Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel - nope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just collected my M3 LR, "LWR" and was expecting it to have a heated steering wheel but the option is missing... even after the overnight SW update.... which is most odd as its identical to the test car I drove over a week ago which did have it .... I'm not sure who to ask, I phoned customer services and they said 'they don't know' .... any thoughts here?

Just collected my M3 LR, "LWR" and was expecting it to have a heated steering wheel but the option is missing... even after the overnight SW update.... which is most odd as its identical to the test car I drove over a week ago which did have it .... I'm not sure who to ask, I phoned customer services and they said 'they don't know' .... any thoughts here?
Did you look in the heated seats screen? Where are you looking for the button?

It should have it. When you say you called customer services, was that some general number?

Some LRs turned up without Front Fogs activated, so it wouldn't be the first time that something like this happened.
well, the mystery is over.... called the 01628 450 660 number and well after three calls back to me (and being told that M3's don't have heated steering wheels, next call this is not an option on this car without the cold weather option and "who told you it exists, what was the dealer name and location" (no such thing as cold weather option "tab" I can see, maybe was a couple of years ago in the software)... then a while later another call out of the blue to say it is now active... it mysteriously appeared as an option in the heated seat control ! = happy days.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and Cardo
well, the mystery is over.... called the 01628 450 660 number and well after three calls back to me (and being told that M3's don't have heated steering wheels, next call this is not an option on this car without the cold weather option and "who told you it exists, what was the dealer name and location" (no such thing as cold weather option "tab" I can see, maybe was a couple of years ago in the software)... then a while later another call out of the blue to say it is now active... it mysteriously appeared as an option in the heated seat control ! = happy days.

Good outcome ... but really! This is why we frequently have to take information from Tesla SC with a pinch of salt. This isn't the first time an owner has known more than the SC.

Great example of the level of knowledge from Tesla reps!

Reactions: Adopado
Got the LR so seems like it need a config update then. Would have thought this would be done with the usual updates so guessing there's some other way of getting these?
Set up a service appointment through the app and explain in the notes. They should just push the config update and then cancel the physical appointment. Easy, as long as you don’t get a cantankerous technician who refuses to acknowledge M3s have heated steering wheels!

Got the LR so seems like it need a config update then. Would have thought this would be done with the usual updates so guessing there's some other way of getting these?
Give your local Tesla SC a call I guess? You aren't the first person this has happened to, and apparently it has been resolved with an OTA config change. It might even be done on yours automatically before too long.

Heated mirrors have always been standard, as has an auto-dimming rear view mirror.

It's only the wing mirrors that have changed (twice).. the car launched with dimming, it went away from around February 2020 on manufactured cars, and then came back around September I think, on the pre-refresh refresh (original console with USB-C instead of USB-A)

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t se the point of a heated steering wheel. Not once in over 30 years of driving have I ever got in the car and thought, ‘oh no, the steering wheel is too cold’.

It certainly hasn’t happened ever since I’ve been able to warm up the whole car remote before even getting into it.

Seems like solving a problem that doesn’t exist. Right up there with the clockwork inflatable washing machine I’ve been considering patenting 😁

Reactions: JS77
Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t se the point of a heated steering wheel. Not once in over 30 years of driving have I ever got in the car and thought, ‘oh no, the steering wheel is too cold’.

It certainly hasn’t happened ever since I’ve been able to warm up the whole car remote before even getting into it.

Seems like solving a problem that doesn’t exist. Right up there with the clockwork inflatable washing machine I’ve been considering patenting 😁
If you suffered from Raynaud's I reckon you'd feel the benefit, but with cabin preconditioning it's maybe not as essential as some seem to think.

I work outside for some of the time, sometimes at night.

Often get in a car with hands that feel frozen. So looking forward to a heated steering wheel.

So solves a problem for me. And anyone else that wears gloves, probably.

Reactions: Stranger Dings

A heated steering wheel is lovely. Not generally absolutely necessary, but much like many other features, it’s very nice to have. A toasty steering wheel when your hands are cold is very pleasant.

Reactions: Stranger Dings