Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When our 3 was being repaired after a collision we had an Audi A4 rental which had a heated steering wheel. I hated it. It felt weird, was unevenly warm and I would turn it off when ever it turned itself on randomly. I know thats just my 2 cents, and it obviously doesn't mean people who enjoy it are wrong, but I figured I'd add my opinion in. I don't know how many model Y buyers want this feature, but I for one am fine without it.

This is a good point. But for a long road trip where you are trying to keep the heat low to save range it could save some miles.
Also a fair point, but on long road trips my wife is in the car and she just has to have the heat blasting away... if it were just me driving long distance, I'd probably use seat warmers and the heated steering wheel (or gloves like I do in my 3 if its below freezing outside).

Reactions: HyperionMark
We were bummed last year to find out that our Model 3 wouldn't have a heated steering wheel.

But then we took delivery (in winter in Germany) and have never thought about it a single time since then (except when I see threads like these!)

Always had them in our BMWs but we just don't miss it anymore in our Model 3--not a single bit. I think it's also a matter of the material of the steering wheel. Even without preconditioning the interior, the steering wheel just doesn't feel exceptionally cold like the one in our last BMW 3-series did.

We were bummed last year to find out that our Model 3 wouldn't have a heated steering wheel.

But then we took delivery (in winter in Germany) and have never thought about it a single time since then (except when I see threads like these!)

Always had them in our BMWs but we just don't miss it anymore in our Model 3--not a single bit. I think it's also a matter of the material of the steering wheel. Even without preconditioning the interior, the steering wheel just doesn't feel exceptionally cold like the one in our last BMW 3-series did.
Is yours the new vegan steering wheel or good old fashioned leather?

I live in a cold weather state and with my Model 3 this winter, I've effectively missed my old heated steering wheel zero. I never have and will again need to get into a cold car interior, so the idea of making my hands melt to help make me feel marginally more warm overall while I wait for an ICE to warm up, is completely gone.

I understand the OP has a 3 and still wants it, I guess we're all in different circumstances, but overall there have to be others like me. When I get into my wife's [freezing cold] X3 one of the first things I do as soon as the heater gets going is figure out how to turn the damn cornballer hot steering wheel off.

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
It would be really easy to modify the steering wheel with a heating element under the leather. Does anyone know how impossible it would be to run an extra wire through the steering wheel column to power it?

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-17_19-31-45.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-17_19-31-45.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 126
But couldn't you just turn climate control on prior to entering your vehicle? If you charge at home, you could even get your car pre-heated whilst getting ready in the morning (or whatever).
Uses much less energy to not preheat and simply use direct heat such as seat warmers and/or heated steering wheel. For places that get subzero, this would be very welcome.

Not a deal breaker, but a nice feature in a 50K+ vehicle, which just about every vehicle at that price point includes. I never thought I'd use mine, but I have found that I use it almost every day from November to March here in Chicago. I usually don't turn the (heat pump) heater on, but I do depend on the wheel and the seats because that works well enough and uses a bit less energy than general cabin heat.

Reactions: rylangreg
Deal breaker for me. I have a 3 and in Buffalo NY the wheel is crazy cold often. I make do, but I was considering getting DW a Y to replace our old Dodge minivan, but that old rustbucket POS has a heated steering wheel that she loves. I'm not taking away that important creature comfort from a woman with peripheral circulation issues.

I'd happily add it as a $1k option. It's a shame it likely won't happen.

I've never had a car with a heated steering wheel, and never really had an issue. Any cold is temporary, so not a big deal.

I rented a Dodge Durango with a heated steering wheel over the christmas holiday and it was the worst. It only had one setting and was way too hot. The car would also automatically turn it back on (along with the heated seats at the highest setting) everytime I started the car. I had to constantly turn it off and the seats down.

I'm hoping there was a setting somewhere that would turn that behavior off. I searched briefly but couldn't find anything. (I love the simplicity of Tesla's menus)

Yeah I get that part of it. I suppose I'm just not understanding why this seems like such a huge dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Simple: for people on the go, it's not always possible to pre-plan and pre-heat the car. Given that people are always holding the wheel, it's better to have it heated, especially when subzero temperatures are the norm as although the cabin warms up, the steering wheel itself takes more time. It's also beneficial to warm up your hands if you have to clear off the car before leaving. Yeah, you can wear gloves, but why is it so hard for Tesla to put something in place that's already in the S and X as well as all the competitors?