Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi resolution audio?

Zacster

Sep 11, 2017
NYC
Does the M3 support Hi-res audio in any way currently? I can play 24/96 audio in my current car using a thumb drive sized DAC and the Apple camera adapter and it sounds so much better than CD. Does the M3 have an old fashioned aux input for something like this? I already pay for Qobuz as a high resolution music streaming service and would like to keep it with me.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Just put high quality lossless FLAC or something on a USB key, plug in the key, play from the key. No need for anything analog to get involved.

Otherwise no, you're gonna either get crap low quality with the built in streaming apps, or mediocre quality over bluetooth from a phone.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Does the M3 support Hi-res audio in any way currently? I can play 24/96 audio in my current car using a thumb drive sized DAC and the Apple camera adapter and it sounds so much better than CD. Does the M3 have an old fashioned aux input for something like this? I already pay for Qobuz as a high resolution music streaming service and would like to keep it with me.
It will support hi-Rez through the USB port. Not through any streaming services though.

Reactions: lUtriaNt

ianc

Nov 13, 2019
California
The USB music experience in the model 3 sux. It won't auto resume where it left off, randomly scans the entire drive, doesn't respect gain settings and the latest update completely broke album art. Good luck...

lUtriaNt

Mar 16, 2020
Los Angeles
in my use, usb drive music streaming does start on the last song and position played. shuffle is fine (but ive over 3K tracks and they get shuffled ok). if i want the best experience ill use poweramp and stream flac from my phone.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
The USB music experience in the model 3 sux. It won't auto resume where it left off, randomly scans the entire drive...
I almost always turn on my Tesla before getting to it (usually for climate control. When I do that, it always picks up where I left off and doesn't re-index. Sucks that this would be required, but works for me.

The playback control still sucks. I put up with it because it offers the best sound quality available.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
What do you think Tidal and Amazon HD are?
I call them services which are difficult to get started every day time you get in your car and ultimately don't allow you to experience the full range they offer due to the ways you have to get the signal to the Tesla (you still have to go through bluetooth, so there goes the quality).

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
I call them services which are difficult to get started every day time you get in your car and ultimately don't allow you to experience the full range they offer due to the ways you have to get the signal to the Tesla (you still have to go through bluetooth, so there goes the quality).
The Tesla is the incompatable piece of hardware in that equation.

Tidal and Amazon HD are absolutely capable of streaming Hi-Rez audio.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
The Tesla is the incompatable piece of hardware in that equation.

Tidal and Amazon HD are absolutely capable of streaming Hi-Rez audio.
Which is exactly what I was saying. Since the topic was germane specifically to audio on the Tesla I am not sure why you would think otherwise. Not sure what about my post you disagree with

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Which is exactly what I was saying. Since the topic was germane specifically to audio on the Tesla I am not sure why you would think otherwise. Not sure what about my post you disagree with
Oh I see. You started quoting posts that weren’t directed at you.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Oh I see. You started quoting posts that weren’t directed at you.
Shouldn't make a difference that it wasn't directed to me. Kind of standard message board protocol that a public message can be responded to by anyone. If you want it private, take it private.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
What do you think Tidal and Amazon HD are?

And Amazon Ultra HD which is 24/96 and up to 24/192... ive streamed that and it will gobble up bandwidth because it is definitely the full-fat whole-enchilada

although i also have to agree that it is utterly overkill in a moving car environment.

ianc

Nov 13, 2019
California
I almost always turn on my Tesla before getting to it (usually for climate control. When I do that, it always picks up where I left off and doesn't re-index

I do this too, but even then it usually doesn't work unless I first open the passenger door, close it, then walk around to get in the driver's side. Even this is not guaranteed. And even this is ridiculously stupid in a $65K car... And why, unless Tesla is really loving that premium bandwidth fee?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC