Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Bosch Icon Wiper blades - can't seem to install them!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't answer your question about the wiper blades, but a common reason for wiper chatter is an invisible residue on the windshield or blades that increases friction and causes the blades to catch. It can happen on brand new cars. I remember reading about this many years ago in a car magazine.

On my previous cars when this starts happening, I try cleaning the windshield and blades really well before replacing them. And I don't mean just a washing or Windex. I use a slurry of Barkeepers Friend or Bon-Ami first, then an auto glass cleaner for the windshield and rubbing alcohol for the wiper blades. That's usually all it takes. If the blades still chatter after that, then I replace them.

There really shouldn't be any reason that brand new wiper blades on the Model 3 need to be replaced already. You should try cleaning the windshield and blades first to see if it will eliminate the chattering. I think there's a good chance it will. If it keeps happening even after doing that and replacing the blades, there could be a wiper arm tension problem that service would have to look at.
This all makes sense. And I did pretty much what you suggest. Three times, actually, I thoroughly cleaned the blades with rubbing alcohol (which is what the RTFManual says to do), plus cleaned three times the windshield with premium car glass cleaners.

Currently, after all that, chatter is eliminated for about the first five minutes. Then, by ten minutes in, the chatter on Auto setting renders them useless. I have to turn off the wipers and rely on pressing the left stalk button for literally manual operation of the wipers. These are OEM wipers, 8K miles on the car, no RainX or anything applied. Sucks.

You just need to wait the chatter out on the stock blades. It goes away eventually. Took a couple of months for me, but it's completely gone now. Not really sure if its some kind of coating on the glass that needs to wear off, or the blades breaking in, but all is well now.

Reactions: FoghornLeghorn
We had the chatter with the OEM blades. I was told to take a microfiber towel and isopropyl alcohol (buy it at a pharmacy type store) and thoroughly rub the blades. Well, it worked 100%. Immediately.
Did the same thing. Three times, I thoroughly wiped the blades off with isopropyl alchohol. Very thoroughly each time. Helped a little, but only ultimately delayed the onset of chatter from almost immediately to about five minutes into using the blades in steady downpour. Hope it will improve more as time goes on.

Reactions: beachmiles
Did the same thing. Three times, I thoroughly wiped the blades off with isopropyl alchohol. Very thoroughly each time. Helped a little, but only ultimately delayed the onset of chatter from almost immediately to about five minutes into using the blades in steady downpour. Hope it will improve more as time goes on.
What is your VIN? I am 96xxx and the trick worked immediately.

Thank you Stevesnow27 and Kalex for posting the pictures, the detailed instructions and tips on how to replace the OEM wipers with Bosch ones. I was able to replace them successfully after buying the recommended ones from Autozone. They are part No 26OE and 19OE with the blue mark "clear max 365" on the outer carton. Initially I bought the ones from Amazon without the clear max 365 mark and found out they don't come with the required adaptor 4. On the adaptor it is critical to break the top plastic part to the base without leaving an edge. The pictures show this clearly. If you leave an edge the blade won't fully slide into position.

• Helpful
Reactions: jsanford
Greetings. I bought the Bosch Icon 19OE and 26OE, and installed them following the precise instructions of Jimmy1.
Well it went very well, took 15 minutes, fits perfect.

Thanks Jimmy1
Same here but I cut with a different tool.

IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG

BOSH 19OE and 26OE with the #4 clip did the trick. You only have to shave off the inside part. I tried to re-use the Tesla clip but the hole is slightly smaller than the BOSCH mount. I thought about drilling it out to make it a little bigger, but I was worried that would weaken the mount. I am glad I was able to get the #4 clip to work.

Just in time for California Winter.

Just want to say thanks to the people in here. I've always used Bosch ICON wipers for many years and was sad to see that they didn't have them for the Model 3. Stumbled upon this thread, bought the 19OE and 26OE, followed the pics/guides here and it fit perfectly! I used needle nose pliers to chip away at that little side clip thing, took some maneuvering, twisting, and some force for some of it. I then used a box cutter to shave down some of the plastic on the side as well. Thanks everyone!

• Funny
Reactions: TheCaptain67
The Icon series has been depricated since Q3 2017, when Bosch introduced their latest Envision line (sold exclusively via Autozone in the US, especially for the OE part numbers).

We talked about that on here a few times since early 2018.

Same approach to the install as the older Icons - adapter #4, pliers/knife assist mod, and resultant perfect fit.

The Envision blades have a few key advantages useful with the optics and curvature of the Model 3/Y windshields.
See the marketing materials below for details.

ENVISION Windshield Wiper Blades