Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat issues while driving only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So its been getting cold and reaching 40 degrees when I'm leaving home in the morning. I preheat/condition the car and set it to 78-80 degrees in the morning. When I get in the car it feels nice and toasty but when I start driving with the same heat setting it doesn't blow hot air. Is there something faulty?

'22 M3P with 5k miles

So its been getting cold and reaching 40 degrees when I'm leaving home in the morning. I preheat/condition the car and set it to 78-80 degrees in the morning. When I get in the car it feels nice and toasty but when I start driving with the same heat setting it doesn't blow hot air. Is there something faulty?
Most definitely.
From prior winters' experience, my TM3P keeps the interior temps constant after pre-conditioning.
I usually aim for 74F, so not sure if that makes a difference.

HTH,
a

I noticed this the other day in my car. Set up the temperature to 80 then I felt cold air. So decided to bump it to HI and started to get warm again. Not sure if its faulty cause Tesla did replace something a while back during my service center visit.

I have the same problem, warm in the garage when I enter the car but then still cold air for a long time, it gets fixed after 5-10 minutes (guessing) so I use HI that time (not sure if it helps). It may be some firmware update as it was not doing it last few weeks.

'22 M3P with 5k miles
I had a similar problem. I opened a service request via the app and Tesla replaced a faulty thermostat.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I noticed this the other day in my car. Set up the temperature to 80 then I felt cold air. So decided to bump it to HI and started to get warm again. Not sure if its faulty cause Tesla did replace something a while back during my service center visit.
I have the same problem and it started a few updates ago. Have mobile visit Monday and hope they can fix. On the center screen icon of hvac control screen it says climate keeper not available - which I think happened same time.

Ah, found this thread. Same issues for me

Temperature was like 42 degrees outside. Had the preheat on this morning set at 75. Went in an it was toasty. Lowered it and drove off. Fan is set to 8. it came out cool, cranked it back to 75 was still cool. Cranked it to 81 still felt cool. I did max heat and it came out warm, but too warm for me after a bit.
Is there a good configuration I need to use to make it work better? Thanks.

I think maybe I should open up a service ticket.

Slightly off topic but 78°-80°? Do you drive naked?

I'm dressed for the cold weather. 68° is quite enough for me. Use the seat and wheel heaters.
Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Also I can’t imagine how much of a range hit running that warm is, I’d say 40-50%?
I’m in Alaska keep the heat set to 62F for the most part.

In relation to the OP had my 2018 model for over 4 years and 4 full Alaskan winters (and a model s for 4 years before that). I feel like The teslas never feel warm and toasty as compared to an ICE, due to resistance heat vs the massive radiant heat source in an ICE. Now if they could figure out a safe way to do propane heat…

Please let us know what they did to correct it, if they were able to do so.
When I got that message, mobile service replaced the temperature sensor. That lasted a couple of weeks. Then I brought my car into the service center and they replaced the ecu that the temperature sensor plugs into. That fixed it. The message you see means the system is not getting an Interior temperature.

I have issue with the system since new from December last year here in Australia. Tesla has looked at it, tested and said everything tests 'within the designed range' or words to that effect. I have never had to adjust a vehicle climate system as much as I do in the M3. I CONTASTLY get cold feet and often think that although system is set to a certain temp, it very much depends on external temp and it seems to make it's own mind up based on what the outside temp is. My system blows cold air at foot well for some time even when on hot. I've just put it down to Tesla being Tesla

This is a known issue and I had hoped it was fixed over the summer but clearly not yet.

Here's another thread on the issue from last year with what seems to be happening:

TLDR:
When you precondition in your warm garage, the car seems to add weight to the temperature in the garage and is very slow to react when you leave the garage. You may notice your thermometer on the display is very slow to change.

To those that think this isn't a big deal, pretty much every day if I precondition and it's like -30 out, the car will fog up the windows because it does not react to the fact that my garage is -5°C and outside is -30°C. If I do not precondition, it seems fine but then I am getting into a cold car with no regen.

Bug reports and service calls might address this. I had really hoped one of the updates this year would have addressed it though and it sucks that it sounds like I have to fight for heat again this winter.

Reactions: rpiotro
I have just returned from a 2.5 hours ride with 10'C outside and there is definitely some firmware regression. In non-AUTO mode 27.5'C is still very cold and HI is too hot. In AUTO mode the heating works fine (like non-AUTO before), using usually 23'C. Unfortunately I cannot use AUTO mode as I cannot set the fan speed in AUTO mode so I start suffocating after some time as I need some flow of air in the cabin. Yes, I did turn off recirculation in the AUTO mode.

@ay221tried it in automode tonight, think it was better but mid way felt a little cold air but still toasty in the car. My setting was 80. I went from 5 to 3 fan when the ride was over.
When the cabin reaches the set temp it should continue to waft warm air to your feet yet slightly cooler air to your face to keep you awake. This is how most good auto climates work. I imagine it must be difficult to stay awake at 80°F.

Reactions: eesmjus
Okay so glad I found this thread because I’ve been having this “issue” for the last two weeks as well! I would set my climate to 74/75 and it would be really warm air coming out, now even when it’s set to 80/81 I feel cool air coming out. Not sure if a software update caused this to happen or it’s some faulty hardware. 22M3P.