Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Stealth vs P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, you are free to believe what you want of course - but we do not currently have a single example of a recent (since early 2019) AWD with a 980 motor in it. And we have many examples of recent AWDs with 990 motors. And we have never seen a Performance with a 990 motor. Including all recent Stealths that have been checked... That is all I am saying.

Stealth:

Recent Example

Another Example

AWD:

A recent example

Latest 980 I have seen

Another key piece of evidence: For 2020 models, the EPA results for the Stealth (18" Performance) and the AWD are not the same. The 18" Performance is more efficient. They are very, very likely to be different vehicles. Unlike in 2018.

Ok, you convinced me. I stand corrected, thanks.

Ok, you convinced me. I stand corrected, thanks.

Watch, now things will change and we'll find a Performance with a 990. ;)

I do recall there being one example where a customer took delivery of their AWD and it had to be downgraded from a Performance Stealth first. But while AWDs can always be software-limited Performance vehicles, Performance vehicles cannot in general be software unlocked AWDs anymore.

Hoping that my motor label says this...
9000.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that there are some stealths appearing available, I'm getting cold feet on pullling the trigger. I'd prefer the P3D+, (mostly for cosmetic reasons, but still. . . ) and I'm thinking a year later, I'll be able to find a stealth for a bargain, since there will be about a million M3's on the globe by then. Seems ridiculous to be that pragmatic, but I just paid off my ICE car. . .

For those looking for a stealth model 3 my SA Ryan in Austin has access to “dozens” of them slated for Texas that are being assembled right now. You can call him at the Domain Showroom or email him at. [email protected]
Please use my referral code for you purchase if it works out. Jordan55769
I just secured a White with Black today

It's 5mm lower aka .5 cm lower. (hardly noticeable)
Biggest difference is the brake color and spoiler which stand out, and the consumable tires PS4S come on the P3D+ which are quite nice. The brakes and wheels are actually heavier so the P3D- should accelerate faster. If you ever going to track the car, or just want the red brakes to stand out get the+. With the + or - you might still want aftermarket wheels, and a set of track tires, and some brake mods (at least fluid and pads).

The stance is noticeable enough that people ask why my car is so much lower than my co-workers car when they are parked next to or near each other... again, the larger wheels and slightly lower suspension fill out the well much nicer IMO. Of course it's subjective and there are surely other criteria you're considering. You really can't go wrong since the 3 and especially in P trim is such a good platform. You can always swap out parts, wheels etc over time if as your needs or desires dictate.

Reactions: WilliamG
The stance is noticeable enough that people ask why my car is so much lower than my co-workers car when they are parked next to or near each other... again, the larger wheels and slightly lower suspension fill out the well much nicer IMO. Of course it's subjective and there are surely other criteria you're considering. You really can't go wrong since the 3 and especially in P trim is such a good platform. You can always swap out parts, wheels etc over time if as your needs or desires dictate.
I think it just looks lower due to the larger wheels. I never get next to park next to the performance + guy at work though.

I wanted the acceleration of the performance but none of the other features so for me stealth was the way to go. I also like having a car that can’t be ordered and is more ‘rare’ than a performance.

I live in MN so wanted nothing to do with 20” wheels, winter tires and the hassle of swapping wheels around. The cosmetic look of the P is great but for the extra cost and hassle - not worth it, to me...

I wanted the acceleration of the performance but none of the other features so for me stealth was the way to go. I also like having a car that can’t be ordered and is more ‘rare’ than a performance.

I live in MN so wanted nothing to do with 20” wheels, winter tires and the hassle of swapping wheels around. The cosmetic look of the P is great but for the extra cost and hassle - not worth it, to me...

I lived in MN. If I had the 3P+ (like I do now), I’d have another set of wheels for the winter. But you solved that problem with the Aeros + All Seasons. Not sure I get the “rarity” argument, though. The 3P+ is far more rare! At least, to most eyes. I see so few around Seattle whereas I see soooo many Model 3s in general. Most everyone has Aeros/no spoiler etc.

You really can't see the difference in height between P3D- and P3D+, the looks are mainly the larger wheels and lower profile tires. You can always buy lowering springs for a fraction of the $6K you'd save with a stealth.

I have a P3D+ and would say 100% get the stealth, but only if it has Track Mode since that is basically the only item you can't add later yourself. You can upgrade brakes, suspension, wheels/tires all on your own with that $6K you saved ;)

Back when i ordered my car they only had Track Mode promised for the Performance package so i got that one, but wish i could've had stealth instead.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Stealth all the way. Fun to read AWD vs Performance and the usual 980 vs 990 argument if AWD was or is the same as stealth but software locked. We already have two dedicated threads to that ongoing discussion; come on guys.

if I waited to buy now, I would get stealth vs AWD. Tesla might as well have a name for this package rather than us here calling it m3p- or stealth or p-

Oh no.....are we back to debating part numbers and sh*t again?

Get the Stealth. You'll enjoy the acceleration and won't take as big of a range hit that the 20s do.

You'll have the flexibility of getting 19s or 20s as your "summer/fun" set, and keeping all-seasons or winter/snows on the 18s.

If you take it to the track regularly, or are going to...maybe get the P3D+. If it's not that big a deal to you....Stealth.

Drop all of the nonsense and noise about part numbers and "OMG, someday they MIGHT push OTA to the AWD....." Just don't fall for that. Make your decision based off what you want or need now....at the time of the decision, and not what someone on a forum heard from a CSR who doesn't know what they're talking about as far as unconfirmed rumors for future updates.

Whatever you decide....enjoy it. Don't spend your time wanting someone else to improve it. You bought what you bought because that's what you wanted to buy. If you wanted the "step-up", then you would have bought it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: iamroy
Yeah, i ordered the stealth the day they were first available. I figured i could just buy any performance or cosmetic things i wanted with the savings, and then I could get something that was much more unique. Since then it has turned out the 20s damage easily, and the rims are not as easily replaced with smaller rims, so it turned out to be a good choice (and they ended up adding track mode, which when I ordered wasn't even a thing yet). I always have winter tires, so my plan has been to put winter tires on the 18s" when the OEM tires are done, and then get some 19 or 20s wheels for summer tires.