and left side of windshield). Excellent signal quality, totally hidden and no need for any dash covers, etc. And only uses 5 watts. I did install a kill switch in case I quickly want to completely disable it for any reason.

• Informative
Reactions: TonyJag
Now that I will buy !!!

The geek in me is tempted. But I'm kind of pissed as I literally just installed the Hannshow HUD and wasn't aware of this one as it's not in the main menu yet. Might try and work out a return/credit for the HUD and go for this.

I DO have one mild concern though. This sits directly behind the steering wheel so depending on how you have your wheel setup it will not be in the direct line of sight. And it is pricey. But that does look OEM and pretty sexy with those gauges.

I am curious about what people think about the $70 Tesla Model 3 HUD on Aliexpress. I ordered one already, may not get updates like the Hansshow tho... But so cheap! Looks like it is easier to install and has many more indicators.

Bjørn Nyland's review

View attachment 587733
EANOP HUD Head-up display Projector for Tesla Model 3 - AliExpress
My Eanop HUD arrived. It's not the 05 that I ordered it's the E100Plus, but it's got the reflective screen that I wanted, so this seems right... Until I try to install it. I powered off the car and removed the rear console cap and unplugged the junction cable there. But there is no way these two cables are the same. I bet they sent me the 2019-2020 version...

This is interesting. Not easy to find from their main website menu as it's not listed yet in the drop down menus for products, but check this out:

Model 3, Y steering wheel center Console Screen | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

Oh wow, they are plugging straight into the ICE computer and getting all three can busses. I really would like to make the same tap connector there if people are brave enough to dig into their dash. But very clean install running wires through the dash like that

Reactions: Watts_Up
I've had the Hannshow HUD for several months and it has worked great until this morning. My car got the 2020.40.4 update overnight and this morning the HUD won't register current speed and thinks the car is in park regardless of the gear it is actually in. It does register turn signals, battery charge, headlights, door open, etc... Weird that it would lose its functionality after a software update.

Oh wow, they are plugging straight into the ICE computer and getting all three can busses. I really would like to make the same tap connector there if people are brave enough to dig into their dash. But very clean install running wires through the dash like that

I saw this on their website this morning when I was trying to contact them regarding my HUD. This looks pretty sweet, but pricey.

My Eanop HUD arrived. I bet they sent me the 2019-2020 version...
I did get a refund from AliExpress and they paid for return shipping on the Eanop HUD I got from them.

Settling into using the CANServer instead, just one microdisplay, but it is Awfully Nice to be able to see numbers that are NOT on the main display. Got bit by the update as well, fortunately, there was quickly an update on GitHub showing how to fix it.

As to encryption rumors, I understand Tesla's fear that someone will WRITE to the CanBus, but they shouldn't encrypt it unless they leave us a way to still view it w/o that fear. Especially with rumors of drive-by-wire being implemented in the CyberTruck, I cannot imagine the bus NOT being encrypted, or at least write-locked.

Last edited: