Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help understanding the numerous trims so I can purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its much closer in size and handling than a model S is. yes.

Yeah, I don't buy that. Not for a second. And it's also extremely subjective. The OP was confused about the MS trim levels, so I was clearing that up for him. I suggested he find a P85D to test drive and make his own determination. He said himself that 0-60 was the primary criteria, not "handling like my vette".

so that's why I am here asking about which car has the 4.x 0-60.

He can get a 2.8s or 3.2s 0-60 for less than $50k. Why not at least entertain that possibility instead of discounting it out of hand? What's wrong with just giving more options for him to consider?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: arghx7
You are going on a rant because I have the opinion that happens to be different than yours regarding how model S drives? No one said your opinion was invalid, I just said that I didnt think he would be happy with a model S as a daily coming from a vette. Im not allowed to have an opinion? You have a different one, thats fine, but that doesnt discount either one of our opinions.

Neither one of us is buying it as you correctly point out, and it would seem to me that its fine for both of us to have different opinions on this. I agree its subjective, but I should be allowed to have an opinion just like anyone else.

Hello my friends,

I've been curious about Tesla for a while, drove my buddy's standard Model 3 was boring, drove my other friend's 2021 Dual Motor and it's fast, I became more interested when I learned with $2000 I can unlock more performance and shave 0.5 seconds off 0-60, so here we are, I always like to buy used, the problem I came into is there are so much different trims online, standard, standard+, mid range, long range, RWD, AWD etc ....
I don't care about all that, which one has 4.3 0-60 times or less? that's what I need to know so I can exclusively look for it, was this 0-60 time even available on 2017 models? when it becomes available and on which models the $2K software upgrade is available?

dealers list tesla just like how they list other cars, no mention of battery size or how many miles per charge.

I appreciate any input from you.

Regards,

Autotrader - page unavailable

Vegas. Used. 10K miles. 2020 with Acceleration Boost for $47,000. Or buy new for basically same price and more range and heat pump and few other improvements. Or one will pop up for less in the next few months

If having a hard time with options/trims with Tesla then you will NEVER stand a chance to configure a Porsche.:eek:o_O:D

I've been in the 911 configurator, it's a headache, I've never been able to finish my build :D

To kinda expand on what JJ said about there not being a huge price difference between a used and new Model 3...

Not only is that correct, but IMO, the better deal is the (and I can't believe I'm saying this) new car. For not much more than a good used Model 3, you can get a brand new one, with all of the recent refreshes included. Once again, IMO, this is a great value. All of the things that have been "refreshed" on the car add up to a lot of dollar value, making the new Model 3 the best "bang for the buck." Also, you'll be getting all of the new car warranty, not just what remains on a used car.

My used "Stealth" performance Model 3 is worth so much, I'm actually considering selling it to buy a new Performance Model 3 with all of the refresh goodies.

I like to get maximum value for my dollar (who doesn't, really), and oddly enough that means that (right now, at least) the new Model 3 is the better value.

I'm a bit shocked that they were able to do all of the refresh work on the Model 3 without any significant price increases. Yeah, I know that the stealth Performance Model 3 went up in price, but technically that was before the refresh.

If I was a value shopper (and I am : ) ) and in the market for a Long Range AWD Model 3, I'd purchase new as of now.

I am not aware of the stealth version, very interesting, I'll see the inventory, I am sure It would be very hard to find, where are you located, how much asking for yours? probably little below the performance lol.

As a fellow Stealth Performance owner I can confirm. I love this car! I don't know if there are better deals now or not but I picked mine up in June from Tesla. It was 6 months old and I paid $51K.

That's a good deal, save the $5k and get something very fast.

Long Range AWD with the $2,000 power-up option comes close to being a stealth performance. No Track Mode, though.

You will likely save on tickets. The car doesn’t catch a law enforcement officer’s eye the way your current ride, or a blinged-out 3 Performance would.

My Corvette is Red, so it's an everything magnet, Police, Chicks, Haters =)), not really interested in the track mode, it's just that life is too short to drive slow cars, $6k difference between performance and LR AWD with $2k option.

I just bought a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with Performance Boost for $36100. Would have been $49990 new. I agree they don't depreciate as much as other brands but that was enough of a difference for me to be ok with not getting the refresh features for now, so I wouldn't discount a used model off-hand if you can get the right deal.

That's a great saving! I'll take it at that price! what's the 0-60 on yours? and range? $14k discount is a great deal for me, just for my info, what was the mileage on yours?

It's not that confusing. The "number" is just (roughly) the battery size in kWh -- i.e. range. The "P" would mean it's a Performance model (P85, P85+, P85D, P90D, P100D). The "D" just means AWD instead of RWD. The options across the years changed somewhat, but not all that much. After 2015, most options became standard (cold weather, ultra hi-fi, sunroof, etc).

If your budget in in the $40s, I'd strongly recommend looking at a 2014 or 2015 P85D. You can find P85D models built between Dec 2014 and April 2015 (inclusive) that have the Performance+ suspension (think BMW M5 or AMG handling). A stock P85D would give you a 3.2s 0-60. A rare find is a P85D that had the Ludicrous upgrade performed which improves the 0-60 to 2.8s.

See: Tesla Motors delivers 'ludicrous speed upgrade' for Model S P85D - ExtremeTech

I have a 2014 P85D+ which I absolutely love. My other car is an BMW E39 M5 and guess which car I drive more?

If you don't like the old-style Model S nosecone, look for a P90D (with or without Ludicrous) with the facelift/refreshed front end.

Good luck!

Thank you for your great help over PM, your website was very handy, I excluded Model S because of the price is out of my budget, I personally prefer Model S over Model 3 but again I am not buying any car with 5 seconds 0-60, I appreciate the one you sent me, I'll see what I find on the P85Ds.

If OP daily drives a 'vette, its unlikely they would be happy daily driving a model S unless they were looking for something pretty different.

wouldn't mind a Model S, I prefer it over Model 3, my restriction is the price but Hank mentioned the P85D which is a car I added to my list, I don't track my Corvette even though it's track ready from the factory but it's nice to do those 30 mph exists at 75 mph without worrying about anything.

Autotrader - page unavailable

Vegas. Used. 10K miles. 2020 with Acceleration Boost for $47,000. Or buy new for basically same price and more range and heat pump and few other improvements. Or one will pop up for less in the next few months

This is one is expensive,buying new is better, if you consider CA $1500 clean car incentive on the Model 3, the difference is only $2500.

Thank you guys for all your help, I have an appointment tomorrow to drive Model S and S performance at the local Tesla store, they didn't have M3 Performance or the boosted edition, I wanna get a feeling of the S as I've never driven it before.

Things are certainly clearer now for me, the P85D Model S is appealing, If I buy used it has to be good savings over new which seems like a unicorn on M3.

Another question I have, do all Teslas get the latest software updates or support stops at some point for example? does 2015 Model S get the same software updates like the newer model?

I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: Phlier
Thank you guys for all your help, I have an appointment tomorrow to drive Model S and S performance at the local Tesla store, they didn't have M3 Performance or the boosted edition, I wanna get a feeling of the S as I've never driven it before.

Things are certainly clearer now for me, the P85D Model S is appealing, If I buy used it has to be good savings over new which seems like a unicorn on M3.

Another question I have, do all Teslas get the latest software updates or support stops at some point for example? does 2015 Model S get the same software updates like the newer model?

I'll keep you updated.

Some features require the car have certain hardware. A 2015 model s will usually not have the most up to date MCU or autopilot computer unless someone paid to update it (which they would almost assuredly say, if they did so). The short answer is, unless the car has been updated by tesla to the latest autopilot computer, and MCU, it wont have all the same features.

What would be missing is mostly autopilot stuff, enhanced display, and software features you may or may not care about.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier

All Teslas do get the latest firmware updates for their model/trim (some updates are for specific options, so older cars might not get those specific releases, but they are kept up to date with all the other fleet-wide enhancements, like 'fart mode' :rolleyes:)

But buying an older car would have one significant difference in the Autopilot software. The hardware for AP1 was installed in the Model S and X vehicles from October 2014 to October 2016. Anything after that is Tesla developed AP2.x.

AP1 (Mobile-eye based and no longer updated) gives you auto-lane-keeping and auto-lane-changing (driver triggered), traffic aware cruise control, parking assist, and "garage" summon (basically a parlor trick more than anything else).

AP2+ (depending on software) is capable of much more -- navigate on autopilot, auto-lane changing, stop light stop/start, and eventually "Full Self Driving". So if full autopilot capability and future AP development is important, then just keep this in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You can buy that red line for around $10, so no.

The best is to look at the car's center screen to see what it has.
@MoparGuy To expand a bit on the quoted post...

If you look at the car's information screen, and there is a red underline, you are guaranteed to be looking at a Performance Model 3.

IMO, you'd be better off taking the small acceleration performance hit by purchasing a newer Performance Model 3 over the 5 year old Model S P85D. I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like listing out all the reasons right now, but if you think about it a bit, I'm sure you'll figure them out for yourself. ;)

Best of luck to you, and we would appreciate you letting us know what you decide! :D

Edit: forgot to add... when you're on the forums, you'll often see the "Stealth" Model 3 Performance referred to as "P3D-" (like in my signature).

I am not aware of the stealth version, very interesting, I'll see the inventory, I am sure It would be very hard to find, where are you located, how much asking for yours? probably little below the performance lol.
I'm 135 miles north east of Las Vegas off of Interstate 15 in the little town of St. George, Utah. Not really all that far from San Diego, really... about 500 miles.

If you happen to find yourself in my area, let me know, and I'll take you for a ride... although as of right now, The Wife says I can't sell her baby. :( Probably for the best, as I have 8 levels of my spine fused, and I'm not sure I could handle the Performance Model 3's suspension; the standard suspension is about as firm as I can take!

@MoparGuy An attempt to make this a bit easier....

You can think of a "Stealth" Performance Model 3 as being a LR AWD Model 3 with track mode and the acceleration of the Performance Model 3. Other than that, there aren't really any differences between the LR AWD Model 3 and the Stealth Performance.

Moving up to the full on Performance Model 3 gets you better brakes, a tighter suspension, a spoiler, metal brake and accelerator pedals. There are probably a few other minor differences that I can't think of right now, but that's the majority of them.

As a couple others of stated, I'd hunt relentlessly for the only model that has actually had an *increase* in MSRP the last year or two and is the most rare model as well.... and the model that offers zero compromises (best performance, best range, best practicality). Patience will pay off, find yourself a stealth performance.

Thanks for the advice, I am looking, I am finding 2018 Model 3 performance for $46K with about 15K miles, it's not bad considering the savings, I'd get that over a stealth, those are going for more than that.

@MoparGuy An attempt to make this a bit easier....

You can think of a "Stealth" Performance Model 3 as being a LR AWD Model 3 with track mode and the acceleration of the Performance Model 3. Other than that, there aren't really any differences between the LR AWD Model 3 and the Stealth Performance.

Moving up to the full on Performance Model 3 gets you better brakes, a tighter suspension, a spoiler, metal brake and accelerator pedals. There are probably a few other minor differences that I can't think of right now, but that's the majority of them.

Got it, thinks are clearer now, but stealth cars are expensive, on the used market they are about the same price as the Performance, I'd get a Performance for $1k more.