Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, where's my $1000 worth of white paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He definitely is serious. OP has been trying to buy an entire set of OEM 19" wheels for $400 in cryptocurrencies saying you'll make a lot of money when they go up.

And I have been proven correct thus far. Litecoin bottomed out at $23, now it is at $42 on coinmarketcap. The price will bounce around for a while, but ultimately, someone would have made a nice profit, even more than the new cost of the wheels, if they were smart enough to take this deal. But the prices are up, and it's no longer as profitable for the wheel seller now. 400/23 = 17.4 LTC. And 17.4 * 42 = $730. That's what someone would have today, at a cost of only $400 to me a couple months ago, if they had taken my offer.

Don't try to challenge me on cryptocurrencies, I've been in the market and actively researching them since early 2013, and watching the highs and lows of the market prices. I know more than you, even when my deal sounds crazy.

Last edited:
But the prices are up, and it's no longer as profitable for the wheel seller now. 400/23 = 17.4 LTC. And 17.4 * 42 = $730.

You're missing the entire point completely. Nobody is going to sell a set of 19" oem rims for $400 or even $730 when they could be easily sold for ~$1000. They can buy much more of their own cryptos to gamble on. Nobody here would be stupid enough to even entertain your offer.

Don't try to challenge me on cryptocurrencies, I've been in the market and actively researching them since early 2013, and watching the highs and lows of the market prices. I know more than you, even when my deal sounds crazy.

I'm very well invested in this space holding 80 different tokens and build market intelligence products for crypto funds and exchanges. I'm 99% sure you know not much at all. If you did, you would realize much of what you think you know is often false.

Last edited:
You're missing the entire point completely. Nobody is going to sell a set of 19" oem rims for $400 or even $730 when they could be easily sold for ~$1000. They can buy much more of their own cryptos to gamble on. Nobody here would be stupid enough to even entertain your offer.

You never know, if I can spend $400 and get something for it that's worth more later, it's all good. Most people don't know about crypto coins, and it's not something you can understand well after reading about it for 10 minutes. Knowledge is power and profit, and cheap wheels for me.

And I'm well into 7 of the top 12 coins now, I've been buying over the past few months whenever the price dips, I've got 7 grand tied up in it now, and I'll just let it ride 1-3 years until the next big price boom comes around, and profit out of it. During the first several months of 2018, I was mining through NiceHash and acquiring BTC and XRP, but once mining became less profitable I stopped and held it in cash (not in BTC, as I felt its price was headed downwards) until the coin prices dipped more.

But back to the point of this topic. I'm displeased about Tesla not painting most of my car after I paid $1000 to get it done. For $1000 they can afford the extra paint to cover everything, and if they can't afford it, then they should get out of the car business.

• Disagree
Reactions: Elixir
You paid $1000 for the paint to be pearl white, not basic black. You did not pay $1000 to have paint wasted on areas that are never seen. This is just an overall dumb thread on many levels.

On a side note, I had a 1971 Plymouth Valiant and everything was perfect about it. Every square inch was painted included everything inside the dash. They went the extra mile and paint matched the tires to the body when i told them how stupid they were that the tires were still black and my car wasn't! Now that was customer service. I miss my 1971 Plymouth Valiant so much.

I am really in a quandary about this paint issue.
I honestly agree .... there is no need to paint unseen area .... including beneath the floor carpet and other upholstered areas.

But I draw the line on the door jambs. Leaving the door jambs primed, but unpainted is not acceptable.
The door jamb is 1) visible, 2) immediately adjacent to a painted finish, and 3} embarrassing when showing off your new $50k vehicle to family and friends. Supporters will say it saves weight, costs ........... I say it is unbecoming to see primer on such an expensive car.

I really don't care how Mercedes, or any other manufacturer handles the situation.
I don't want to see unpainted primer in such a conspicuous location every time I enter and exit the vehicle.

Reactions: BHCLUC and SJC3
I really don't care how Mercedes, or any other manufacturer handles the situation.
I don't want to see unpainted primer in such a conspicuous location every time I enter and exit the vehicle.

Thanks for letting us know how you feel. I used to worry about little things that bothered me too. Then I understood I was only here for a limited amount of time and started focussing on things that actually mattered.

StealthP3D -
Sir .... this entire thread is about opinions ..... as well as most of this forum..... as well as all the other forums.
The OP established the subject for this thread to be all about opinions.

I do wish writers would concentrate on facts, performance issues, useful suggestions, where the quality Service Centers are located and those to avoid and etc.
Unfortunately, Tesla (based on multitudes of comments on this forum) is experiencing some QC issues.
Some writers do not care about CQ issues ... others do. The differences generate interesting discussions.

BTW ... if we all "started focusing on things that actually matter" ..... we would not be reading and following the Tesla Motors Forum would we?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Elixir
I'm glad to know that Tesla isn't wasting resources and spraying unnecessary toxic solvents to paint portions of the car that are not seen.

True, we would never hear the end of it from the anti-EV crowd about how "non-environmental" a Tesla was if they painted the parts that didn't matter! It's bad enough as it is without giving them real ammunition!

Some writers do not care about CQ issues ... others do.

Sigh...it is the opinion of the majority of people that the lack of paint is not a "QC issue", it is pragmatic and intentional. It's the industry standard.

BTW ... if we all "focused on things that matter" ..... we would not be reading and following the Tesla Motors Forum would we?

I come here for the little nuggets of useful information. Threads like this, about nothing important, dilute the quality content.

I know automakers like to skimp and cut corners wherever they can to enhance their corporate profit, but this is going too far. I had a mobile service tech out to replace my frunk actuators yesterday, and while he had things apart, I was looking around in there and got a few photos. Look how much of the car isn't painted! These areas barely even got any overspray! I've seen videos of the Tesla cars going through the paint process, and I don't know how they managed to not even accidentally get more paint on the car!

Tesla, I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for white paint, and silly me presumed you'd do a good job. Now you're charging people TWO thousand bucks for more of this craptastic work. What kind of happy horsesh!t is this? The paint does not cost anywhere near what you charge for it, quit ripping us off on your overpriced options!!!

Come get my car, give me a P3D loaner, take mine back to Fremont, take it apart, and paint it right! That means put the white paint everywhere, I do not want to see any primer at all! And give me free EAP for my inconvenience!

How can I email Tesla corporate with photos of this?View attachment 376893
View attachment 376894View attachment 376895

You'd be even more upset if you paid $2500 for a less-than-perfect RED paint job. My other car is a 2017 BOLT ev and they charged less than $400 for a flawless Red metalic paint job. Now GM has its own problems but I hear you when you say you were overcharged a bit. The only thing I can say in Tesla's defense is that the price was accurately listed - and by the time you bought your vehicle you obviously must have known that Tesla assembly leaves something to be desired. Hey, at least the car works, hehe.