Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identify this Tesla hater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree it wasn't Tesla-hate, but notice the SUV directly in front of her, which is a wider vehicle, is also directly centered in its lane. And, the rider didn't slap the SUV's mirror.
Your presumption that this biker is a Tesla "hater" is about as valid as our postulation that your sister as a biker "hater".

Given that she lives in Cali, where lane splitting by motorcycles is legal and is to be expected by all drivers, the obvious needs to be stated - she was hogging the right-dividing lane and blocking the motorcycle! He sent her a message not to do so again, without any damage done to the car.

With some luck, she learned that lesson.
If she didn't, you need to explain it to her!

Whether you like lane splitting by motorcycles or not (personally, I am not a fan), you need to be aware of the rules of the road in Cali, and leave bikers room to pass.

Similar to right-turn-on-red - in some states it's legal, in others it is not.
Adjust your riving behavior accordingly!

Reactions: VQTRVA
A few months ago: guidelines were provided on the DMV website. It said drivers were expected to give space to motorcycles. Today, guidelines do not exist:

Lane splitting general guidelines

I don't ride motorcycles, but ride bicycles, so when a driver shifts over, it signals to subsequent following cars that there is a vulnerable road user sharing the road.

When driving with motorcycles, it's kinda opposite, when driving I keep an rearward eye when with TACC on. Motorcycles are very appreciative and wave me a hand when I disable Autosteer because they know I took the effort to move over. I avoid disabling TACC to avoid rear ending someone of course!

Reactions: afadeev and GeoX750
Being in SoCal myself, I've seen this numerous times and its their way of warning you to give them room to pass.. keep in mind, if we are on AP, there is no way for the car to understand this and move over to give the douche bag any room. Seems to always happen to with nasty dangerous bikes that are like a small buses. I've also noticed many of them wear gang jackets like monguls or whatever they're called.. i'd leave them alone.. they're not people to mess with. If no damage, just let it go and remember to move over so they can get by. One day California will make lane splitting illegal, hopefully.

What he did is dangerous though. My sister didn’t have use of her sideview mirror for a significant amount of time. It’s hard to let this guy keep doing this with impunity.

Preface: I have another account with TMC but created this one for privacy reasons and on behalf of my sister.

She was driving on the 55 freeway today and this happened. Check the two videos. They were compressed by the hosting site, FYI.

This biker hater reached out his hand on purpose and hit my sisters right sideview mirror! When it happened, she thought he had broken off her mirror since she couldn’t see it at all for the rest of her drive home, making it really dangerous.

When she got home, turns out it was just flipped backward. She was able to flip it back forward and it looks like no exterior damage was done, thank god. Not sure what kind of interior damage this could have caused.

Can anyone use their photo/video editing skills to get his license plate? She is thinking about submitting a police report for hit and run.

Feel free to post this on other sites like Reddit to show others that we will not tolerate this kind of crap.

Streamable - free video publishing
Streamable - free video publishing
I wouldn't assume he hates Teslas specifically. Looks like he was upset that the Tesla was hugging the line (legally of course) and he couldn't get by. Some guys like this think they own the road. Maybe we should wire up high voltage to the mirrors :eek::D

Reactions: KrenGrl and afadeev
Given that she lives in Cali, where lane splitting by motorcycles is legal and is to be expected by all drivers, the obvious needs to be stated - she was hogging the right-dividing lane and blocking the motorcycle! He sent her a message not to do so again, without any damage done to the car.

I am wondering if you are a biker. There is nothing wrong with the Tesla hugging the line. She has no obligation to move over and we all know that. If I am not on AP, I usually move over if I see them coming, to allow room. I use to ride a bike and appreciated it. No excuse to slap the mirror because he thinks she should have make room. Terrible excuse, whether damage is done or not. If that happened to me, I'd go find him and slap the crap out of him.

• Love
Reactions: KrenGrl
Being in SoCal myself, I've seen this numerous times and its their way of warning you to give them room to pass.. keep in mind, if we are on AP, there is no way for the car to understand this and move over to give the douche bag any room. Seems to always happen to with nasty dangerous bikes that are like a small buses. I've also noticed many of them wear gang jackets like monguls or whatever they're called.. i'd leave them alone.. they're not people to mess with. If no damage, just let it go and remember to move over so they can get by. One day California will make lane splitting illegal, hopefully.
Maybe a smarter person that me will do that, and yes, probably a smart thing to ignore. but I am not a guy to take crap from people like that. Never have, never will. The biker should be equally aware that there might be someone crazy in the car like me and run over his butt. :D Don't make any wrong assumptions about that comment. Some people take things too literally (negative thinkers)

Regarding "Careless car drivers" as quoted by other, I am amazed that a person would be called careless when she is legally driving in the lane and minding her own business.

Last edited:
having been a biker before - your sister should leave room and share the road.
Having to share a road with careless (clueless? ) drivers who don't even think to look for bikes really puts the bike rider on the defensive all the time. Because one stupid action by a careless driver might scratch his paint but would kill the biker.
He reached out with his hand, not a fist or a boot.
No you don't have to share the road, but it costs nothing to do so, so why not?

So not a Tesla hater at all, just someone fed up of careless car drivers.

Maybe a wus (or a smarter person that me) will do that, and yes, probably a smart thing to ignore. but I am not a guy to take crap from people like that. Never have, never will. The biker should be equally aware that there might be someone crazy in the car like me and run over his butt. :D
so you'd rather kill a biker than let him ride past you?
what does sharing the road cost you that is worth that?

• Disagree
Reactions: KG M3 and KrenGrl
having been a biker before - your sister should leave room and share the road.
Having to share a road with careless (clueless? ) drivers who don't even think to look for bikes really puts the bike rider on the defensive all the time. Because one stupid action by a careless driver might scratch his paint but would kill the biker.
He reached out with his hand, not a fist or a boot.
No you don't have to share the road, but it costs nothing to do so, so why not?

So not a Tesla hater at all, just someone fed up of careless car drivers.

Motorcyclists do not have to lane split, so why do it?
That motorcyclist did not have to manipulate someone else's property, so why do it?

I share the road with bicyclists, I don't pass them when it is not safe, they don't pass me when it is not safe. A motorcyclist is not required to lane split, that is their choice. They are welcome to have their own chunk of lane, but if they are trying to take part of the lane my car is using, or presuming to have more of a right to the lane I am already in than I do, that is not sharing, that is taking.

so you'd rather kill a biker than let him ride past you?
what does sharing the road cost you that is worth that?
you are making a bad assumption on HOW a person might run over him. Accidentally by being a crazy driver on alcohol or drugs (I'm crazy in other ways), :Dbut wouldn't run over a person on purpose. I readily admit my post is not clear, but don't assume negativity. ;)
ignored.... won't see any other posts.

Last edited:
What he did is dangerous though. My sister didn’t have use of her sideview mirror for a significant amount of time.

Your sister wasn't using it anyway, as evidenced by the fact that she did not make any room for the motorcycle.
I see two people being d*cks to each other on the road. Neither one is in the clear.
Are you sure you are being objective in evaluating this situation?

It’s hard to let this guy keep doing this with impunity.

Feel free to file a police report.
Beware, that your sister will likely get a ticket for "blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider (CVC 22400)."
http://lanesplittingislegal.com/assets/docs/CHP-lane-splitting-guidelines-California.pdf

Cheers!

a

P.S.: The public plea to help stalk someone can have it's own rats nest of legal implications. I hope you thought this through!

Motorcyclists do not have to lane split, so why do it?
That motorcyclist did not have to manipulate someone else's property, so why do it?

I share the road with bicyclists, I don't pass them when it is not safe, they don't pass me when it is not safe. A motorcyclist is not required to lane split, that is their choice. They are welcome to have their own chunk of lane, but if they are trying to take part of the lane my car is using, or presuming to have more of a right to the lane I am already in than I do, that is not sharing, that is taking.
Gee, I wish I could have stated it this way so perfectly :D Ok, I'm out of here. Clearly, some folks thinks what he did is ok. Strange

Your sister wasn't using it anyway, as evidenced by the fact that she did not make any room for the motorcycle.
I see two people being d*cks to each other on the road. Neither one is in the clear.
Are you sure you are being objective in evaluating this situation?

Feel free to file a police report.
Beware, that your sister will likely get a ticket for "blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider (CVC 22400)."
http://lanesplittingislegal.com/assets/docs/CHP-lane-splitting-guidelines-California.pdf

Cheers!

a

P.S.: The public plea to help stalk someone can have it's own rats nest of legal implications. I hope you thought this through!
You don’t think she needs the sideview mirror after that happened?

Looks like you may be one of these bikers who slap people’s sideview mirrors.

Here’s a direct quote from your PDF:

When is it NOT OK to split? You should NOT lane split:
- If you can't fit.

Lane splitting is legal and is great as it reduces congestion. Works fine in the rest of the world. It's also safe as the worst type of accident you can get into on a bike is being rear-ended, causing permanent spinal damage.

Lots of Americans are crazy entitled, obvious from this thread, and feel like they are kings of the road, therefore "lane splitting should be banned since it's illegal for someone to get to their destination faster than me".

The biker is an asshole.

That said, I think when you're in the HOV/left lane on the freeway, just be courteous and share the lane with bikers by giving them a bit of room. Doesn't really hurt you and makes the drive and ride safer for everyone.

Not at all. 22400 is for actions to impede, not lack of action to allow passage. The vehicle driver was stopped when the bike passed and had been stopped since before the bike was even on camera (> 4 cars behind) The biker had a clear empty spot in the next lane they chose not to stay in. Instead, they chose to pass another car with only one hand controlling the bike so they could mess with a stationary car's mirror.

And that guide you posted is not longer posted since CHP never approved it (see link in post 23) Even if they did, it says:
- Some lanes are narrower than others, leaving little room to pass safely. If you can't fit, don't split.
If moving the mirror was required to pass, then it was not safe.