Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here are some missing features that Tesla should have!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I friend of mine had just left his 2 small kids at the kindergarden, drove out on the freeway. A car in front of him hit the brakes and his tesla did the same, without considering how fast the Mercedes behind him was going. The Mercedes slamed into his Model S - tototaling the Mercedes and leaving my friend with wiplash and spinal and uper neck injury. Had his kids been ni the back seat it would have been catastrofic. To be rearended is much more dangerous that a front impact as you can most of the time brase your self for impact.
Much of the features is hightech, but the most important pices is missing when it comes to total impact avoidans and safety.

Reactions: Boatguy
A car in front of him hit the brakes and his tesla did the same, without considering how fast the Mercedes behind him was going. The Mercedes slamed into his Model S - tototaling the Mercedes and leaving my friend with wiplash and spinal and uper neck injury.

I'm not sure there could be a good outcome to that scenario. What would you have the Model S do? Not stop and slam in to the car in front that had stopped?

Reactions: MP3Mike
There are maybe no good outcome in this scenario, but flashing the back light to try getting the drivers attention - detect incoming car - tightning safty belt and so forth.
I would like to be able to choose my Tesla to have a certain distance from also the car behind. Ex. In tight traffic tell it to have same distance from front and the car behind me, giving the driver behind a better raction time.
My friends car was an AP1 Tesla with AP not software activated, just for info

My personal opinion is that my Model S AP2 is suppose to be a technical "marvel ", but right now my 2015 e-Golf is only beaten by my Model S with it's range. It has better emergency breaking awareness and stopping, better self parking, better navigation, wider driving dynamic eco setup, 4 regen steps from 0 to full, better phone integration, better Digital Radio (DAB) integration, better app control /a lot more features and working rain sensor. I like my Tesla, but at many points Tesla need to update.

I would like to be able to choose my Tesla to have a certain distance from also the car behind. Ex. In tight traffic tell it to have same distance from front and the car behind me, giving the driver behind a better raction tim
So if the car behind you is too close you speed up? Do you keep speeding up? What do you do when the car ahead of you doesn't speed up? I'm not sure you've really thought this through.

To be rearended is much more dangerous that a front impact as you can most of the time brase your self for impact.
That's got to be the first time anyone has ever said this.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Normal traffic conditions - not autobahn - there are always be if's and but's. - As Elon says : “If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it.”

Sorry that I was vague- is better to be in the car were you rear-end another car than beeing in the car that's being rear-ended.

There are maybe no good outcome in this scenario, but flashing the back light to try getting the drivers attention - detect incoming car - tightning safty belt and so forth.
I would like to be able to choose my Tesla to have a certain distance from also the car behind. Ex. In tight traffic tell it to have same distance from front and the car behind me, giving the driver behind a better raction time.

My personal opinion is that my Model S AP2 is suppose to be a technical "marvel ", but right now my 2015 e-Golf is only beaten by my Model S with it's range. It has better emergency breaking awareness and stopping, better self parking, better navigation, wider driving dynamic eco setup, 4 regen steps from 0 to full, better phone integration, better Digital Radio (DAB) integration, better app control /a lot more features and working rain sensor. I like my Tesla, but at many points Tesla need to update.

This is your opinion and may not be the opinion of others. I'm happy you're satisfied with your e-Golf but IMHO it does not compare to a Tesla.

As the owner of a 2011 and 2014 Leaf, this should have been a 2012 or 2013 Leaf! They missed it by 4 years!

And I guarantee that you won't see 150 miles of range unless it's below 55 mph and no heater or AC.

But it's a great commuter /local car if that works for you. 0 maintenance $ in 6 years- et tu, BMW?

Reactions: gaswalla
Good way to shorten your battery life by introducing more cycles!

Nobody forces you to have it on by default, but might be useful in a pinch.

And wake up to an empty battery after a late night summer power outage.
Just how much power does your home consume?
I have a monster consumption of 4megawatt-hours/month and that's only 110kWh in 24 hours, a lot less at night than during the day too.

Overall I don't see why Tesla resists this and even goes as far as threatening to void your warranty if you try to extract power from your battery.
They already do not warranty the battery against degradation. So just have a HPWC with inverter (bonus: everybody would rush to buy a new version), it's already conveniently connected to both phases in the house so can power the whole house (when desired).
Don't make it automatically kick in too (manual step to ensure the mains breaker is off).
If anything, that would make it real great to be able to open your garage door when the power is out, so you can go run some errands or whatnot .

The only tricky part is how to ensure people go to charge at supercharger and then power their house with that regularly, but I am sure you can work around that with some restrictions about how you are required to charge at home for X kWh before being able to use that mode or some such.

Something does not seem right to me here...

car in front of him hit the brakes and his tesla did the same, without considering how fast the Mercedes behind him was going. The Mercedes slamed into his Model S - tototaling the Mercedes and leaving my friend with wiplash and spinal and uper neck injury

So, AEB not AP at all. And if AEB triggered, then it was catastrophic but you probably don't want to lay any blame what with the "whiplash" etc. so I guess I've been trolled.