Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with charging flap please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Available from UK "parts"

You long-press the "boot" button on the fob, holding it near the charge port, to stop the charge and release the cable.

But ... my wife's Fob is buried in the bottom of her handbag so not a lot better than clambering into the car ...

Button on the charger plug/wand may be preferable, however only works on the "home" one of course, whereas Fob works anywhere. Tesla charger has this (same as Supercharger), and there are 3rd party after-market add-ons, but discussion here has been a bit so-so on whether they are the mutt's nuts

Does that mean if you ever unlock a Leaf, during charging, that it stops charging? 'coz if so i'd hate that :) First time I had to get something from the car mid-charge, and thereby aborted the charge, the chance of me realising the consequences and restarting the charge would be zilch. I'm probably a sample-size of one on that venn diagram overlap though!
No it keeps charging but unlocks the cable so you can pull it off if you want. It is sensible unlike Tesla!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If I have my phone with me and Bluethooth on,

- then I just have to press on the plug button on the top to open the door, so I can then put the plug into the receptacle,

- or when the car is plugged I can just press the plug button to release the plug.​

I don't see the need to buy a key fob or to use the app to open the plug door or release the plug.
Not sure what you mean by Plug Button. I don't have it on my car? Maybe you mean the cable but I don't have that sort of cable. It is a pod point Tethered unit which I have had for 3 years charging my passage gte advance

Tesla Remote app and Siri Shortcuts does it for me. I have one that opens the froot and unlocks the charge port.
Is this the £20 app on the App Store? Jeez.

It hadn’t even occurred to me that unlocking the car wouldn’t stop the charge and unlock the charge cable, as that’s what happens on my i3 and it Just Works.

I’ve got a tethered Andersen charger so I presume I’m going to have this problem too.

Yes. I was originally trying to find ways of doing it all from the Apple Watch. The complications are unreliable in my experience.

The idea of using it in conjunction with Shortcuts was given to me by a contributor here, and it has made the app cost well worth it for me.

I’ve never experienced a re-lock, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen. As I walk to the door, I just say: ‘hey Siri, unlock the charge port’ and I can tug the cable out by the time I get to the car. It has been very reliable. I also have one to turn climate on or defrost the car depending on temperature. I use that about 30min before departure to precondition battery and reduce regen dots.

Not got my car yet but have a non Tesla tethered charger so reading this with interest. The manual says it should unlock just when you unlock the car (see highlighted in screenshot) - I take it this is not the real world observed behaviour?

Attachments

• AFA040A0-FFAD-4489-84CF-247C04BEBBA6.jpeg
    AFA040A0-FFAD-4489-84CF-247C04BEBBA6.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
It's an app which can read NFC tags (sorry, I previously said RFID) and do things according to how it is programmed to respond to that particular tag. There is a specific plugin for Tesla, with a list of tasks it can do.

Frugal Tesla Guy on YouTube uses NFC tags, and has done a brief video. There are also loads of videos about Tasker on YouTube.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tattersky