Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High beams not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has always been like that: I thought I'd got some setting wrong and tried all settings and combinations to no avail. I don't have much cause to drive at night but if I do I have to keep the stalk pulled continually for the headlights to be on. A pain but what do you expect in a cheap car....

Mine has always been like that: I thought I'd got some setting wrong and tried all settings and combinations to no avail. I don't have much cause to drive at night but if I do I have to keep the stalk pulled continually for the headlights to be on. A pain but what do you expect in a cheap car....
Seriously? Time to get that fixed!

First drive in the dark tonight, and I can't get the high beams to work! Pulling the stalk towards me lights them OK, but pushing away does nothing! I have turned the Auto setting off. Is this a fault, or am I missing something simple?

Apologies if this stating the obvious ... which it is ... the lights settings (at least on mine) isn't just auto lights on or off. In addition to having the auto dipping on and off there's a setting for fully off that would give the behaviour you describe but there is also a manual setting for sidelights on or dipped lights on. Hopefully you've already gone through all the options. I'm thinking you do have a fault however because the lights normally reset to auto (not auto dipping) at the beginning of every drive.

Thanks for your replies, all. I have sorted the problem - it was me! The settings aren't that clear, as far as I can understand. The grey slider for lights has an auto setting. I presumed moving to the headlight setting would give me manual control. But I have to deselect the blue "Auto" symbol as well. Now all is as I want it!

Reactions: Irata
Thanks for your replies, all. I have sorted the problem - it was me! The settings aren't that clear, as far as I can understand. The grey slider for lights has an auto setting. I presumed moving to the headlight setting would give me manual control. But I have to deselect the blue "Auto" symbol as well. Now all is as I want it!
The "Auto" option is the default option, so you have to do what you do every time you drive

Out of interest... If you put the auto back on, or just start a new drive as it's the default, then does it still work?

I leave mine on auto and manual full beam works just fine - likewise I never use auto full beam.

Yep. The auto relates to headlights which reset back to auto for next drive. The blue headlight icon button next to it is the auto high beam. That persists across drives although certainly at one release (vision only cars and radar cars with iirc 2021.15.x branch), auto high beam would work regardless if you were in TACC or autopilot - I think that behaviour has changed - for us it coincided with summer so didn’t do much night driving.

Tl;dr the blue headlight icon button and auto setting are two completely different things

I tried using my high beams last night, the first time since taking delivery of my MYLR a week ago. Pulling it toward me worked as long as I held it. Pushing away from me did not turn it on... at first. Eventually it did give me continuous high... until it stopped working again. Yes, it is set to Auto. No, there was no other traffic that should cause Auto to shut it down. My drive with this no-yes-no experience was under ten minutes. I'll mess with it again tonight.

Yeah, the way I want Auto to work is that when I choose to use high beam it dims for oncoming traffic.

That's how it does work, but its slow to respond and also dips for more than oncoming traffic. So when you push stalk to turn high beam on, it may take a short while to activate or not activate until it does not detect anything, such as car lights (front and rear), street lights, or reflections such as from road signs.