Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!! Battery replacement issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Tesla S with 27k MLS. I have had numerous repairs, many MAJOR; 3 charge ports, 2x half shafts, electrical voltage modulator, windshield, and last 3 mos. a new battery pack since the battery cable failed. In service for over a mos., the original battery was 275-280ml. (Long range). I was told the replacement would be as good or better than the original battery, but it is not; full charge is now only 235mls. so I've lost 50mls.!! Am trying to resolve with the service manager, little progress so far.
Radio not right either, static, haven't been able to fix. Any suggestions??? Trying to find a regional service manager for NE area.

It will not be "as good or better than the original battery." The warranty says:

"If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty repair, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a new, reconditioned or remanufactured part at the sole discretion of Tesla. The warranty replacement may not restore the vehicle to a "like new" condition, but when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred while taking into consideration other factors, including the age and mileage of the vehicle."

*For warranty claims specific to Battery capacity, the replacement Battery will be in a condition appropriate to the age and mileage of the vehicle sufficient to achieve or exceed the minimum Battery capacity for the remainder of the warranty period of the original Battery. Note that the vehicle’s range estimates are an imperfect measure of Battery capacity because they are affected by additional factors separate from Battery capacity. The measurement method used to determine Battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or remanufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Tesla."

I think the general consensus is the battery will lose about 2-3% per year, so in three years this adds up to 6%-9%, which is much less than the 16% you appear to see.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
I was told the replacement would be as good or better than the original battery, but it is not; full charge is now only 235mls. so I've lost 50mls.!! Am trying to resolve with the service manager, little progress so far.

Print Tesla's warranty document:

Page 6:
"Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred while taking into consideration other factors, including the age and mileage of the vehicle."

Upvote 0
I read the OP saying that before the battery was replaced under warranty, he saw "275-280ml. (Long range)". This would be correct for the age of his 2020 Tesla Long Range, and if it was a Long Range Plus, the original battery would get 402 miles new. If the refurbished battery is 40+ miles less than what he was getting before the exchange, he might need some BMS recalibration or check on the condition of the replacement battery.

Upvote 0