Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Tesla Peers! Contemplating Trading/Selling 10 Day Old Model 3 AWD for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please talk me out of this crazy idea...
I've been losing sleep over this dumb issue.
Bought the White Pearl LR AWD with 19 inch sports10 days ago, has about 600 miles on it. Love the car but a part of me is calling for the performance.
Haven't driven the Performance b/c I'm afraid I'll be too hooked.
Tesla offered a 45K for trade in, I paid 55K :(
Waiting for a quote from Carvana but thinking i'm going to be hosed either way.
I know i know i should've just bought it from the start. Please talk me out of this...
I dont want to live with regret but the financial difference...
ARGH

Please talk me out of this crazy idea...
I've been losing sleep over this dumb issue.
Bought the White Pearl LR AWD with 19 inch sports10 days ago, has about 600 miles on it. Love the car but a part of me is calling for the performance.
Haven't driven the Performance b/c I'm afraid I'll be too hooked.
Tesla offered a 45K for trade in, I paid 55K :(
Waiting for a quote from Carvana but thinking i'm going to be hosed either way.
I know i know i should've just bought it from the start. Please talk me out of this...
I dont want to live with regret but the financial difference...
ARGH
You’ve already got one of the best and fastest vehicles on the planet, most would be satisfied...

I have had my stealth performance for a few weeks now and as much as I love the car, I wouldn’t suggest you trade. Acceleration is awesome, but how often do you really use all of it?

If you want track mode, however...

Don’t do it. You’ll get used to the performance acceleration too. It’s a never ending cycle...I bought a sleeper 3p and am always curious how much faster a p100d or raven performance model s is (not that I could afford either yet).

Reactions: Big Earl
I have had my stealth performance for a few weeks now and as much as I love the car, I wouldn’t suggest you trade. Acceleration is awesome, but how often do you really use all of it?
I'd agree. I've only had mine a week and the accell is great, definitely worth the 2700 or whatever it was to go from a LR to a P3D- but that alone isnt reason enough to loose 10k on your trade and then the price increase to a performance. I'm sure in most real world situations the LR feels just as fast, I've thought about this a couple times now and had it not been for the P3D-, I think I'd be kicking myself if I spent the extra 10k on a performance 3 with the pup over an LR.

Yea, no doubt the flat out 0-60 acceleration is a BLAST and I often wish I had it too, but.......99% of the time I accelerate and pass anyone anytime I need to not using all of the AWD ability. The EV instant torque just WORKS for almost all real wold driving situations.

For the $14,000 difference the OP would pay they can rent a SP100D once a week and get MORE flat out acceleration and still have a "ton" of money left over.

Don’t do it. You’ll get used to the performance acceleration too. It’s a never ending cycle...I bought a sleeper 3p and am always curious how much faster a p100d or raven performance model s is (not that I could afford either yet).

That argument isn’t true for me. Not even remotely interested in a P100DL. Too big, too boaty, outdated interior and screen layout etc, and too big to fit in my garage, too.

In any case, it all depends on how much money you have lying around whether upgrading to the P model is worth it.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Also...you don't have to limit your selling opportunities to a Tesla trade or Carvana. You could likely sell it yourself pretty easily and recoup several thousand dollars more than Tesla or Carvana are offering. Just place a for sale ad on this site...or Cargurus. Price it correctly and you'll sell it in less than a week.

If this was an SAT problem, my answer would be there is insufficient data to answer the question.

We do not know on a relative scale, how much $10K really means to the OP.

We also do not know how much value OP places on destroying with certainty any M3, C63AMG, Corvette etc off the line.

The Model 3 Performance will last longer than most marriages, and it cost a lot more than $10K when those don’t work out.

$10K divided over 4 years also is not that horrible for frivolous spending at Tesla scale. Tesla scale is cars over six figures when fully loaded.

Conventional wisdom makes the answer seem obvious but the wisdom is less obvious when one approaches the problem unconventionally. :)

I've owned an AWD and now drive a P3D-

Most of the time you aren't going to feel a difference between the two, you aren't going to punch it all the time. I don't think its worth $10k+ to experience the times where it will feel different. That being said...accelerating in a Performance is just another beast, its a different feeling in the stomach. It also takes MUCH more restraint to drive :)

I think the offer from Tesla is very low for your AWD. If you can find $50k then I think you are getting in the ballpark of getting value for your money.

Another option if you are taking the $45k: Call around for a P3D-, its only $2k more than a new AWD. I picked one up three days ago, and at the time I ordered there were two others available.

Reactions: John S.