Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, where's my $1000 worth of white paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I know automakers like to skimp and cut corners wherever they can to enhance their corporate profit, but this is going too far. I had a mobile service tech out to replace my frunk actuators yesterday, and while he had things apart, I was looking around in there and got a few photos. Look how much of the car isn't painted! These areas barely even got any overspray! I've seen videos of the Tesla cars going through the paint process, and I don't know how they managed to not even accidentally get more paint on the car!

Tesla, I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for white paint, and silly me presumed you'd do a good job. Now you're charging people TWO thousand bucks for more of this craptastic work. What kind of happy horsesh!t is this? The paint does not cost anywhere near what you charge for it, quit ripping us off on your overpriced options!!!

Come get my car, give me a P3D loaner, take mine back to Fremont, take it apart, and paint it right! That means put the white paint everywhere, I do not want to see any primer at all! And give me free EAP for my inconvenience!

How can I email Tesla corporate with photos of this?
20190212_163750.jpg

20190212_163755.jpg
20190212_164013.jpg

I know automakers like to skimp and cut corners wherever they can to enhance their corporate profit, but this is going too far. I had a mobile service tech out to replace my frunk actuators yesterday, and while he had things apart, I was looking around in there and got a few photos. Look how much of the car isn't painted! These areas barely even got any overspray! I've seen videos of the Tesla cars going through the paint process, and I don't know how they managed to not even accidentally get more paint on the car!

Tesla, I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for white paint, and silly me presumed you'd do a good job. Now you're charging people TWO thousand bucks for more of this craptastic work. What kind of happy horsesh!t is this? The paint does not cost anywhere near what you charge for it, quit ripping us off on your overpriced options!!!

Come get my car, give me a P3D loaner, take mine back to Fremont, take it apart, and paint it right! That means put the white paint everywhere, I do not want to see any primer at all! And give me free EAP for my inconvenience!

How can I email Tesla corporate with photos of this?View attachment 376893
View attachment 376894View attachment 376895

I have parts of the car not painted that you can actually see in normal use and that's kind of shoddy IMO. Complaining that parts you are never going to see aren't painted is absurd. Many (all?) automakers aren't going to paint parts of the car that you are never going to see because paint costs $$ and margins on new cars are small. They will primer it and use corrosion resistance on it.

I have a horrible thought for you to process which is that most of the rest of the unibody you can't see is probably similarly unpainted.