Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Stealth vs P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am going to chime in here. 2020 P3D- or a 2019 P3D+ that is discount but more $? Really concerned about the wind noise. The 2019 I drove was a lot noisier than my 2018 Volt. I have read that supposedly the 2020s are quieter but alas no white interiors to be found.

So I am going to chime in here. 2020 P3D- or a 2019 P3D+ that is discount but more $? Really concerned about the wind noise. The 2019 I drove was a lot noisier than my 2018 Volt. I have read that supposedly the 2020s are quieter but alas no white interiors to be found.
After my windshield was replaced my 2018 is pretty quiet. Shop said they think it is the glue they use. Not sure what all tesla has changed, but quieter should be better.

Also event though tesla is doing "model years" thing now I think they still continuously improve, so a late 19 is likely the same thing as a 2020 other than the 2019 is going to devalue faster due to it having an older time stamp.

I don’t think that’s true, is it? I could have sworn that may people have said that there’s no VIN differentiation between LR AWD and Performance VINs. Someone else can chime in here.
I have a stealth. The insurance agent just asked for my VIN and the insurance specs populated as performance. I don't think the VIN has specific letters/numbers indicate performance or not. I think each VIN is corresponding to car spec which indicates if it's performance.

I have a stealth. The insurance agent just asked for my VIN and the insurance specs populated as performance. I don't think the VIN has specific letters/numbers indicate performance or not. I think each VIN is corresponding to car spec which indicates if it's performance.

there's a letter in the VIN that indicates 1 motor or 2.

AWD, P3D-, and P3D+ all had the same letter.

And there's no other letters differentiating any version of P from any other or a non-P DM car.

(at least last I knew)

More details on the VIN numbers (and the fact there's only a single/dual motor designation on the 3 specifically) here-
https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/9d71d5c8-a6ff-45de-88ae-8ea1da8dd324

If your insurance company has access to more detailed vehicle info than just what the VIN codes tell them that's another story.

• Informative
Reactions: Elle_H2
My SA just emailed me after I confirmed I would take the Stealth. He answered a couple questions that I had asked as well.
It will have the 18” wheels
It will have the same 0-60 as P3D+
But it does NOT come with track mode
(this seems different than the reports I have heard.)

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But it does NOT come with track mode
(this seems different than the reports I have heard.)

This is part of Tesla employees' standard misinformation campaign. Must be the the influence of the shorts. ;)

It has Track Mode. Don't worry about it. This topic comes up every few months, insisted on by Tesla employees. They're always wrong.

It's possibly true that the top speed is lower (the claim is due to lack of a spoiler)...very hard to get any solid verification of that for obvious reasons. But it really doesn't matter, as presumably you don't plan to go 140mph.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
there's a letter in the VIN that indicates 1 motor or 2.

AWD, P3D-, and P3D+ all had the same letter.

And there's no other letters differentiating any version of P from any other or a non-P DM car.

(at least last I knew)

More details on the VIN numbers (and the fact there's only a single/dual motor designation on the 3 specifically) here-
https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/9d71d5c8-a6ff-45de-88ae-8ea1da8dd324

If your insurance company has access to more detailed vehicle info than just what the VIN codes tell them that's another story.

8th VIN digit is "C" for Model 3 Performance cars. I'm not sure when this started, but the 2020 P- cars that are currently out also have the "C" 8th digit.

Reactions: mswlogo
Used to be, but is not anymore, as the rear drive unit is different. The Performance/P3D/3P (all variants) have 980, the AWD has 990.

I don't believe AWD is different from Stealth Performance in any way but software. Now or in the past.
What Catalogs say and what a one off might have in it is no proof that Tesla doesn't arbitrarily take an AWD and enable Stealth Performance on it, which is why it's never orderable these days. They use it to clear AWD inventory.

I bet you if you decode the VIN on most Stealth and AWD they will come up the same.

I can certainly believe a Plus has a different motor part number than Stealth/AWD.

• Funny
What Catalogs say and what a one off might have in it is no proof that Tesla doesn't arbitrarily take an AWD

I mean, you are free to believe what you want of course - but we do not currently have a single example of a recent (since early 2019) AWD with a 980 motor in it. And we have many examples of recent AWDs with 990 motors. And we have never seen a Performance with a 990 motor. Including all recent Stealths that have been checked... That is all I am saying.

Stealth:

Recent Example

Another Example

AWD:

A recent example

Latest 980 I have seen

Another key piece of evidence: For 2020 models, the EPA results for the Stealth (18" Performance) and the AWD are not the same. The 18" Performance is more efficient. They are very, very likely to be different vehicles. Unlike in 2018.

Last edited:
I mean, you are free to believe what you want of course - but we do not currently have a single example of a recent (since early 2019) AWD with a 980 motor in it. And we have many examples of recent AWDs with 990 motors. And we have never seen a Performance with a 990 motor. Including all recent Stealths that have been checked... That is all I am saying.

I'll be sure to take a pic of my motor after delivery so we have more data. First thing I'll do is check that 0-60 time and check to see if track mode is selectable.

I have a stealth. I didn't see anyone mention this, but the low profile tires and potholes don't mix. I nailed a pothole with my stealth so hard the aero flew off, but the wheel was (nearly) undamaged. There was a very slight dent, but the tire maintains pressure and no vibration or any other side effects. Low profile tire would have almost certainly been destroyed.

8th VIN digit is "C" for Model 3 Performance cars. I'm not sure when this started, but the 2020 P- cars that are currently out also have the "C" 8th digit.

"recently" would have to be the answer- they were all B (as was AWD) in 2018 as evidenced in the NHTSA doc

Ah ha! recent indeed. Did more digging. The 2019 MY decoder also is A/B only.

But for 2020 it's interesting.

Here's the 2020 decoder Tesla submitted to NHTSA July 15, 2019

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c90f14e1-9234-49c6-a845-26f61bdb04e0

A for single motor. B for dual. Performance is the same as AWD. No C.

Now here's the one they submitted August 29, 2019.

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c646fbf1-8ba5-4575-af1e-f415a1131337

The new "C" for performance is there now.

Last edited: