Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's What's Missing from Self-Driving Cars: TRUST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should be here in Sept. Finally. After 5+ years. It was demonstrated in early 2012 to the press. Cadillac testing 'Super Cruise' feature for future cars. So it was probably started much earlier. This was pre-Model S. Sure, Cadillac could have released it and updated it with OTA updates (OnStar based OTA has been happening for about a decade to little fanfare), but I'd guess that GM is risk-adverse when it comes to litigation.

Read and watch:

Putting Cadillac's self-driving Super Cruise technology to the test

Much of the recent delay has been regulatory. But after the NHTSA decided running into trucks is an acceptable behavior for a self-driving feature, Cadillac can now proceed.

That being said, my wife did not want that feature in a car. The ability of a car to encourage distracted driving is not a safety feature, it's a safety hazard. AEB/ACC/LKA/BSA are fine. Pretending the car will always make the correct life-or-death decision better than a experienced driver has not been supported by any company yet.

I think GM restarted and mapped highways with Lidar after falling short with a simpler approach. This is perhaps Tesla's future.

Supercruise adaptive cruise control plus effort eventually merges with their FSD effort.

In the advent of a new technology, it is good to have different people using different approaches. It is way too early to judge a winner. Regarding trust issue, we should realize this is early days and it will be many many years before the technology is ready for Level 5. Regardless of what any manufacturer claims. Drivers who buy and use this technology in this period must take personal responsibility... as they always have every time they get behind a wheel. I have no problem trusting manufacturers and their systems because I try to keep realistic expectations. I do have a problem trusting other drivers, but that's nothing new.

Supercruise doesn't have auto lane change either. Too difficult for GM, apparently.

Tesla owners sometimes struggle with the auto lane change technology Tesla has released, as it is capable of causing potential collisions when there are speed deltas between lanes. It's blind spot technology is not state-of-the-art as currently implemented.

I can tell you that the existing GM Blind Spot Alert tech is very good from personal experience. It has a longer range on the CT6 than any other system I've driven and ID's more threats, more rapidly.

And the AEB that GM has is way, way, ahead. It works on visually undetectable objects at night at twice the headlight range via thermal imaging and radar. The AEB has tactile alerts, visual alerts, audio alerts, brake boost, then OMFG max braking effort. It even works in reverse.

Lots of folk make the same mistake you do. They have been lead to believe that software is not GM's strong suit. Nothing could be further from the truth. Flying Car Logic, the first effective track quality active handling (SC), the first high HP, high MPG, engine controls that meet Super Low Emissions, first workable automatic crash response system, etc.

And even the lowly Volt has drivetrain technology that has not be surpassed by any PHEV for 7 years and counting, which is a long time in auto tech.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Tesla owners sometimes struggle with the auto lane change technology Tesla has released, as it is capable of causing potential collisions when there are speed deltas between lanes. It's blind spot technology is not state-of-the-art as currently implemented.

I can tell you that the existing GM Blind Spot Alert tech is very good from personal experience. It has a longer range on the CT6 than any other system I've driven and ID's more threats, more rapidly.

And the AEB that GM has is way, way, ahead. It works on visually undetectable objects at night at twice the headlight range via thermal imaging and radar. The AEB has tactile alerts, visual alerts, audio alerts, brake boost, then OMFG max braking effort. It even works in reverse.

Lots of folk make the same mistake you do. They have been lead to believe that software is not GM's strong suit. Nothing could be further from the truth. Flying Car Logic, the first effective track quality active handling (SC), the first high HP, high MPG, engine controls that meet Super Low Emissions, first workable automatic crash response system, etc.

And even the lowly Volt has drivetrain technology that has not be surpassed by any PHEV for 7 years and counting, which is a long time in auto tech.

Auto Lane change is HARD. So hard that before Autopilot was enabled most people thought Tesla couldn't do it.

You probably recall that in December 2014 Bertel Schmitt made a famous bet that he would eat his hat if Tesla was able to pull it off within a year. Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes!

"P.S.: If that Autopilot changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk by, say, one year from now, in a series Model D, I will publicly eat a Tesla baseball hat on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. How about it, Elon?"​

Of course he later welched on his bet.

Auto Lane change is extremely handy -- not just to have the lane change but not to have to re-engage the system every time you change lanes. I use it every time I am on the freeway. If GM could have done this with Supercruise, I am confident they would have.

Last edited:
Auto Lane change is HARD. So hard that before Autopilot was enabled most people thought Tesla couldn't do it.

You probably recall that Bertel Schmitt made a famous bet that he would eat his hat if Tesla was able to pull it off, which of course he later welched on. Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes!

Auto Lane change is extremely handy -- not just to have the lane change but not to have to re-engage the system every time you change lanes. I use it every time I am on the freeway. If GM could have done this with Supercruise, I am confident they would have.

Several automakers do autolane change already, Including volvo propilot 2. Its not hard.

What you are referring is the statement of people saying that tesla didnt have enough sensors to do autochange efficiently because they had no side radars and their ultrasonic they relied on had limited range.

And they were right.

That has nothing to do with it being hard or easy. And its pretty darn easy, especially during high speed with free flowing traffic.

Reactions: oktane
It's been about 3 months since I purchased my MS and I find myself using autopilot less everyday. Trust is a major factor. It has eroded with AP and Tesla as a whole.

I'm still on 17.17.4 (smooth as a dull razor). While software improvements have been made since purchase, my lack of trust with the technology and the general inability of AP to comfortably handle highway driving has made the feature less desirable.

AP was one of the primary reasons I purchased the car, but until it actually does what Tesla marketed it as, I will probably just resort to using it in stop-and-go traffic for the most part.

Expectations were pretty high after taking in the sales pitch and test driving AP1. I am at least thankful that our vehicles are capable of being upgraded with newer versions of AP software. However I am quite tired of the over-promising from Elon and company.

I want to love the car, but I just don't - at least not yet. Knowing what I know now, I would have delayed my purchase.

Several automakers do autolane change already, Including volvo propilot 2. Its not hard.

What you are referring is the statement of people saying that tesla didnt have enough sensors to do autochange efficiently because they had no side radars and their ultrasonic they relied on had limited range.

And they were right.

That has nothing to do with it being hard or easy. And its pretty darn easy, especially during high speed with free flowing traffic.

AFAIK Volvo still struggles with 3rd lane intrusion, high speed deltas, and motorcycle lane splitting. The GM system ID's these threats consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno

And they were right.

I peeked through the Volvo XC90 2018 owner's manual and the discussion of Pilot Assist described only lane keeping, not auto lane change. https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2018/XC90_OwnersManual_MY18_en-US_TP23252.pdf If I missed something I'm sure you'll point it out. ;)

Also, Bertel Schmitt's hat eating bet was as unambiguous as they come -- he said he'd eat his baseball cap if Autopilot were able to change lanes with the flick of a turn signal. He did not have all those caveats that you add.

In any case, if Auto Lane change were as easy as you claim it does not say much for Supercruise that it won't have that capability two years after Tesla introduced it.

Last edited:
Wow, so super cruise map restricted to highways? Maybe Tesla ought to do that, I'd love to see the anger threads then...

Because every parent wants cars in their neighborhood lacking effective AEB that can ID children? These will be driven on city streets only by idiots who are too busy to look forward when they drive?

Last edited:
In any case, if Auto Lane change were as easy as you claim it does not say much for Supercruise that it won't have that capability two years after Tesla introduced it.

The thing that makes this hard to estimate is the fact that other automakers clearly take vastly less risks compared to Tesla when it comes to automated features. You could say they are more conservative. MobilEye also pointed this out when distancing themselves from Tesla, that they were quite unique in pushing the tech beyond what it was meant to be.

Tesla early-ships an upgradeable beta, while others tend to work on a product in private and then release it in a more final form (in all meanings of that word).

It is unlikely most manufacturers would have dared to release auto lane change without proper blind spot detection as Tesla has done. Audi has demonstrated very reliable auto lane changes already in their self-driving prototype car, yet the first production implementation of that system will not enable them - because they start out very conservatively to be on the safe side. This is a Level 3 system, not Level 2, mind you...

So, very hard to say which part is the more conservative (or responsible?) approach to releasing features, and which is showing difficulty or inability...

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
The thing that makes this hard to estimate is the fact that other automakers clearly take vastly less risks compared to Tesla when it comes to automated features. You could say they are more conservative. MobilEye also pointed this out when distancing themselves from Tesla, that they were quite unique in pushing the tech beyond what it was meant to be.

Tesla early-ships an upgradeable beta, while others tend to work on a product in private and then release it in a more final form (in all meanings of that word).

It is unlikely most manufacturers would have dared to release auto lane change without proper blind spot detection as Tesla has done. Audi has demonstrated very reliable auto lane changes already in their self-driving prototype car, yet the first production implementation of that system will not enable them - because they start out very conservatively to be on the safe side. This is a Level 3 system, not Level 2, mind you...

So, very hard to say which part is the more conservative (or responsible?) approach to releasing features, and which is showing difficulty or inability...

Exactly.

In this discussion people used the automatic lane changing that Tesla does. But, the reality is the user HAS to check to verify that its safe to change lanes before starting it. I do give Tesla credit for being able to change lanes smoothly, but it's not really what I would consider automatic lane changing. That won't happen until EAP is released.

We also have a tendency to fault MB for a crappy lane keeping system, but they purposely dumb it down.

So it's really just different approaches, and I'm glad there are different approaches.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
In this discussion people used the automatic lane changing that Tesla does. But, the reality is the user HAS to check to verify that its safe to change lanes before starting it.

Indeed. Tesla's auto lane chaning in AP1 or even EAP today does not see fast-approaching blind spot objects, nor does it timely warn of many close-up objects either due to the slowness of the ultra-sonics.

By contrast, Audi's self-driving system (indeed their driver aids for years) has been tested on the autobahn and uses rear-mounted dual radars to see much further and faster... it actually knows if something is approaching on the next lane. AND Audi has shown their self-driving car doing automatic (fully automatic, mind you, not through stalk) lane changes already a few years now...

Yet Audi apparently won't ship that feature yet this year, when their Level 3 system comes out. Why? Because they are conservative about it. At the same time Tesla is shipping a much more (much, much, much more) half-baked lane change than Audi has in their prototype/is refusing to ship yet. Different philosophy entirely. Nothing to do with ability.

Reactions: MS16
Mercedes made a crappy system intentionally and Audi (and everyone else) says they could do auto-lane change if they wanted to but didn't. Interesting.

Everyone says they could build a system as good as AP, but one problem -- they haven't done it. All they have are a bunch of lame excuses.

Mercedes made a crappy system intentionally and Audi (and everyone else) says they could do auto-lane change if they wanted to but didn't. Interesting.

Everyone says they could build a system as good as AP, but one problem -- they haven't done it. All they have are a bunch of lame excuses.
Meanwhile Subaru, Acura, ford and others don't make a lot of noise but offer many of the features. Different approaches. Let's see how it consolidates in 5 years.

@EinSV

Come on. Just because companies have different launch strategies for bringing products to the consumer market, is not automatically indicative of their private progress. That's like saying Google has not built a self-driving car...

Below is the system that Audi has been showing since 2010 or so in public (in its various stages). It is Level 3, so you can read a book. It auto lane changes right there on this video. The first car with this system is the new Audi A8 later this year. From what we know so far, they will not enable auto lane change from the start on the production car, because they are taking very careful steps for safety reasons. On the other hand, they are taking responsibility for the car and for its driving... that's beyond Tesla stuff. Why is Tesla avoiding the responsibility?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mmd and MS16

Tesla says they could build a system as good as AP1, but one problem -- they haven't done it (they actually said even more, they said it would be an "Enhanced" version and sold it for almost twice as much)

@EinSV

Come on. Just because companies have different launch strategies for bringing products to the consumer market, is not automatically indicative of their private progress. That's like saying Google has not built a self-driving car...

Below is the system that Audi has been showing since 2010 or so in public (in its various stages). It is Level 3, so you can read a book. It auto lane changes right there on this video. The first car with this system is the new Audi A8 later this year. From what we know so far, they will not enable auto lane change from the start on the production car, because they are taking very careful steps for safety reasons. On the other hand, they are taking responsibility for the car and for its driving... that's beyond Tesla stuff. Why is Tesla avoiding the responsibility?

If your only basis for saying how great it is happens to be a video... I suggest you hold your superlatives until either you can drive it or there are independent reviews.

@EinSV is biased and will continue to drink the Kool-Aid. He will continue to crap on other manufacturer's AP systems and extol the virtues of AP2 despite not having driven any of these cars. It is literally shocking to read someone's imagination becoming their own reality.

@Sawyer8888 I feel almost exactly the same as you do. I bought the car mainly for auto pilot and it has been a total letdown.

People that are happy that rhe car can basically keep a lane most of the time are deluding themselves. I have yet to see anything matching auto pilot one, let alone "Enhanced".