Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated forward facing camera housing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to enable the front facing camera heater? Mine doesn't seem to work?
20190212_203404.jpg
20190212_203416.jpg
20190212_202521.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yeah, I see the heating elements on my front camera bay, but mine doesn't run automatically, either.

I think it only runs when you enable the defroster or preheater, and that the O.P. had some greenhouse effect cause the melting over their camera bay.

It’s not clear to me if this front housing is always heated. I live in Florida and with the car parked in ambient temp of 70ish degrees the front camera heating elements are definitely on. So does it ignore the ambient temp? Seems like a way they could cut down on battery drain. I’ve emailed Tesla for some clarification.

It’s not clear to me if this front housing is always heated. I live in Florida and with the car parked in ambient temp of 70ish degrees the front camera heating elements are definitely on. So does it ignore the ambient temp? Seems like a way they could cut down on battery drain. I’ve emailed Tesla for some clarification.
How do you know the camera heating element is on if it’s 70 degrees out?

I put my hand on the area by the front camera heated elements and it’s hot to the touch if I’ve opened the doors. If I let the car sit for a while and don’t open any doors it’s cool to the touch.
Maybe it does that regardless of climate. Fail safe. Do the outside of your windows fog up on a cool damp morning? I have seen people set the AC so darn cold it causes the outside of the windows to collect condensation. Easy to do with the high dew points in FL.

And having spent time in FL here is a pro tip for homeowners and commercial businesses. Setting the AC to 68°F does not make the room more comfortable. It is just cold and clammy. 74° will lower the RH and will be more comfortable.

Maybe it does that regardless of climate. Fail safe. Do the outside of your windows fog up on a cool damp morning? I have seen people set the AC so darn cold it causes the outside of the windows to collect condensation. Easy to do with the high dew points in FL.

And having spent time in FL here is a pro tip for homeowners and commercial businesses. Setting the AC to 68°F does not make the room more comfortable. It is just cold and clammy. 74° will lower the RH and will be more comfortable.
I was thinking that as well. I’ve got a service appointment scheduled for next week just to have them diagnose and make sure it’s all working correctly. I did speak to support over the chat and they said that the camera heater was set to off but showed ON. I’ll post what I find on or after March 3rd.

Reactions: rpiotro
So update on the malfunctioning camera heater. I brought the car to Tesla Fort Lauderdale service, they agree that the camera defroster should not be activating in warmer ambient temperatures. However, they are so backed up with other customers vehicles they have no earthly idea how long it will take them to get my car diagnosed and serviced. They have my car parked on the lot as I write this. Love the car but the speed of the service is completely unacceptable. After walking around their facility for a little bit and seeing how many cars are just idle awaiting service, they need to be building at least 2-3 more service centers. As for the quality of the car, a brand new $60k car should not be leaving the factory with these issues at all.

So update on the malfunctioning camera heater. I brought the car to Tesla Fort Lauderdale service, they agree that the camera defroster should not be activating in warmer ambient temperatures. However, they are so backed up with other customers vehicles they have no earthly idea how long it will take them to get my car diagnosed and serviced. They have my car parked on the lot as I write this. Love the car but the speed of the service is completely unacceptable. After walking around their facility for a little bit and seeing how many cars are just idle awaiting service, they need to be building at least 2-3 more service centers. As for the quality of the car, a brand new $60k car should not be leaving the factory with these issues at all.
Order wait would be about 2 years if you wanted every system tested under every conceivable condition. And cost would be double. Cars costing way more from other manufacturers have same problems.

Reactions: rpiotro
My bet is, it is doing what it is supposed to do. I suspect that whenever conditions are right for the window to fog or ice over, it activates the heater to prevent buildup inside the camera housing. It's not that easy for the average Joe to get in there and clean the glass in the housing. I clean mine once a year because it gets a thick film inside there and makes the front cameras really blurry:

Maybe without the heater, it'd be even worse?

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Mike1080i
Ok so it is functioning correctly. It turns on heat at startup, and then shuts off. Techs comments were to the effect of the thermal management system is functioning normally. Seems like an area they could program smarter software to improve efficiency. It just seems silly to have the heat start when you’re in 80 degrees and direct sunlight. Maybe an update someday?