Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help getting off the fence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I’ve been on the fence for months about buying a new model S. I took a few 24 hour test drives back in August and was floored by the convenience of auto pilot and at home charging and many other factors. My main hang up hinges on two separate factors. First, all the complaints about auto pilot gives me pause into the reliability of the company overall. Even though my personal experience with auto pilot back in August was far away above any other vehicle I’ve ever driven, I hesitate due to the fact of all the broken promises. Should I be concerned that if that bought a new Tesla I may not have the same experience with auto pilot as I did on the ones I test drove? In addition, one of the huge selling points for a new Tesla is the eight year unlimited mile powertrain warranty, Especially on a vehicle that cost so much money. Is anyone else concerned about the future of Tesla and how that might affect The warranty and depreciation of such a large depreciating asset as a Tesla?

Do you know if the car you test drove had AP2/AP2.5 hardware and not AP1? (I assume it did)
If so, you should expect similar behavior in a new car. If anything, it would be BETTER than what you test drove because there have been updates since then.

People are frustrated because Elon loves to over promise things and they clearly were further away from where we all expected when they switched from AP1 to AP2 (due to the loss of their partner MobileEye). Most AP2 drivers now feel that it is comparable to AP1 now (besides auto rain sensing wipers and showing the speed limit and cars in adjacent roads on the dash).

The biggest factor on whether you are "happy" or not with the future of Tesla is your expectations. If you expect to have full self driving capabilities or huge improvements in auto-pilot in the next year, you are in line for disappointment. If you are happy with where AP is now, which it sounds like you are, you will be in love with your car. I have AP1 and it's amazingly helpful - better than any other car on the market. Separate from AP, the car is FUN to drive and really great all around.

Personally I have no concerns about the future of Tesla. Do I think all cars with AP2/AP2.5 hardware will eventually be full self driving? It's possible, sure, but I don't EXPECT them to be there any time soon. If I had to guess, we won't see any full self driving cars for 5+ years.

Tesla also has 400,000 preorders for Model 3, more products in the pipeline, and huge battery factories coming along. Tesla has a strong future. That future may not be fully autonomous cars (it may be), but they will still make awesome products regardless.

Good luck with your decision!

Don't worry, be happy.
Tesla is usually late on their promises but they do deliver... eventually. My three year old car gets regular updates and just keeps getting better. Your new car will have a better AP than what you drove in August and it will keep getting better with each update.
As far as the long term viability of the company... There are lots of naysayers who are short the stock and hoping for disaster but they keep losing money. Tesla seems charmed in that they can keep raising money to fund new cars and production.
They could go bankrupt... but I wouldn't bet on it.

...all the broken promises...

Tesla usually has a problem of keeping the timeline but their promises are eventually fulfilled if you live long enough to wait.

...future of Tesla...

In the very beginning, when Tesla was still a private company, there's a blog "Tesla Deathwatch".

It would have more chance to die at that time since finding cash from private sources was extremely difficult.

Now, that Tesla has been a public company that has access to the almost unlimited cash resource from the public, I am not worried about its financial health.

...depreciation..

The concern is justifiable because Tesla keeps adding new features continuously without even waiting for a year model.

It's just like getting an iPhone but at least, you know you have at least a year before it will become obsolete.

I buy Tesla because I need it, just like when I needed a crude but very expensive DOS Personal Computer because I wanted to ditched my typewriter, not because I thought I could re-sell it with good value when Windows, Apple would arrive shortly.

Just get the car already :) you won't be disappointed. No one needs to buy a car at these price points. It is purely a decision of want and lust. If you have the means which I assume that you do go for it. it'll be the most engaging and intuitive Driving Experience you've ever had, everything else will seem obsolete.

You're going to love it. Yes, it takes Tesla longer than expected to deliver on promises. It doesn't take away from the fact that it is absolutely great car to drive and it is a promise of a future that you can get today. Like others said, if you have means just go and get it already! :)

Hey folks, I’ve been on the fence for months about buying a new model S. I took a few 24 hour test drives back in August and was floored by the convenience of auto pilot and at home charging and many other factors. My main hang up hinges on two separate factors. First, all the complaints about auto pilot gives me pause into the reliability of the company overall. Even though my personal experience with auto pilot back in August was far away above any other vehicle I’ve ever driven, I hesitate due to the fact of all the broken promises. Should I be concerned that if that bought a new Tesla I may not have the same experience with auto pilot as I did on the ones I test drove?

You should absolutely be concerned your experience won't be the same - autopilot versions 2017.40 and 2017.42 are significantly smoother and more reliable in marginal lane marking conditions than what you drove in August. I shudder to think how good it will be by the time your Model S is delivered and built.

In addition, one of the huge selling points for a new Tesla is the eight year unlimited mile powertrain warranty, Especially on a vehicle that cost so much money. Is anyone else concerned about the future of Tesla and how that might affect The warranty and depreciation of such a large depreciating asset as a Tesla?

Nope. Personally I think Tesla is now too big to fail and at worst it would become a takeover target.

Reactions: tccartier
@Joshuak172. You post a lots of the same concerns I had.
As for autopilot, as others posted I cannot see how it will be anything but better than what you experienced. People are comparing it to what Elon promised and complaining. Fair argument but it is not like they have a secret super performing auto pilot that is only placed in loaners.

As for the company solvency that was a real concern in my mind also. They are billions in debt and losing more every quarter. They are selling a luxury good that few can afford. What will happen if the economy turns bad and the loans dry up - right at the same time the luxury goods market tanks?

So, at the risk of being kicked off this forum this is what I did. I bought the S... Then bought a few hundred dollars of long term puts. This makes me the enemy for some but I viewed it as an insurance policy. I put some money in and hope to never ever get anything back. But if catastrophe strikes I will have a little recourse.

Anyways now that I have my Family Joules I love it so much and have had such a great experience I don't even give a crap about the stock price. No matter what happens I am thrilled with my decision. This was some of the best money I have ever spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
Basically, like everyone that has replied mentioned, just get it, as mentioned, a Cell phone, a computer, a TV, a Tesla, is always changing and getting updated, Obviously Tesla is not your typical auto manufacture that waits till the new model year to make changes, they make it when they want to, need to or to improve it. if you want the latest and greatest, get it now and start enjoying it, as tomorrow there will be a newer and better model S, I mean you will be waiting forever for that change..... because the bar is forever moving higher... yes, a bigger battery with more miles will come out, new interior will be introduced, an exterior change will happen, it hopefully will get faster, and of course one day it will be fully autonomous...... as far as reliability, sure like any other product, there are problems, but Tesla, does a great job fixing your car is something is wrong. their service is unmatched by any car company.

don't wait, get one and enjoy it and there is no need to second guess it, something new will come out, but you have the best at the time.... and you have enjoyed it from day 1, instead of waiting for the right time....

After a month of ownership - I'll tell you a few things: I look forward to my drive every time I need to drive. I can't ever, EVER picture myself EVER driving an ICE car. The thought is scary. AP, for me, is best when you are on the freeway. Especially on long drives. Otherwise, it is just another feature of the car. As for all the hiccups you read about - remember one thing - those who come across these hiccups speak loud. Those who don't come across these issues - say little or nothing. Not to demean real issues, but don't let a few loud complaints distract you from the big picture.

As far as Tesla's viability as a company - there are dark forces at work trying to stop this innovative company. The force is strong with ICE cars and they will do anything to scale back this sudden shock by Elon. With that said, the more people own a Model S, X, or 3, the more likely we'll see another end of the ICE age.

When you look at the amount of money that is being invested in the infrastructure, that to me says so much about where Tesla will be in the future. Yes, there late to deliver, because essentially, it is a software issue. That being said, autopilot or no autopilot, the car is the most fun and high-performance I have ever owned. I’ve owned watching cars, including Porsches, and I can’t tell you how much fun it is every day when I go out is get in my Tesla.
To assuage your fears, you might try leasing.
In the meantime, you should read this, on the why you should not wait to buy a Tesla.
Why you should not wait to buy | Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
As far as Tesla's viability as a company - there are dark forces at work trying to stop this innovative company. The force is strong with ICE cars and they will do anything to scale back this sudden shock by Elon. With that said, the more people own a Model S, X, or 3, the more likely we'll see another end of the ICE age.

I've been reading this forum for years and at the beginning Everybody remembered that we were on a mission. Thanks for the reminder! It really does make a difference that each of us buys, new or used, a Tesla (or other electric car, we have three in our family now.

Would anyone care to comment on the usability of the jump seats in the trunk? Our family is growing and although I appreciate the third row in most suvs, most of them are only usable by children. How does that compare to the jump seats in the S?

You are correct. Our granddaughter who is 10 barely fits. However, our grandson, who is five, screams out, before I even get it in Drive, "punch it Grandpa!" They love the seats. But we live in a cool climate up here in the Pacific Northwest. I understand those in the South have issues with ventilation.