Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filters without PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually such a part (like the big filter) has to mount in a matching air duct. If you didn't order the HEPA filter feature with the car, my guess would be that the big air duct needed for the big filter is not going to be there; it will have a different (smaller) air duct. So I don't imagine you can simply buy the HEPA filter and just throw it in there. Or can you(??) - that would be kind of unexpected...
The size of the duct is dependent on much air you want to move, which is the same, PUP of non-PUP. The more filtration you want to accomplish given a certain air flow determines the area of filtration in the filter, the reason the HEPA filter is so large. The ducts and fans are going to be the same PUP or non-PUP. Tesla puts in the wiring and harnesses for the ambient LEDs in the PUP whether you get the PUP or not. Do you think they would be putting in different duct sizes for the PUP models? I would guess that the filters installed in the non-PUP units has less surface area, since it is filtering less and so provides the same resistance as the HEPA, so the same fans and duct do the work for either configuration. The biofilter function is done solely in software, which is another hallmark of how Tesla adds value.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
The size of the duct is dependent on much air you want to move, which is the same, PUP of non-PUP. The more filtration you want to accomplish given a certain air flow determines the area of filtration in the filter, the reason the HEPA filter is so large. The ducts and fans are going to be the same PUP or non-PUP. Tesla puts in the wiring and harnesses for the ambient LEDs in the PUP whether you get the PUP or not. Do you think they would be putting in different duct sizes for the PUP models? I would guess that the filters installed in the non-PUP units has less surface area, since it is filtering less and so provides the same resistance as the HEPA, so the same fans and duct do the work for either configuration. The biofilter function is done solely in software, which is another hallmark of how Tesla adds value.
Maybe my use of the term "duct" is unclear. I'm just saying that the air filter (be it big or small) has to mount in/on something that holds it in place and interfaces it to the air handling system. If a given vehicle will accommodate both the standard filter and the HEPA filter, it means that Tesla is using the same part (that the filter(s) mount in) for both the HEPA and standard case. They may be doing this (I don't know) but it would deviate from the usual practice of putting just the parts in the car required for the accessory package the customer has ordered. Otherwise, they are putting un-needed parts (or an unnecessarily large part) into a non-HEPA car; this is called Overproduction - one of the Toyota Production System's Seven forms of Waste.

I would have to assume all outside air goes through the filter box and thus the hepa filter. So adding a hepa filter would help. There must be a filter in there of some sort on the non hepa models.

Bio-weapons defense pulls extra air through from outside to pressurize the cabin. Keeping non-filtered air from comping through any leaks. Effectively, I believe all it really does is set the fan to 15. This, of course, is just speculation based on reading the description.

I am curious if the recirculation path also goes through the HEPA filter.

Edit: Looking at the filter box photo in the other thread. Unless there is some sort of cover and additional ducting not shown, there is no path through the hepa filter in recirculation mode (which is fine, and typical for most cars). The higher pressure would hopefully push out internally generated bio-weapons if necessary.

It also appears that all air would go through that monster filter, so everyone should benefit anytime using outside air setting.

The other obvious thing to do is close or partly block the normal cabin exhaust at the rear to help drive the pressure up; I'm not sure if Bioweapon does that or not.

Tesla have now made it possible to get the Hepa filter to Model X even if you don't order PUP. It cost $750

Tesla — Enhanced Air Quality Package

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I guess it fits with Tesla's philosophy of making everything safety related available on all cars (not your typical definition of safety equipment, but that's how Elon pitched it at the X unveiling, extending lives in places with lots of pollution.)

Tesla have now made it possible to get the Hepa filter to Model X even if you don't order PUP. It cost $750

Tesla — Enhanced Air Quality Package

That's cool. Only question is how much does it cost to replace the filter and is the replacement included in the service plans?

One more thing that is BULL

Sales tax on the ENTIRE amount. Most of this is labor so it should not be taxable.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jgrgnt
That's cool. Only question is how much does it cost to replace the filter and is the replacement included in the service plans?

One more thing that is BULL

Sales tax on the ENTIRE amount. Most of this is labor so it should not be taxable.

Some idiot likes paying extra taxes apparantly.
Labor and software sales is not taxable (in CA) at least.

Anyone know if Tesla is willing to add the HEPA filter to non-PUP without the bioweapon defense mode? If that was an option, I might take that over the full package, not sure how often I'd really be turning on the bioweapon defense mode. But would love all the air coming through the intake to go through a HEPA filter, that was the only thing with PUP I was interested in (my X is non-pup).

Anyone know if Tesla is willing to add the HEPA filter to non-PUP without the bioweapon defense mode? If that was an option, I might take that over the full package, not sure how often I'd really be turning on the bioweapon defense mode. But would love all the air coming through the intake to go through a HEPA filter, that was the only thing with PUP I was interested in (my X is non-pup).
dropped mine off today hes suppose to be letting me know

I highly doubt you can get a service tech to install it without the full paid for option.

We have discussed to see if the filter can be bought individually but no reports of success. I don't think we are overly concerned about warranty voiding because it would be just sticking a filter in the big box hole.

All things considered, it's not a horrible price point. It could be worse at 1000+ and 500 would have been too low for their efforts/opportunity costs.

I highly doubt you can get a service tech to install it without the full paid for option.

We have discussed to see if the filter can be bought individually but no reports of success. I don't think we are overly concerned about warranty voiding because it would be just sticking a filter in the big box hole.

All things considered, it's not a horrible price point. It could be worse at 1000+ and 500 would have been too low for their efforts/opportunity costs.

Yeah, I'm with you there. If I'm being honest to Tesla, if they offered this as an option before I ordered the car I would definitely have selected it at this same price.

Ok got it back today.. service shops dont know how to actually biull for the upgrade they were not given any notice. Orginally i just wanted the filter and ended up with the whole retrofit. that being said .. They glue the filter into the box thats already present ( yes glue) and then switch in on software side. theres a pretty good markup in there as we know the filter only cost 200 bucks. but all told its done and done

Ok got it back today.. service shops dont know how to actually biull for the upgrade they were not given any notice. Orginally i just wanted the filter and ended up with the whole retrofit. that being said .. They glue the filter into the box thats already present ( yes glue) and then switch in on software side. theres a pretty good markup in there as we know the filter only cost 200 bucks. but all told its done and done

This is very informative. Do you know when/how the filter is replaced? I hope it's done during the prepaid annual visits.

You confirmed that Bio Defense is just something like turning recirculation to On and the fan speed to maximum.

The profit margin is huge as they made markup already on just the filter itself.

Can't blame them though, they need to make profits.

from how it was told to me They replace the whole hood (filter box) and filter when it becomes time. I have no idea if its included in prepaid visits ( i dont have that) and it does NOT turn on re-circulation it cranks up the fan speed to 9 and pulls in fresh air

from how it was told to me They replace the whole hood (filter box) and filter when it becomes time. I have no idea if its included in prepaid visits ( i dont have that) and it does NOT turn on re-circulation it cranks up the fan speed to 9 and pulls in fresh air

Right. So realistically - with the HEPA Filter Installed - Air set to outside and Fan speed to 9 = Bio Defense Mode

Strong marketing gimmick for a $200 filter. :D

So worst case going forward, to replace the thing it would be $200 + labor?

It'd be good to know these numbers.

Thanks for sharing. Your the first person I've heard of that went through the upgrade.