Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP - fans running constantly overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unplugged my car around 11 p.m. yesterday and it was making a humming or whirring noise. Looking online it sounds like this is the car sucking in air to cool the battery. Seemed odd to me given that it’s only ~14 Celsius in the evening here but if it stopped soon then whatever.

I checked the car again around 10 a.m. today and it had lost 4% battery in those 11 hours, with the fans still humming away.

Does anyone know what I should do? Not sure if it’s a problems with the fans incorrectly thinking that the battery is hot or if there’s a problem causing the battery to get hot despite it not being used and the ambient temperature being cool.

Was the car locked properly? Could have been the climate control left running. Happened to me once when I walked away from the car without the rear trunk being properly closed, but thankfully I spotted it soon enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Was the car locked properly? Could have been the climate control left running. Happened to me once when I walked away from the car without the rear trunk being properly closed, but thankfully I spotted it soon enough.

Good tip but not the case unfortunately. No climate control on when we got back yesterday and even check to make sure it was off this morning.

I stopped the fans getting carried away. Fix in case anyone else needs it in the future:

Via the Tesla app on my phone I turned the AC on and set the target temperature to 16 Celsius so it would blow cold air. After 20 seconds of that I changed the target temperature to 20 C so it would blow hot air. After another 20 seconds I turned off the air conditioning. I then went outside to the car and the whirring has stopped.

Reactions: -DB-
Glad this is resolved, hopefully permanently. However, this doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, would be good to understand what was going wrong to need this workaround. Either a hardware fault or a software bug.

Hope you reported this to Tesla as a bug & to Service Centre, then at least it gives them the opportunity to gather data & determine root cause.

which model ?

I unplugged my car around 11 p.m. yesterday and it was making a humming or whirring noise. Looking online it sounds like this is the car sucking in air to cool the battery. Seemed odd to me given that it’s only ~14 Celsius in the evening here but if it stopped soon then whatever.

I checked the car again around 10 a.m. today and it had lost 4% battery in those 11 hours, with the fans still humming away.

Does anyone know what I should do? Not sure if it’s a problems with the fans incorrectly thinking that the battery is hot or if there’s a problem causing the battery to get hot despite it not being used and the ambient temperature being cool.