Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated seat elements showing through on white seats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed these faint lines on my white drivers seat recently but just put it down to some colour transfer but on closer inspection it looks to be the heated seat elements showing through. The marks don’t go away with cleaning and I don’t want to try anything too abrasive until Tesla have had a look (I have a service appointment in a week).
I found a video on YouTube from Bjorn Nyland which confirms the pattern is the seat heater. Has anyone else experienced this?
4B6F65CA-2D67-4975-B598-352048D4BF88.jpeg
F924914A-68D6-40F5-9039-C6712E544C7A.jpeg
84F596C8-C11F-45DB-9A81-BBB605741D41.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Weird, what kind of jacket / coat are you wearing when using those heaters? Do you have the seats treated or protected?

I wouldn't put it down to the "elements showing through" I'd put it down more to that they got hot enough to dye transfer off of what you were wearing. Still shouldn't happen either way and hopefully Tesla doesn't make a stink about taking care of it.

Thanks for the reply,

I honestly can’t remember what jacket coat I was wearing or my wife as I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened, just noticed it one day and seems to be getting gradually worse. I’ve treated the seats with Gyeon Leathershield prior to the marks appearing. If it is marks on the material then I’ll just have to clean it off with something a bit more aggressive. But I want Tesla to take a look first as the passenger seat is totally fine.

I’m starting to agree that it’s colour transfer, it just strikes me as strange that it is so defined and follows the heating elements, I thought it would be more blurred but I guess the heat exaggerated the colour transfer. Im seeing Tesla on Monday for some other issues so will see what they recommend to clean it.
Thanks all for your input :)

I’m wondering if it’s from the residual from the Gyeon Leathershield left on the seat material getting heated. Think Tesla only recommends water damp cloth. I have black seats and only use damp cloth so may never notice something like that.

The seat material is not a leather so some leather products could damage it. Recall some thread about that on here somewhere.

Reactions: EVEnergy
Probably is just color transfer. That the transfer is in the impression of the heating element just means the hearing element stands out when pressure is applied. Rather than, say, leaving the impression of 2 buttcheeks :)

As for leather care products, most "real" products are primarily natural oils as their main function is conditioning/nourishment, so it should not harm vinyls and plastics

I noticed these faint lines on my white drivers seat recently but just put it down to some colour transfer but on closer inspection it looks to be the heated seat elements showing through. The marks don’t go away with cleaning and I don’t want to try anything too abrasive until Tesla have had a look (I have a service appointment in a week).
I found a video on YouTube from Bjorn Nyland which confirms the pattern is the seat heater. Has anyone else experienced this?
View attachment 497059 View attachment 497060 View attachment 497061

mine too!
upload_2020-12-26_15-31-8.png

View attachment 497059 View attachment 497060 View attachment 497061
Just noticed the same thing on mine, did you ever figure out the cause or how to get rid of them?

I’m wondering if it’s from the residual from the Gyeon Leathershield left on the seat material getting heated. Think Tesla only recommends water damp cloth. I have black seats and only use damp cloth so may never notice something like that.

The seat material is not a leather so some leather products could damage it. Recall some thread about that on here somewhere.
Maybe I missed it in another thread but did the OP mention the use of Gyeon Leathershield? I can't see the seat ever getting hot enough to change the phase of a ceramic coating. I was set on getting white interior but maybe black is the safer way to go seeing numerous photos pop up like this. I wonder if the heating elements are causing the white plastic to simply discolor?

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
I noticed these lines while cleaning the bottom part of the seat since I had a lot of jean dye transfer. Jean dye came right off with a microfiber cloth and Hydro Silex Deep Cleaning; I tried to wipe those marks off from the heating elements from the back seat with no luck.

Just noticed the same thing on mine, did you ever figure out the cause or how to get rid of them?
Sorry for the late reply, I don't log on here often.
Looking at the seat now I can no longer make out the lines that were there, I think general cleaning over time have made them fade away.
Still love the white seats and they look great after 2 and a half years and with 2 kids under 8!

Reactions: thewanted