Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on the Interwebs

Does anyone have any experience installing a Heads Up Display in their model Y? How does it look, got any pics to share? How's the installation process? Does it take up a USB slot?

Any HUDs you would recommend? Or are they all a waste of money?

Found this on the Interwebs

Does anyone have any experience installing a Heads Up Display in their model Y? How does it look, got any pics to share? How's the installation process? Does it take up a USB slot?

Any HUDs you would recommend? Or are they all a waste of money?
3rd party HUD’s are, in my opinion, a total waste.

They aren’t integrated in looks or function. So what’s really the point?

It will be great to have an integrated HUD. On my BMW, the HUD display the speed limit, current speed, cruise control speed, Navigation instructions, phone call, radio station, streaming songs, alerts, etc, What is displayed depends on what I do on the steering control bottoms, NAV status and phone call.
Fully agreed, my last BMW (2018 X3) had a great HUD. Very good navigation support.

Reactions: CleverUsername

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 523
Does that one work well in GPS mode? Where do you get the power from in this mode? Any pics you can share of your installation and what it looks like displaying, please?
Indeed it will only work in GPS mode. Power comes from a USB(A) socket, I routed it to the middle console 12V outlet. Will take some pictures and post.

Note that one downside is that it lags behind the car's speed display quite a bit when accelerating or braking. It is very usable at other times. I've ordered the Hansshow display unit and will see if I like it.

The power cable is routed through the dash, coming out to the right of the main screen, then under some trim to the middle console.

Note that I did not put the reflective sticker on the windshield as it looks pretty bad from both inside and outside. Projection on the windshield is a bit fuzzy but not too bad (I do have window tinting on the windshield). Light conditions are pretty bad in the image, relatively low sun shining on the windshield.

hud_1.jpg
hud2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HeyEph
Actually this one looks like it reads data from the vehicle and is directly plugged in to the OBD wiring (according to the review video). Looks pretty nice.

I'm using a very simple and inexpensive GPS-based one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ9LTGX

$249 is a bit steep though.

becausetesla coupon code drops it down to $212
glad to see it will track 'water temperature' ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: coolmanfever
There's a couple different ways to run USB for power, I show some examples in the install video:

This is fantastic stuff! Thanks! I found the can server install video here: CANserver
Can you please share more on the Blind Spot LEDs? How do they work?
Also, can you share more on how you routed the USB cable to the left and under the dash? What about that USB port in the A-pillar you mention?

This is fantastic stuff! Thanks! I found the can server install video here: CANserver
Can you please share more on the Blind Spot LEDs? How do they work?
Also, can you share more on how you routed the USB cable to the left and under the dash? What about that USB port in the A-pillar you mention?

Each display has two LED outputs, you can program them to do whatever you want.
*OR* they can just display left or right arrows on the screen, so for blind spot you don't need LEDs.
The LED outputs go to the left and right IO boards. I can solder bright amber LEDs to those boards OR you can run long wires from the boards to hide the LEDs wherever you want if you want to be creative.

The blind spot signal itself only indicates when a car is red on the center display. This is tesla's signal. There is still nothing to indicate that there is a car in the blind spot, until you turn on your signal. But at least it is much more noticeable than the warning on the center screen.

• Informative
Reactions: HeyEph