Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Performance Tire life expectancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have an idea how many miles we can expect to see out of the High Performance Tires? Is it like the Lexus IS300 which used to (may still be the case, i dunno) only be good for around 10k miles? Seems like a significant portion (or vocal minority) of the people around here are worried about the nickles and dimes of the S. Having to change tires every year could add up quick on 21" tires. I get the impression that this group of forum goers wants the S but can only really afford the BlueStar.

I'm trying to get a good answer on this as well but it largely depends on what tire they decide to go with. You could always replace them with 21" all-season tires (if they're available in that size).

What are the actual tire sizes, have those specs been released? I'd guess 245/45/19 for the 19" wheels and 245/35/21 for the 21" wheels... Not a lot of options for the 21s...
Here are the tire sizes copied from my previous post.

1. 245 x 45 R19 and 2. 245 x 35 ZR 21 I believe these are fairly common sizes and should make tires fairly accessable.
Wow, I'm a good guesser (swear I haven't seen that pic of the tire size or your previous post. :smile:

Anyway, back to tire wear, you need to look at the UTQG rating - I see a very wide range of UTQG ratings for the 245/45/19 (over 500) which should wear very well - one should be able to get 40k miles out of a set of those depending on your driving style. On the other hand you have tires around 200 which should wear out in about 2/5ths the time or around 15k miles.

In the 245/35/21 size at best I see UTQG ratings around 300 and down to 140 - so expect to get substantially less mileage out of your typical 21" tire compared to your 19" tire.

The Advan Sports pictured earlier have a UTQG rating of 180. I wouldn't expect to get more much more than 15k miles out of them at best.

I put the Conti ExtremeContact DWS on my SLK and love 'em! Outstanding tire! I'm hoping Conti comes out with a DWS version for the 21" by the time I need to replace the tires. Otherwise I'll be driving 21" DW tires in the Summer and 19" DWS in the Winter. :(

The Continental ExtremeContact DW went from first to third in a TireRack.com review recently for performance tires but don't think the other two are in the correct size. It's still a great tire though.
Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters
but "The ExtremeContact DW trades off some handling precision for the best ride quality of the group.."

Last edited:
I have a picture of the rear tire from the Chicago Signature beta car and it's the the Continental ExtremeContact DW 245/35ZR21 tire. I didn't look at the front to double check but it looked the same size.