Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filters without PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in UK price of the upgrade is £850 or $1000ish.

I've gone ahead and asked the DS to order the filter and have it fitted to our X when it's delivered some time in March.

I was aware the filter itself is only about $200, but the only part of the PUP I really wanted was t he HEPA filter and when you add it up £850 is 1% of the final invoice price which I'm certainly not going to sleep over.

Seems like you could just use something like this instead of glue and then remove it for the replacement :D

mdi-freier-montageschaum-aufmacher.jpg

I'm still not too clear on this, and the local DS sales did not help either

I currently have a non-PUP X75D

- when i have the HEPA filter installed, will it immediately have an effect on cabin air or do I have to turn on bioweapon defense mode to active it?
- is there any disadvantage in not keeping the bio mode on?
- what exactly does the bio mode do? just exert positive pressure within the cabin?

I'm still not too clear on this, and the local DS sales did not help either

I currently have a non-PUP X75D

- when i have the HEPA filter installed, will it immediately have an effect on cabin air or do I have to turn on bioweapon defense mode to active it?
- is there any disadvantage in not keeping the bio mode on?
- what exactly does the bio mode do? just exert positive pressure within the cabin?

As I understand it, the Bio filters apply to all air drawn in from outside through the HVAC system at all times on Bio equipped cars.

Bio is loud, and presumably will accelerate filter clogging and consume additional energy (to drive the fan on high all the time) - and 90%+ of the time, you won't notice a difference inside the cabin between having it on and off on a Bio equipped car (because of the above item.) I never smell anything in the car, unless I bring it in with me.

Bio mode switches to 100% outside air and turns the fan up high and develops a positive pressure inside the car to force all leaks through the seals to move outwards. We aren't aware of it doing anything else so far.

Reactions: MXWing
As I understand it, the Bio filters apply to all air drawn in from outside through the HVAC system at all times on Bio equipped cars.

Bio is loud, and presumably will accelerate filter clogging and consume additional energy (to drive the fan on high all the time) - and 90%+ of the time, you won't notice a difference inside the cabin between having it on and off on a Bio equipped car (because of the above item.) I never smell anything in the car, unless I bring it in with me.

Bio mode switches to 100% outside air and turns the fan up high and develops a positive pressure inside the car to force all leaks through the seals to move outwards. We aren't aware of it doing anything else so far.

I agree with all the above since all we know is

1 - Tesla sticks a filter in the empty box.
2 - Tesla enables a one push button that turns up the fan and pulls in outside air.

I agree with all the above since all we know is

1 - Tesla sticks a filter in the empty box.
2 - Tesla enables a one push button that turns up the fan and pulls in outside air.

At least two and possibly three filters - though the activated carbon ones might replace the standard filter in the other location (guessing, but it'd be an efficient way to do it.)

You might notice the Tesla packing tape in the unboxing of the filter at the start of my video. It's the genuine Tesla HEPA filter and not the one you link to on eBay. The eBay filter is just the element to fit inside your existing empty HEPA shell and not a complete filter including housing.

In Perth we have a healthy Tesla "fleet" but our nearest Tesla service centre is still over 3400kms away in Melbourne. That is where I ordered from and Tesla delivered to my door, overnight, gratus, which is service plus given the distance. We do have a local hire Tesla service Tech (James) and are hoping for an early new year announcement on our Service Centre and Perth City Supercharger location, given Tesla has a pin drop for such here: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus#...49999997,d?search=supercharger&name=Australia

@Jays200
The non-PUP upgrade package hasn't been available for many months, so I'm not sure how you got Tesla to sell you one, even if it's just a filter/housing and no installation. I'm trying to buy one but so far no luck. I'll give my SC a call to see if they will sell one.

I had the same issue over here with the 2" square receiver. I found a service centre in Utah ;) that was prepared to sell me one and had a family member pick it up and post it on to Australia. We only get the stupid European swan neck hitch in Aus.

@Jays200
The non-PUP upgrade package hasn't been available for many months, so I'm not sure how you got Tesla to sell you one, even if it's just a filter/housing and no installation. I'm trying to buy one but so far no luck. I'll give my SC a call to see if they will sell one.

Took me 4 calls. Eventually got one by talking with parts dept. Good luck, pm me if any questions or want more details.