Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - I don’t accept this car - Tesla won’t take it back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model Y was delivered Saturday to my driveway. I tried to open the car door and the delivery person said ‘you need to accept the car before you can unlock it’. I said, ‘ how do I know if I want the car if I can’t even open it?’ She said, if you don’t like it ’let us know and we will come back and pick it up as long as you put less than 100 miles on it’. Then she grabbed my phone, and accepted delivery (apparently) and jumped in a waiting Uber. I don’t want the car! I have not driven it. Tesla says it’s mine. I have not signed the registration or title. HELP!

This website is not Affiliated with Tesla in any way, shape or form so there is no help anyone here can provide you. If "accept" was clicked in the app, the car is yours. Your only recourse would be to engage a lawyer and likely go to court, saying that someone representing tesla took your phone from you and pressed "accept" in the app, and you did not (coercion).

There is no "help" that can be provided here. Social media will not help you. Engage a lawyer and find out your options with them. It will not matter whether you register the car or not, as you either applied for a loan and accepted it somewhere, or wired money to pay for the vehicle. If you took out a loan, that will have started (whether you register / drive or not). If you wired the entire payment, they will have the money and registration wont matter.

Car sales in CA are final, there is no cooling off period, but if what you say happened actually happened, and you can testify to that in a court, you might be able to get a lawyer to help you.

I'm in San Diego and have purchased a few Teslas (so I have gone through their process) and may be able to help answer some questions for you.

Can you please provide more information about why you don't want the car? Is there something wrong with it? Or were you just turned off by the phone acceptance without your permission? Have you paid for it? Have you inspected it or driven it? Thanks.

Reactions: ArtK
Yea tell us what are the reasons you don't want the car. Too many defects? Delivery person being unprofessional/sneaky?

I don't think Tesla can take car back once it's being delivered so seems delivery person made false claim but also you sign the agreement whatever she said might not matter, the fine prints on the agreement does when in court trial.

I'm in San Diego and have purchased a few Teslas (so I have gone through their process) and may be able to help answer some questions for you.

Can you please provide more information about why you don't want the car? Is there something wrong with it? Or were you just turned off by the phone acceptance without your permission? Have you paid for it? Have you inspected it or driven it? Thanks.
The car is paid for. I have not driven it. I am completely turned off by the entire experience.

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz and Watts_Up
This website is not Affiliated with Tesla in any way, shape or form so there is no help anyone here can provide you. If "accept" was clicked in the app, the car is yours. Your only recourse would be to engage a lawyer and likely go to court, saying that someone representing tesla took your phone from you and pressed "accept" in the app, and you did not (coercion).

There is no "help" that can be provided here. Social media will not help you. Engage a lawyer and find out your options with them. It will not matter whether you register the car or not, as you either applied for a loan and accepted it somewhere, or wired money to pay for the vehicle. If you took out a loan, that will have started (whether you register / drive or not). If you wired the entire payment, they will have the money and registration wont matter.

Car sales in CA are final, there is no cooling off period, but if what you say happened actually happened, and you can testify to that in a court, you might be able to get a lawyer to help you.
I came to this forum for Information and advice (‘help’) - thank you for yours. I paid for the car and was definitely coerced. I am not litigious though. I am an elderly woman and life is too short for lawsuits.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
It’s no different than what the rest of us went through.

I had to sign all paperwork on all my Tesla before they would even let look at it.

Since I went to a delivery center if I didn’t like it they would let me refuse the delivery, after signing, and then get me another.

Drop off is obviously a similar but different situation as they have to come back for the car or you have to take it back to them.

100 miles or 7 days is what I was told.

You don’t get to take a $10k TV out of the box, plug it in, and set it up before giving them payment.

And yes I understand the massive price difference.

Things change. Everything doesn’t stay the same.

Millions of Tesla’s have been paid and received the same way.

You won’t get the title unless you paid cash… and the registration was digitally signed when you filled out the pre-delivery items and hit the accept delivery button. Sounds a little questionable the delivery person grabbed your phone, opened up the Tesla app, and then hit accept. Good luck in court.
I paid cash. She kept telling me to accept it on the app but I was flustered and she was impatient.

...I don’t want the car! I have not driven it. Tesla says it’s mine. I have not signed the registration or title. HELP!

The short answer is: You are stuck and welcome to the Tesla's way!

I am sorry for the experience. I don't like paying for something that I cannot test drive first either, but that is how it works in Tesla.

Tesla used to have 7 day/1,000 mile refund for a very short time in 2019 on the website (then quietly disappeared) but then there have been no refunds otherwise.

If your car is not a lemon, I don't see how you'll be able to get a refund.

You can call Tesla and see if they will work with you on this, but I don't they will be open to a refund idea since they shut that policy down quite immediately already.

I had to sign all paperwork on all my Tesla before they would even let look at it.

Since I went to a delivery center if I didn’t like it they would let me refuse the delivery, after signing, and then get me another.

Drop off is obviously a similar but different situation as they have to come back for the car or you have to take it back to them.

You don’t get to take a $10k TV out of the box, plug it in, and set it up before giving them payment.

The short answer is: You are stuck and welcome to the Tesla's way!

I am sorry for the experience. I don't like paying for something that I cannot test drive first either, but that is how it works in Tesla.

Tesla used to have 7 day/1,000 mile refund for a very short time in 2019 on the website (then quietly disappeared) but then there have been no refunds otherwise.

If your car is not a lemon, I don't see how you'll be able to get a refund.

You can call Tesla and see if they will work with you on this, but I don't they will be open to a refund idea since they shut that policy down quite immediately already.
Thank you

There is no way you’re actually asking this 💀

She probably asked him to see his phone to show him how to accept delivery and accepted it on his behalf. You really think a Tesla rep would snatch a phone out of someone’s hand?
IMAOB, an elderly lady as stated in #10 wrote, “Then she grabbed my phone, and accepted delivery (apparently) and jumped in a waiting Uber.” Perhaps IMAOB is embellishing.

@IMAOB , you are stuck with the car. Just enjoy the car or sell it. You had many opportunities to avoid this situation such as learning about the purchase process of an expensive car before placing initial factory order. While waiting months for the order, you could have researched the purchase process & you would have realized you did not like the process. You would have also learned how to cancel the order.

Getting ahold of Tesla customer service isn’t really an easy thing to do; especially in the US.
Getting them to give you the response you’re looking for, sure, that isn’t easy, even often for simple things. But I’ve not once had a problem “getting ahold” of someone, whether it be via SMS, in app messaging, or phone call to my local SC.

That is not what we all went through. At least not me. I thoroughly checked out the car before I signed anything and before I wrote the check. I did pick it up at the dealer. Not delivered to my house.

That is not what we all went through. At least not me. I thoroughly checked out the car before I signed anything and before I wrote the check. I did pick it up at the dealer. Not delivered to my house.
My tesla store (tesla doesn’t have dealers) opened the doors so I could sit inside before I signed paperwork or accepted. This was in 12/2021 & has become rarer from what I hear. I knew I could not test drive but I asked anyway. They politely said no.

You can thoroughly inspect inside & out and test drive the car you are buying in a rare case. You get the opportunity when purchasing demo cars that the tesla store wants to offload. Just go to a store and ask if they are selling any demo units. you can not call because these days all calls are routed to a central call Center who never knew if stores had demo units. Stores try to sell demo units before mileage gets too high to consider them used. They also sell often prior to new features being announced or there are quarterly sales goals the company wants to meet. They will discount the cars slightly too. I was offered two vehicles in this manner.