Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display (HUD) - Hansshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@webbah, that new Hansshow unit looks like a much better execution. It's too bad you had to speak to them "at length" to get them to do something but at least it's sorted out. Hopefully you didn't pay more than the retail to retail price difference.

At $699 pre-sale price that's a significant amount of money for this unit and it would seem inconvenient and potentially dangerous to reach for the touch screen behind the steering wheel. I wonder if they will be responsible enough to lock the ability to stream video when the car is in motion otherwise another huge opportunity for misuse leading to accidents.

I hope so. I've missed CarPlay a lot so this sold me on it. And the fact that it is now fully OTA upgradeable gives me confidence that no matter what future updates Tesla does if it breaks something with after market display functionality they can resolve it fairly quickly without a hardware replacement. In the end I ended up paying just shy of the presale price all in. They did send me some additional details about app functionality, etc, but I promised not to disclose until they can do so via a follow up YouTube video which should come out soon. I'm pretty excited for the unit though. They sent me a V1 unit after the HUD issue and this V2 unit will be the final production ready display (I hope).

I had the issue with the HUD and then spoke with them at length. I finally agreed to pay a small "upgrade" amount to get the new v2 display that is currently being finalized that supports CarPlay, Android Auto, and is OTA upgradeable. Here's the link to the demo:

Should have mine by 2nd to 3rd week of January.

Carplay! That's very nice. But it's now a full blown Android tablet. Why not just mount your own tablet to your dash?

Reactions: israndy
@webbah, that new Hansshow unit looks like a much better execution. It's too bad you had to speak to them "at length" to get them to do something but at least it's sorted out. Hopefully you didn't pay more than the retail to retail price difference.

At $699 pre-sale price that's a significant amount of money for this unit and it would seem inconvenient and potentially dangerous to reach for the touch screen behind the steering wheel. I wonder if they will be responsible enough to lock the ability to stream video when the car is in motion otherwise another huge opportunity for misuse leading to accidents.

Thats a terrible idea. For that price I would want to do whatever I want with it. Ive done a few of these aftermarket android systems in previous cars and you have the ability to stream video while moving.

Thats a terrible idea. For that price I would want to do whatever I want with it. Ive done a few of these aftermarket android systems in previous cars and you have the ability to stream video while moving.
Having streaming video while moving is definitely a novelty and could be entertaining for passengers as long as the driver is focused on driving rather than watching YouTube videos. Since this screen is mounted in a place really only useful for the driver it's one of those things some buyers might want for themselves but likely don't want people driving around them with the same feature. If Hansshow decides to let people stream video while driving, they may not be in business after the first accident but that's up to them.

Having streaming video while moving is definitely a novelty and could be entertaining for passengers as long as the driver is focused on driving rather than watching YouTube videos. Since this screen is mounted in a place really only useful for the driver it's one of those things some buyers might want for themselves but likely don't want people driving around them with the same feature. If Hansshow decides to let people stream video while driving, they may not be in business after the first accident but that's up to them.

They are based out of China, nobody will be coming after them. Its an Android tablet, you can do anything you want with it, including streaming video. These chinese made aftermarket systems pretty much all allow it. The few I bought did, no bypass needed. Back in the day pioneer, sony, kenwood systems would not allow dvd in motion but those were easily defeated. (I did car audio back in the day).

You know what else allows videos while driving? Cell phones!!!! Distracted driving with cell phones is magnitudes more dangerous than the very small number of people using a system like this. You are making mountains out of molehills.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.04.54 PM.png

Was watching the Hansshow youtube video again and noticed that there's a Porsche logo on the bottom left corner of the screen.

I recently installed a Joyeauto PCU board and computer that runs Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in my Porsche 991.1 and a similar logo shows up on the screen when in CarPlay mode. Pushing it turns off CarPlay and bounces the unit back to native PCM mode.
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.46.35 PM.png

I am very confused as to why the logo shows up on a device built for Tesla.

Last edited:
Received the new board and a handy pry tool from Hannshow today. Will try to install it in the next day or so.View attachment 621964

Interesting. Does the connector on the bottom right go to the wire harness? Looks like a mini USB connector but also looks to have CAN transceiver. Also interesting is unpopulated JDY-08 bluetooth transceiver. Perhaps for future versions to pair with phone, or wireless accessories.

IMG_3491.jpg

Did the install this evening and drove around the block to test. I am not familiar with this stuff but the new board (on the right) is obviously much more complex. They added a micro usb port at the lower right corner. Not sure why since this port isn't easily accessed with the board in the HUD, but maybe it is for future software updates. The HUD is powered through the mini usb port at the upper right side of the board.

IMG_3494.jpg

Everything is working as it should with the exception of the time display--It's 4 hours off from the car's time display. I sent a message to Hannshow to ask about that.

Overall, very happy with the HUD again and really pleased with Hannshow's customer service. It took a couple of months but they made everything right. This bodes well for the buyers of the new, bigger displays I think.

• Informative
Reactions: CT3PO and JWardell