Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me out: 55% or 70% windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up getting mine back with 70% and I am really happy with it so far. It's noticeable from the outside but not so obvious that it would be glaring to a cop. I'll try and get a good pic of it, this one makes it look way darker than it is.

Attachments

• M3tint.jpg
    M3tint.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 676
Reactions: Skione65
@skgolf91 and @Gize, do either of you wear polarized sunglasses? Can you let me know if forward visibility is affected? With polarized sunglasses on, my side window tint on my previous car (non-ceramic tint) would show swirl-like patterns that affected peripheral vision.

I'm curious to know if the straight-on view through the angled/swept windshield with the tint you described would cause the same issue. That would make windshield tint a no-go for me.

Thanks,

/TCP

View attachment 521059

Car on right has 30% ceramic tint on all side windows and rear. Front window is 70%.

legal in AZ? the installer i talked to said 30% is max legal for front. Limo for back ok.. So I went with 30% to be uniform. I might do windshield once I replace (got a crack already) I imagine it's easier to spray the windshield with ceramic tint when it's replaced too? Does Tesla offer that option?

I hear ya re: heat. It got up to 150! with the windows up last summer till I turned on cabin overheat. I'm hoping the vent windows makes a difference+30 % tint.

Last edited:
@skgolf91 and @Gize, do either of you wear polarized sunglasses? Can you let me know if forward visibility is affected? With polarized sunglasses on, my side window tint on my previous car (non-ceramic tint) would show swirl-like patterns that affected peripheral vision.

I'm curious to know if the straight-on view through the angled/swept windshield with the tint you described would cause the same issue. That would make windshield tint a no-go for me.

Thanks,

/TCP

I like polarized glasses too and went with 30% film. no swirls

Last edited:

Thanks,

/TCP

TCpilot, sorry I just saw this. I know exactly what you are talking about as I have had cars and tint where that shows up. I do wear polarized glasses almost every moment I am in my car. I don't remember seeing that with my new ceramic tint, but its dark right now and I don't want to tell you for sure till I check while I am thinking about it and can tell you definitively. I will check tomorrow and report back!

20200324_100512.jpg

Thanks,

/TCP

Happy to report, crystal clear with polarized glasses! I don't even notice the tint on the windshield from the inside view, looks normal/ no or very minimal tint effect.
20200324_100452.jpg
20200324_100452.jpg
Posting a couple images of 70% as well, hopefully the reflection doesn't stop ya from getting a good idea.

I like polarized glasses too and went with 30% film. no swirls

View attachment 525152

Happy to report, crystal clear with polarized glasses! I don't even notice the tint on the windshield from the inside view, looks normal/ no or very minimal tint effect.

Awesome, thanks @Gize & @vickh for the replies! I use a Weathertech windshield sunshade while parked (and have in every car I've owned since Weathertech started selling them) but to have a heat-rejection option for the M3P while driving would be really nice. Especially since there's about an acre of windshield!

Cheers,

/TCP

Reactions: vickh
Generally if a cop wants to pull you over for tints, it'll be for your front 2 windows, not the windshield. I'm tinted 70% windshield, 30% front windows, and 5% back windows, roof, and back window. I actually got pulled over in my Model 3 (not for my tint) and ended up getting a warning for the traffic violation but did get a fix it ticket for my tint. Took off my front 2 window tints, left the windshield tint on, and was able to get the ticket written off by CHP. Neither the initial officer or the one at the CHP office noticed the tint on the windshield. If heat reduction is the biggest concern, I'd definitely recommend at least getting the roof glass done as dark as possible.

I actually got pulled over in my Model 3 (not for my tint) and ended up getting a warning for the traffic violation but did get a fix it ticket for my tint. Took off my front 2 window tints, left the windshield tint on, and was able to get the ticket written off by CHP. Neither the initial officer or the one at the CHP office noticed the tint on the windshield.

I've been pulled over by CHP a number of times in the past year (all of them for driving in the HOV lane where they didn't see my sticker on the rear bumper - 530e that looked like a M5). Each time they didn't care about the side tint on my car (30% all around) or the windshield tint (70%), but instead only cared about not having my front plate on the car. Ironically, they also never said anything about only having 1 HOV sticker on my, instead of all 4.

That said, there's a ton of Model 3's driving around the LA area with no front plates and dark tinted windows. I never see one pulled over unless they're driving erratically and deserves a ticket, or if driving on the Express Lanes (toll roads on the 10 & 110 freeways), where the HOV stickers don't matter there so if you're driving solo, then you need to set your transponder to the correct number of people in your car. I've gotten a ticket for that.

So from what I've learned, if you don't want cop in CA hassling you for tint, just leave your front plate off so they'll pay more attention to that and ticket you for it (same cost fix-it ticket that can be written off, only you won't have to strip your window tint off and can easily pop a front plate bracket back on) :cool:

I've never liked tint on my cars, and my cars will never have it. I don't like the look of tint on other cars, especially when they go all extreme with it. I don't even know the percentages, but from reading this topic, it sounds like the number is the percentage of light that gets through, which is to say that 30% would look a lot darker than 70% for example.