Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi resolution audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the M3 support Hi-res audio in any way currently? I can play 24/96 audio in my current car using a thumb drive sized DAC and the Apple camera adapter and it sounds so much better than CD. Does the M3 have an old fashioned aux input for something like this? I already pay for Qobuz as a high resolution music streaming service and would like to keep it with me.

Just put high quality lossless FLAC or something on a USB key, plug in the key, play from the key. No need for anything analog to get involved.

Otherwise no, you're gonna either get crap low quality with the built in streaming apps, or mediocre quality over bluetooth from a phone.

Does the M3 support Hi-res audio in any way currently? I can play 24/96 audio in my current car using a thumb drive sized DAC and the Apple camera adapter and it sounds so much better than CD. Does the M3 have an old fashioned aux input for something like this? I already pay for Qobuz as a high resolution music streaming service and would like to keep it with me.
It will support hi-Rez through the USB port. Not through any streaming services though.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
in my use, usb drive music streaming does start on the last song and position played. shuffle is fine (but ive over 3K tracks and they get shuffled ok). if i want the best experience ill use poweramp and stream flac from my phone.

The USB music experience in the model 3 sux. It won't auto resume where it left off, randomly scans the entire drive...
I almost always turn on my Tesla before getting to it (usually for climate control. When I do that, it always picks up where I left off and doesn't re-index. Sucks that this would be required, but works for me.

The playback control still sucks. I put up with it because it offers the best sound quality available.

What do you think Tidal and Amazon HD are?
I call them services which are difficult to get started every day time you get in your car and ultimately don't allow you to experience the full range they offer due to the ways you have to get the signal to the Tesla (you still have to go through bluetooth, so there goes the quality).

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I call them services which are difficult to get started every day time you get in your car and ultimately don't allow you to experience the full range they offer due to the ways you have to get the signal to the Tesla (you still have to go through bluetooth, so there goes the quality).
The Tesla is the incompatable piece of hardware in that equation.

Tidal and Amazon HD are absolutely capable of streaming Hi-Rez audio.

Reactions: wipster
I almost always turn on my Tesla before getting to it (usually for climate control. When I do that, it always picks up where I left off and doesn't re-index

I do this too, but even then it usually doesn't work unless I first open the passenger door, close it, then walk around to get in the driver's side. Even this is not guaranteed. And even this is ridiculously stupid in a $65K car... And why, unless Tesla is really loving that premium bandwidth fee?