Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel on Model 3 SR+ 2021 - August Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What doesn't make sense to me with that is that heated rear seats are already a paid OTA unlock available in the app. If Tesla wanted they could just discount that, if the takeup wasn't as good as they wanted it to be, rather than making the option part of the base spec?

Ah but they increased the cost of the base model, so everyone pays full price (or more) for the heated seats upgrade now.

I'm sure they've thought it all through.

Some people are actually being told by their SA that they will be getting the bigger battery, heated seats and wheel, and a 0 - 60 mph time of 5.6 secs, almost an interim version???
We’ve had various half and half model changes in the past so there’s every possibility of that. The numbers I posted were for the published numbers for previous models and for the new base Model 3 for 2022.

Reactions: MrBadger
I managed to grab some of the configuration code for one of the new Inventory M3s with the bigger battery while they were listed (this is all buried in the web page so no magic to get it but it tells you a lot more about the car).

{
"code": "$RSF0",
"group": "HEATED_SEAT",
"long_name": "No Rear Heated Seats",
"name": "No Rear Heated Seats"
}

Key thing is it explicitly states No rear heated seats. Whereas if you look at the same info for the Long Range

{
"code": "$RSF1",
"name": "Front and Rear Heated Seats",
"long_name": "",
"description": "Rear Heated Seats"
}

Whats also interesting is the 0-60 time of 5.8s is listed but cars with the equivalent codes but measured in km do have 0-100 in 5.6 so I imagine somebody at Tesla has simply typed them in the wrong way round and why so many people are getting the 2 confused - Tesla themselves have them transposed and its not an interim model, the 5.6s to 60 is the 0-60 and its just recorded incorrectly in the cars meta data.

I wouldn't be selling the rear seat blanket just yet on the SR+ until someones taken delivery and actually confirmed it.

I managed to grab some of the configuration code for one of the new Inventory M3s with the bigger battery while they were listed (this is all buried in the web page so no magic to get it but it tells you a lot more about the car).

{
"code": "$RSF0",
"group": "HEATED_SEAT",
"long_name": "No Rear Heated Seats",
"name": "No Rear Heated Seats"
}

Key thing is it explicitly states No rear heated seats. Whereas if you look at the same info for the Long Range

{
"code": "$RSF1",
"name": "Front and Rear Heated Seats",
"long_name": "",
"description": "Rear Heated Seats"
}

Whats also interesting is the 0-60 time of 5.8s is listed but cars with the equivalent codes but measured in km do have 0-100 in 5.6 so I imagine somebody at Tesla has simply typed them in the wrong way round and why so many people are getting the 2 confused - Tesla themselves have them transposed and its not an interim model, the 5.6s to 60 is the 0-60 and its just recorded incorrectly in the cars meta data.

I wouldn't be selling the rear seat blanket just yet on the SR+ until someones taken delivery and actually confirmed it.

Great find!

Interesting about the 0-60/0-100 confusion too, as it's been a lengthy discussion of conflicting info and opinions over on the pending delivery thread!

Tesla themselves have them transposed and its not an interim model, the 5.6s to 60 is the 0-60 and its just recorded incorrectly in the cars meta data.
The current rear wheel drive model has a 0-60 time of 5.8 s and a 0-62 time of 6.1 s. If times of 5.6 and 5.8 are being quoted then they are an interim specification as the old SR+ spec was 5.3 and 5.6 s.

Reactions: Simonix and Adopado
Another interesting note: I have a July 2021 SR+ US version. If you say the command "turn on heated steering wheel" car response this feature is not yet available.

I don't think that means anything ... you get similar responses if you ask it to switch on/off the lights etc. I know it uses the exciting word "yet" but I wouldn't take it to necessarily mean the feature is on its way.

I don't think that means anything ... you get similar responses if you ask it to switch on/off the lights etc. I know it uses the exciting word "yet" but I wouldn't take it to necessarily mean the feature is on its way.
The responses have changed though. It used to say (and may still do) "Failed to turn on steering wheel heater" on older cars. I will test mine tomorrow (which has a heated steering wheel fitted, but not working). I suspect I'll get the same error message.

Attachments

• fl69b10rcza61.jpg
    fl69b10rcza61.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 144
Proper struggling to get an answer here. I have LFT battery at 263 miles. But the heated seats option doesnt mention anything about the steering wheel. I thought all refreshed models were able to get heated steering wheel if they bought the heated passenger seats.

Anyone have experience buying the rear passenger heated seats and if an option became available to have heated steering?

Its getting colder and this would be really quite nice.

Cheers
I had it confirmed that my order made on 3rd Oct, (original battery) now has the new LFT battery, but no rear heated seats or steering wheel.

I'll give a little cheer for you if you finally manage to get it working!
Thanks. I'm not holding my breath given Tesla time. The only chance I've got, I think, is 2021 SR+ owners getting it as an (probably paid) OTA upgrade and somehow the mothership giving me the option to unlock it to. I've got exactly nowhere trying to get anyone in Tesla to activate it, but I don't have any contacts on the inside.

I had it confirmed that my order made on 3rd Oct, (original battery) now has the new LFT battery, but no rear heated seats or steering wheel.
For what it's worth - the online configurator doesn't show enabled heated steering wheel or rear heated seats on SR+s (aka "Model 3") specced now, and they have the 5.8 0-60 and increased range. The LR and P specs specifically mention those features as being part of the car, the "Model 3" doesn't.

It would not be the first time that a service centre has communicated something that is wrong. I will be surprised (but happy for those that get it) if 2022 "Model 3"s come with a heated steering wheel pre-activated, when Tesla could quite easily add a paid OTA option for it, and actually said they were going to do just that back in April.

Oh that's interesting, thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of them personally but the wife likes them.
My SR+ (2019) actually had the rear heated seats activated for about the first couple of months (though I knew they weren't part of the official configuration). They eventually stopped working and there was then the option to buy the feature through the Tesla app. Neither me nor my wife make much use of the heated seats in the front* and we only occasionally have passengers so we chose not to buy the additional heater function for the back. Anyway it remains an option on the app so we could buy them at any time if we particularly wanted to.

*The ability to pre-warm the car before you even get in it is a joy in winter so there is less need for the seats to be warmed or to have a heated steering wheel IMHO. However, some people choose to have lower cabin heat and use the heated seats in preference ... they reckon they can even use a little less battery by doing this.

Thanks. I'm not holding my breath given Tesla time. The only chance I've got, I think, is 2021 SR+ owners getting it as an (probably paid) OTA upgrade and somehow the mothership giving me the option to unlock it to. I've got exactly nowhere trying to get anyone in Tesla to activate it, but I don't have any contacts on the inside.

Not only will I cheer if you get it working, I'll be copying you and doing the same thing.

Hope you don't mind, I've held back doing the same because I'm following your journey first.

Reactions: Durzel
Turns out I was wrong :)

Tesla website has been updated for the standard car with Partial Premium interior to have heated steering wheel and seats as standard. On FB someone has collected their car today and has it enabled.

I guess the only differences now between the base car and LR are AWD, longer range and upgraded speakers?

So FYI for you lucky 2022 “SR+” owners, you’re getting a good upgrade.

Reactions: Adopado