TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help! 100D vs P100D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by schnieds, Jan 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. schnieds

schnieds Member

Hey everyone,

I've found two private party Teslas and I am trying to decide which one to make my first Tesla. The decision isn't financial strain in either case, but I would like to make the best decision from an enjoyment and future resale value point of view. Here are my choices:

2016 P100D late Nov 2016 build
    AP 2.0 hardware
    6k miles, showroom condition (owned and babied by a collector)
    Red/black, 21 inch gray wheels, premium upgrades pkg, pano glass roof, air suspension, ultra high-fi sound, premium seats, cold weather, enhanced auto pilot, full self driving
    Free lifetime supercharging
    $90k

2017 100D August build
    AP 2.5 hardware
    13k miles, great condition
    Blue/tan, air suspension, premium sound, premium tan seats, air suspension, sunroof, cold weather, enhanced auto pilot, full self driving, vinyl wrap
    $74k

I would want to replace the default weeks on the 100D with something nicer so probably another $2k there. I am leaning on going with the P100D since it is practically brand new for just a $14k difference, but I am hoping for a sanity check.

What would you do? :p

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

That's a hell of a deal for a low mileage AP2 P100D.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

P100 all day

4. pedriscoll

pedriscoll Active Member

Really, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want the blinding speed of the P100D, then go for it. That is a great deal for a car with 6000 miles on it. However, with the 100D you get AP 2.5, 1 more year on the battery warranty, and greater range. My 100D is plenty fast enough for me. I have managed to cause vertigo in nearly every passenger for whom I have demonstrated a launch. I can pass anyone at any time on the highway. Just my 2 cents.

• Like x 1
  5. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

uncorked 100Ds are very fast.

• Like x 1
  6. MTOman

MTOman Member

I would do a P100D over a 100D regardless because I like that little extra acceleration. Disregarding that, given what you presented I would still choose the P100D over the 100D, mainly because of the miles and the fact it was babied by a collector as that goes a long way in my book.. I recently purchased a 'toy' car from a collector and what a difference that can make - arrived in showroom condition with just a hair over 3k miles when all the others I was looking at were in the 10-15k range.

There are advantages to going with the 100D, as others have mentioned, but if it were me it would be an easy decision to get the P100D. Either one you choose you're going to LOVE it :D

• Like x 1
  7. Starman

Starman New Member

P100D

• Like x 1
  8. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Check the insurance rates too, before you pick one, they may differ quite a bit.

• Like x 1
  9. Tic-tac-toe

Tic-tac-toe Member

Shop around. I was pleasantly surprised by Geico and left State Farm which I’ve used forever. Huge difference in rates for the same insurance.

Get the P100D. You’ll love it!

10. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

P100D. No question. That price is a steal.

11. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

P100D, great deal!

12. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

A CPO P100D with AP2 sold for the low 90s a couple of months back. If you look around you can find a P100D with AP2 for around $90K. There are 2 P100D CPOs with AP2 currently available for the mid 90s and they will both receive price reductions every few days until they reach around $90K.

13. theoceanwaves

theoceanwaves Banned

14. schnieds

schnieds Member

Good idea. I got a quote and the P is only $15 / month more than the non-P.

15. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Oh, I would have thought the Ps would be outrageous.