Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater - doesn't.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, look at the pic. One of these is lying. I'll give you a hint. It's not the thermometer.

Really starting to rethink my X purchase... The SC is 3 hours round trip + tolls. Getting tired of the trip.

It it was only 40 out. What happens when it's 20?! I could barely keep the car 65 on HI.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    818.3 KB · Views: 168
That's terrible. I drove to Vegas last week and it was 35º out and freezing rain, had range mode on, and heat set to 75º and it was perfect. I think there is something strange going on with some cars but not others. Get them to come get it and bring you a loaner that works? What a pain. Sorry.

I believe on most cars (early cars exempted), the temp sensor is behind the little "speaker grill" by the USB ports in the center console (its not a speaker grill, but it looks like that). On early cars, I understand the sensor is under the dash by the driver's right knee. If that grill is blocked by stuff in the center storage console, that could allow heat to build up inside the center console where the sensor is and that's what its sensing.

Our car is a 2013, Feb build, with the sensor near the driver's knee. If your sensor is there, here's the following things that could be causing this:
1) The sensor isn't in its holder anymore and is close to a component that gets warm and is sensing that temperature,
2) One of the airducts in the dash could be leaking warm air behind the dash, warming up that space, but not the cabin.
3) The sensor's bad.

Similar if you have the newer placement, but instead of dash airducts, it could be coming from the airducts for the back seats. An easy test of this one is to make sure the back vents are fully open. If that improves your heating performance, I would guess you've got warm air heating the center console instead of the cabin.

I tried rebooting both screens, twice. And turning range mode ON, the OFF (I don't use range mode/drive far).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also guessing it's the sensor that's jacked. The car thinks it's warm, so it doesn't give me any heat. I had it on hi/85 for 2 hours, still cold.

maybe I can talk them into an auto pilot loaner for the holidays... I still love the car, just need a closer SC... And don't like cold!

all vents open, nothing in center console, etc. thanks for the ideas. I have an early 2013, and "preCPO" with a 6 year 100k bumper to bumper at least...

This has been covered extensively in other recent threads. If you have 7.0 earlier than .77, then there are major problems. I'm on .77 and there was a little improvement but I understand from others that 2.9.40 puts it back the way 6.x was and all is fine again. Talk to your service center and they can easily resolve this.

This has been covered extensively in other recent threads. If you have 7.0 earlier than .77, then there are major problems. I'm on .77 and there was a little improvement but I understand from others that 2.9.40 puts it back the way 6.x was and all is fine again. Talk to your service center and they can easily resolve this.

I have 2.9.40 (90% certain I do) and the performance still sucks. I guess I'll call service.

Call SC.. it's a known issue. I had this happen to me twice... reboot fixed it the first time but then happened again off and on. I was FREEZING and had heated seats on. There is a firmware update available for it. My SC sent a message to engineers to push a firmware update and it's been working ever since. So you won't have to take your car in. One of the things I love about Tesla!

I called the SC - they are low on loaners, but asked if I'd try it one more time. I didn't drive it today, took the Mazda to get it inspected. I'll give it another shot, but if they loan me one w/auto pilot I may just accidentally keep it over xmas ;).

I searched for "heater" but all the results looked like crap. Can someone write a good search for this site? please :)

wait, i used 'hvac broke' and found some.

I called the SC - they are low on loaners, but asked if I'd try it one more time. I didn't drive it today, took the Mazda to get it inspected. I'll give it another shot, but if they loan me one w/auto pilot I may just accidentally keep it over xmas ;).

I searched for "heater" but all the results looked like crap. Can someone write a good search for this site? please :)

wait, i used 'hvac broke' and found some.
You shouldn't have to take it in ... they should be able to push the firmware over the air. Although loaner with autopilot does sound tempting! :biggrin:

I believe on most cars (early cars exempted), the temp sensor is behind the little "speaker grill" by the USB ports in the center console (its not a speaker grill, but it looks like that). On early cars, I understand the sensor is under the dash by the driver's right knee. If that grill is blocked by stuff in the center storage console, that could allow heat to build up inside the center console where the sensor is and that's what its sensing.

Our car is a 2013, Feb build, with the sensor near the driver's knee. If your sensor is there, here's the following things that could be causing this:
1) The sensor isn't in its holder anymore and is close to a component that gets warm and is sensing that temperature,
2) One of the airducts in the dash could be leaking warm air behind the dash, warming up that space, but not the cabin.
3) The sensor's bad.

Similar if you have the newer placement, but instead of dash airducts, it could be coming from the airducts for the back seats. An easy test of this one is to make sure the back vents are fully open. If that improves your heating performance, I would guess you've got warm air heating the center console instead of the cabin.
Very good analysis.

Mine failed today for the first time. It was a "chilly" 57º outside so I thought I'd try the heater. Worked great for about 10 miles blowing nice warm air gently at 75º. Turned car off to make the first stop in my day. Got back in about 10 minutes later and car would only blow cold air. Luckily my second stop of the day was to Tesla for a creaky dash above the glovebox. They also could not get it to blow hot air. I am still on 2.7.77, but heater had been working fine up to today, the few times I'd actually had to use it. Will be interesting to see what they have to say when I pick it up tomorrow.

Mine failed today for the first time. It was a "chilly" 57º outside so I thought I'd try the heater. Worked great for about 10 miles blowing nice warm air gently at 75º. Turned car off to make the first stop in my day. Got back in about 10 minutes later and car would only blow cold air. Luckily my second stop of the day was to Tesla for a creaky dash above the glovebox. They also could not get it to blow hot air. I am still on 2.7.77, but heater had been working fine up to today, the few times I'd actually had to use it. Will be interesting to see what they have to say when I pick it up tomorrow.
Intriguing, seeing that you have the latest model S, a P90D, the sensor should be located below the arm rest as others have reported, so unlikely that the sensor has fallen off its location. Could it be a bad batch of PTC sensor that is causing the no heat? Please keep us posted. Thx.

Emailed the SC. They said that the newer firmware has the car colder than older firmare. Apparently not a single Tesla engineer knows what "cold" is... it's this rare thing that never happens in CA.

you know what... my 2009 5.3L V8 Tahoe has no problems with me setting the temp at 72 in summer, OR winter. it's 72!

But set my Tesla to 78 in winter, and my thermometer, after 20 min shows 68! (app shows 78)

Apparently you can build an electric car, but you can't even measure temperature. I call bull$hit on this. I shouldn't have to set the car to 80 to barely be comfortable. Or endure 'Well I don't want it 80' from passengers... Ohh it's a feature?

It wasn't this cold last year in my car!

Emailed the SC. They said that the newer firmware has the car colder than older firmare. Apparently not a single Tesla engineer knows what "cold" is... it's this rare thing that never happens in CA.

you know what... my 2009 5.3L V8 Tahoe has no problems with me setting the temp at 72 in summer, OR winter. it's 72!

But set my Tesla to 78 in winter, and my thermometer, after 20 min shows 68! (app shows 78)

Apparently you can build an electric car, but you can't even measure temperature. I call bull$hit on this. I shouldn't have to set the car to 80 to barely be comfortable. Or endure 'Well I don't want it 80' from passengers... Ohh it's a feature?

It wasn't this cold last year in my car!

This is what is severely frustrating me.