Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6-15 adapter looks like it's no longer on the store. If you have a need for any adapter, make sure to buy two. You never know when they'll become unavailable.

Heh. One reason for that might be that I ordered one each of the 6-15 and 6-50, but for some weird reason they shipped me two of each. :rolleyes: (I sent back the extras.)

Also my replacement NEMA 10-30 adapter arrived yesterday.

Bruce.

I think the leaning towards a 6-50 vs. 14-50 is that for a new install specifically for EV charging, you can omit the neutral conductor. Depending on the length of the run, and assuming 6AWG wire, this may be non-trivial savings. If you're paying an electrician to do it (vs. if you're skilled enough to install outlets like this yourself), there probably won't be very much savings in labor. But once you factor in the cost of the extra adapter, you'll probably come out even. But like @MIT_S60 said, if you previously had a 6-50 installed for a non-Tesla EV, it's probably cheaper to buy the 6-50 adapter for a Tesla, than paying an electrician to come out and swap the outlet (especially if it's a long run and they now have to add a neutral wire to make it a legal 15-40 outlet).

Me personally, I have a variety of reasons:
* I'm OCD, so want a complete set (yeah, this is probably the biggest reason)
* I don't live in California, so public EV charging is not plentiful. good to keep your options open
* Sometimes I travel to places that don't have any EV charging at all. good to keep your options open
* I'd be kicking myself so hard if I needed to charge, a 6-50 was miraculously available, and I didn't have the adapter, and instead had to take the major inconvenience of finding an RV park (or heck, even a supercharger. I'd rather charge at my destination than at a supercharger, if at all possible)

Yeah... those last three are really the same thing, and will likely never be a factor in reality. So I'll admit, it's all because I'm OCD :). I can't even claim that I plan on saving money on wire for a new construction home we're building soon. Cause I plan on doing wall connectors on a shared 100A circuit. And if I add an extra outlet "just-in-case" it'll be a 14-50, because it might as well be just-in-case for an RV, too.
I just wanted to report that a few weeks after ordering a 6-50 for my OCD, we booked an AirBNB. I was messaging the owner trying to determine the feasibility of using the dryer plug for charger. She messaged back and said "oh, we have a shop/garage on the property to with a welder plug. That should work, right?" Score!!

Reactions: KJD and thecloud
I'm wondering if anyone who bought a 14-30 adapter through @supratachophobia has contacted Tesla and received their replacement yet? I sent an email to ServiceHelpNA@ when the recall was first announced, explaining the situation, and they said they'd take care of it, but haven't heard anything since. In the meantime, I've received a replacement for my 10-30 adapter, which I bought from Tesla directly (actually bought it before getting my car).

Thanks,

Bruce.

I'm wondering if anyone who bought a 14-30 adapter through @supratachophobia has contacted Tesla and received their replacement yet? I sent an email to ServiceHelpNA@ when the recall was first announced, explaining the situation, and they said they'd take care of it, but haven't heard anything since. In the meantime, I've received a replacement for my 10-30 adapter, which I bought from Tesla directly (actually bought it before getting my car).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Even more interesting to your point, I have not received recall information for any of my personal adapters; 10-30, 14-30, 6-50.

Every day the excitement grows!

I contacted them when the recall was first announced and they essentially told me to go pound sand. I was going to wait until it seemed like they had mostly handled the recall before I contacted them again.
I've asked a few times at the Service Center and they told me to contact corporate. I contacted corporate several times and they basically said they would send notifications. I kept asking how they would know how to send notifications to those who didn't buy directly from Tesla and they didn't have an answer.

Too bad they don't do like other companies (like Cuisinart) which set up a web page where you can request a return shipping label and you ship the recalled item back to them and they ship you a replacement.

Reactions: MP3Mike

Thanks,

Bruce.
I purchased a 14-30 from @supratchophobia, and a 10-30 and a 14-30 (they were sold as a set) from another forum user. I contacted Tesla when the recall first happened, and they were amiable, but nothing happened. A few months later, I contacted them again, and they obviously didn't understand the situation. Once they did, they asked for the e-mail addresses of the people I had bought them from. I provided the e-mail addresses I had from PayPal transactions, and they said "okay!". A few days later my replacement 10-30 showed up. But I haven't seen any replacement 14-30s. I should probably e-mail them again.

I purchased a 14-30 from @supratchophobia, and a 10-30 and a 14-30 (they were sold as a set) from another forum user

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to send off another email, will report back when I get a response worth mentioning.

(Actually now that I'm looking back through my emails, the real response from corporate was that they'd create a case with my "local" service center, but for better or for worse, that's not well-defined in the SF Bay Area, as I've used multiple service centers within a 50 mile radius of my house. Anyway, no service center, or corporate, has gotten back to me so far.)

Bruce.

You know, it's not like some company makes these things on the black-market and Tesla has to worry about people returning counterfeit merchandise. These ONLY come from Tesla so I'm still a bit confused why some people are having trouble. I can only conclude that the risk was reevaluated (garages don't actually burn down) and therefore the priority to replace has been lowered.

You know, it's not like some company makes these things on the black-market and Tesla has to worry about people returning counterfeit merchandise. These ONLY come from Tesla so I'm still a bit confused why some people are having trouble. I can only conclude that the risk was reevaluated (garages don't actually burn down) and therefore the priority to replace has been lowered.
There's definitely a black market! I'd love to see the look on some inventory clerk's face when he opens a return package with a custom made 14-30 to 14-50 adapter, or a 14-50 with the center pin removed. to be fair such adapters are far more likely to cause a fire.

There's definitely a black market! I'd love to see the look on some inventory clerk's face when he opens a return package with a custom made 14-30 to 14-50 adapter, or a 14-50 with the center pin removed. to be fair such adapters are far more likely to cause a fire.
I want a selfie of you and the guy in the alley with his trenchcoat open and a variety of modified/mangled Tesla adapters lining the inside of it.

Why would they care whether the old one was modified? They are replacing them under recall, it doesn't matter what shape the old one is in. The only reason to get them back at all is to be sure they don't have liability for a defective unit.

Why would they care whether the old one was modified? They are replacing them under recall, it doesn't matter what shape the old one is in. The only reason to get them back at all is to be sure they don't have liability for a defective unit.

Right, I think they said they were going to recycle the returned units.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
Because my description was of adapters that weren't even originally under recall. An adapter built from off-the-shelf parts, and a 14-50 adapter (which was never recalled) modified to fit a 14-30.