Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Performance Tire life expectancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a picture of the rear tire from the Chicago Signature beta car and it's the the Continental ExtremeContact DW 245/35ZR21 tire. I didn't look at the front to double check but it looked the same size.

This was on the rear of the Beta when it was displayed in Toronto.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3747&d=1324674236.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 833
Just put them on, so I can't speak to their wear yet. But they're doing a good job of sticking to the road and I don't have a light foot in my SLK.

Hi Mycroft,

Thanks for the response.

Can you give me a feel for how much do sport tires detract from the driving comfort when compared to standard tires in normal driving conditions?

Thanks.

Larry

The way I figure it, the 21 inch performance tires will last 15,000 miles average. If you are very concerned about high tire replacement costs, think of it this way. How much more would it be to have a "beater car", gas it up, carry the insurance for it AND do the maintenance for it? Replacing the tires for the Model S is cheaper still (1,200- not bad; the tires for my 2002 Mercury Cougar were the in the same ballpark AND that car was a garbage- 8 years and replacing the tires every other year).
When I get Model S, I'm keeping my Toyota for the first year, as a back-up see how I make out with the Model S, if the Model S works for snow, great, if not, I keep the Toyota as a winter car/shopping center car/gardening car (to take the dents and abuse that I would not want to subject the Model S to- Honestly that's all a Toyota or any ICE car is good for- as the whipping boy for the Model S).

Can you give me a feel for how much do sport tires detract from the driving comfort when compared to standard tires in normal driving conditions?

It's the depth of the sidewall that's the issue, not necessarily "sport" or non-sport. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that the ride/comfort would be that different between 19" and 21", but it would be noticeable if you were paying attention to it.

There are two main reasons for going with the 21" wheels:

1. Looks
2. More firm due to the shallower sidewalls. Better for performance with taking corners quickly. Less "squishy".

Reasons for going with the 19"

1. Much larger variety of tires, including all-season and snow tires that simply are not available with the 21"
2. 19" tires are possibly less expensive in other countries.
3. Somewhat more comfortable ride due to the thicker sidewall which adds flexibility to the tire.

1. Much larger variety of tires, including all-season and snow tires that simply are not available with the 21"
3. Somewhat more comfortable ride due to the thicker sidewall which adds flexibility to the tire.

4. The smaller tires may improve range a tiny bit; but more to the point, at 19" you can get the aero wheels, which improve range measurably (if still not a huge amount).

Hi Mycroft,

Thanks.

To get the superior grip aren't the performance tires softer than the standard tires and doesn't that mean they can have half the life expectancy of the standard tires?

Living in Florida I'm not concerned about all-season or snow tires. :wink:

Larry

Yep. Because they're more sticky, they'll lose tread faster than a standard tire. So if you don't plan on throwing your car around curves and you don't mind the looks of the 19" wheels, it's much more economical to select the 19" wheels and buy standard tires. I don't think they make standard tires for the 21" wheels.

You know Larry, you're almost talking me into choosing 19" wheels for my Sig Sport. :-/

Yep. Because they're more sticky, they'll lose tread faster than a standard tire. So if you don't plan on throwing your car around curves and you don't mind the looks of the 19" wheels, it's much more economical to select the 19" wheels and buy standard tires. I don't think they make standard tires for the 21" wheels.

You know Larry, you're almost talking me into choosing 19" wheels for my Sig Sport. :-/

Hi Mycroft,

If Tesla offerred the wheels Klaus (kvietor) referenced I would go that route. But I don't want to go to the trouble of buying a set of wheels and selling the ones with the car. I love the look of the turbine wheel so much that I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet at fork over the $3,500 along with higher maintenance costs. :frown:

Larry

Last edited:
The options and pricing page seems to imply the Performance Model S will have different 21" wheels from the 21" wheels on the standard Model S. The image makes the Performance version look like a dark grey color instead of silver. Is the difference just cosmetic or will the Performance 21" wheels also be wider?

The options and pricing page seems to imply the Performance Model S will have different 21" wheels from the 21" wheels on the standard Model S. The image makes the Performance version look like a dark grey color instead of silver. Is the difference just cosmetic or will the Performance 21" wheels also be wider?
It is a grey color (which I LOVE - had grey wheels on my Corvette) and (hopefully) they are lighter weight, possibly forged instead of cast to be stronger, etc. I doubt the sizes will be different. Note that nothing I have just typed (except the color comment) is confirmed by Tesla - I'm simply speculating/hoping.

How can you know what wheels will fit? You can guess at the wheel width - but not the hub offset.

When I asked a Tesla rep about snow tires, he told me that Tesla is not putting out a winter tire package right now, but since they are a standard size, I should easily be able to get a 3rd party winter wheel/tire combo. Once all the specs are out, if it isn't clear yet I'll email again and ask specifically what will be compatible. I'm assuming he's referring to 19" rims...

Last edited: