Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with charging flap please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.
I got model 3 long range last week. I have been charging it at home through a 7kw tethered pod point type 2 charger over night.
However, when I try to unplug it in the morning, having unlocked the car, it does not unlock the cable and I have to unlock it either from the car screen menu or through my phone app. Pain in the neck.
I would have though, similar to my Nissan Leaf, it would have released the lock on the cable, once the car was unlocked.
I have looked and looked and there are no options on the menu.
I even asked the folks in Edinburgh tesla service centre and they did not know!
Can someone please tell me if it is suppose to be like this or if there is a problem with this car?
Thank you
S
Definitely meant to be like that, but agree - a pain. What I find even more of a pain is arriving at a charge point, pop the frunk and chargeport flap from the screen in car and by the time I have retrieved the charging cable the flap has shut again. Give me a minute to get the cable out and plugged in for f sake!

Definitely meant to be like that, but agree - a pain. What I find even more of a pain is arriving at a charge point, pop the frunk and chargeport flap from the screen in car and by the time I have retrieved the charging cable the flap has shut again. Give me a minute to get the cable out and plugged in for f sake!
The answer here is to open the charge port by pressing the bottom of the charge port door, once you’ve got your cable at the ready.

Under what circumstances does the charge port auto close? When I’ve looked at demonstrator M3s and opened the charge port, I’ve always then closed it by hand. This required a little (but not excessive) force, you could feel a little resistance.

I always thought to myself that it looks like a pretty flimsy mechanism for me to be comfortable to do that daily, given the resistance it had. It felt “wrong”.

I’ve since found out, only yesterday in fact, that it auto closes and that is presumably the correct way for it to function.

I guess my question is - is this something I have to actively think about when unplugging in the morning? As in will I have to manually close it via the app/screen or will it just know to close automatically after a few seconds, when I engage drive or whatever?

I am finding Tesla is a bit like Apple...very restrictive in its approach. It is either their way or no way. It would have been good for them to use Android infrastructure so all the existing apps could have simply run on the system. So much easier if we could have used apps like Waze, calendars in different forms. Email and etc.

Under what circumstances does the charge port auto close? When I’ve looked at demonstrator M3s and opened the charge port, I’ve always then closed it by hand. This required a little (but not excessive) force, you could feel a little resistance.

I always thought to myself that it looks like a pretty flimsy mechanism for me to be comfortable to do that daily, given the resistance it had. It felt “wrong”.

I’ve since found out, only yesterday in fact, that it auto closes and that is presumably the correct way for it to function.

I guess my question is - is this something I have to actively think about when unplugging in the morning? As in will I have to manually close it via the app/screen or will it just know to close automatically after a few seconds, when I engage drive or whatever?
We were told during our handover specifically not to push it down manually as this will eventually damage the mechanism.
I have to say I’ve not found the charge port an issue (opening or closing) at all in my first 3 days of ownership. I don’t have a Tesla charger either.

Reactions: Jeeves and Roy W.