Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads-Up-Display (HUD): More proof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Choosing between an HUD or fully autonomous AP as the two best explanations for lack of dashboard displays, I think it's much more likely to be an HUD. I doubt that Tesla is going to equip all Model 3s with AP as a standard feature (they've only said the safety features will be standard), so not every Model 3 will have AP. So if HUD isn't the reason, what will cars without AP do?

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx
I think this is happening but probably not in the usual way people think. Tesla will do something very futuristic along with Autopilot.

The Model 3 will look "normal" from the outside but the interior is Tesla's chance to really shine and outdo the competition. When Elon made the comments "I think we will do something radical" in regards to Model 3 last year, we all took it to mean the exterior but now it appears he was talking about the interior and controls. Sneaky guy.

I really like the idea of a nice HUD... But what does everyone feel like they want in the HUD? Having just returned home from a 1,000 drive (vacation), in a car with no cruise control... I can't think of too much I want in the HUD.

Current speed and posted speed.
Range and distance to nearest SuperCharger (and an arrow to indicate direction to drive to get there).
Nav and lane placement of my car and those around me.

I doubt that Tesla is going to equip all Model 3s with AP as a standard feature (they've only said the safety features will be standard), so not every Model 3 will have AP. So if HUD isn't the reason, what will cars without AP do?

It is my thought that EM wants all Teslas to have autopilot (it is part of the master plan). It may be that, at the moment, they need to monetize that decision, but eventually AP will be free (not only for upcoming cars but retro'ed into as many old ones as possible). That means that no model should have any (known) impediments to that conversion. Putting a Autopilot capable HUD into all models Ξ is in keeping with that (as is including all autopilot hardware).

I know I love saying 'yeah, I planned for that' when adding a new feature to my house. I suspect that the charge Elon Musk will get out of it for a million cars will be even greater.

Thank you kindly.

I can't think of too much I want in the HUD..

While I agree that minimal information is probably best most of the time, there is a lot of transient information which would be awesome. For example, when you put on the blinker, having a blindspot monitor pop up would be huge. Basically anything which might, in a lesser car, cause you to take you eyes off the road could be displayed momentarily in the HUD. Hopefully they all have their copies of Tufte on their desks. How about having the speedometer color-coded by how far your speed is from posted?

Thank you kindly.

If I could have speed, real-time tracking indicators for traffic around/behind me in blind spots, GPS/driving directions (with an overlay of the directional arrows put onto the real lanes) and maybe some simple media controls (like current song playing, or access to phone functions) that would be rad.

Reactions: kavyboy
HUDs blow on cars. They just take distracted driving to a whole new planet. "Wow, now I can look straight ahead and not see *sugar* before I ram it!" I have 4 cars with it, and everyone is turned off.

But then again, I'm a dork who doesn't need a cellphone to drive either. A relic of the past; someone who believes not hitting *sugar* is the the most technologically advanced method of automotive safety, not the crumple zone.

Here is one possible approach Tesla could take with the 3:

The base version for $35K will only have the 15" center display and no AP software (but it will have all the necessary sensor hardware) or other driver side displays. We know from the reveal that center display shows the speed and other basic info in the upper right corner. That will be fine for driving the car in the usual "human controlled" manner. I do not believe that a HUD will be included at the base price, which is amazingly low for a long range (200+ miles) EV that is a mid-size sedan, and a stunningly gorgeous one at that.

If the AP option is purchased it will include a HUD that projects what the AP sees as well as basic info like speed, alerts, and warnings.

In other threads people have posted that there are HUD units that work with polarized sunglasses.

I think it is very likely that the 3 will go into production in late 2017 with all the hardware necessary for fully autonomous driving but the software will not be ready. That will take another year or two.

Just before the 3 goes into production, the S and X will be redesigned to include all the hardware needed for fully autonomous driving. The driver side display will be gone and a HUD will be standard. AP software will still be an option.

At that point all Teslas will be built with full AP hardware. By 2019 or so, fully autonomous AP software will be available as an option.

Reactions: HillCountryFun
If Tesla does incorporate a HUD, please let it be visible while wearing polarized sunglasses.
+1 I frequently need to raise my sunglasses to read displays now.

This is the main reason why I don't think HUDs would be standard.
It is a nice gadget as an option to increase the profit margin, but it is not a good way to display important information because of the reason above. There are HUDs which work with polarized sunglasses like DLP, but it would be too expensive.

If Tesla wanted a secondary display in addition to the big screen, they would have retained the instrument panel.
HUDs is NOT a good substitute for a secondary display.
If Tesla decides the center screen is good enough, instrument panel is not necessary, and HUD is not necessary as well.

When you have to keep the cost at $35,000 and you have to make 400,000 cars in a short time, I would cut out all the unnecessary stuff which by itself won't sell the car.

I bet we won't see a HUD in base model.

HUDs blow on cars. They just take distracted driving to a whole new planet. "Wow, now I can look straight ahead and not see *sugar* before I ram it!" I have 4 cars with it, and everyone is turned off.
If the HUDs you have in your cars (which manufacturers and models?) are lousy that is the fault of the UI design.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps Tesla could design a better UI that would make a HUD a useful driving aid and make driving safer? Or do you believe that your sensory and cognitive processing abilities while driving are superior to any hardware/software combination that could possibly be created? I ask that in all seriousness.

If Tesla does incorporate a HUD, please let it be visible while wearing polarized sunglasses.

As a retired airline pilot I can tell you polarized sunglasses don't work in cockpits. You can't see the screens and depending on the aircraft and how the cockpit windows are heated you literally can't see out the window. All you see is hashed lines. The bottom line for the majority of pilots, especially in glass cockpits is regular not polarized sunglasses:

Vision in Aviation

I really like the idea of a nice HUD... But what does everyone feel like they want in the HUD? Having just returned home from a 1,000 drive (vacation), in a car with no cruise control... I can't think of too much I want in the HUD.

Current speed and posted speed.
Range and distance to nearest SuperCharger (and an arrow to indicate direction to drive to get there).
Nav and lane placement of my car and those around me.

Obviously, speed display and turn by turn directions would be great. Any warnings would also be good to have, battery temperature, battery capacity, Tire Pressure sensor, etc.

If you combine some of the decision making parameters for AP, you could have the following:
- Lane position overlay - for low visibility conditions where it is difficult to see the lane lines.
- Augmented Reality overlay for potentially dangerous objects - Pedestrians, deer, rapidly slowing vehicles in front of you, etc.

• Disagree
I imagine most of the tech will be in the Model S long before 3. But as mentioned earlier I don't think any will be included at the base price for 3, perhaps S. It will be a nice option on 3. Is my delivery still 100 months away? I'm not sure I can keep coming here getting teased with all this information for that long.